Which midfielder do you prefer?

lex talionis

Manchester United told signing Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham mould Premier League winning midfield - Manchester Evening News

Well yes, but it's hard to imagine the vault having enough to secure the acquisition of both Rice and Bellingham. But at least it seems there is no longer any plausible argument by anyone that Fred and McTominay are up to the job required of Manchester United midfielders, at least as regular starters. Coming off the bench, not a problem. But we need to get moving on shoring up a soft-bellied midfield.

Rice is a bit overhyped in my view, but then again he's British, he's prem-proven and he's still only 23, still a year or two younger than Carrick's age when he stepped up from Spurs to United.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The PSG fans don’t rate him. I personally think he’s great, but he’s had injuries and a poor run of form. No way is he worth 100m. More like 30-40m.
I am honestly not surprised by that statement :lol: :lol:. It shows how much they know about football. If he is available for that much, it would be a good business. Tbh, Thiago from bayern went for that much, so anything is possible.

marktan

Manchester United told signing Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham mould Premier League winning midfield - Manchester Evening News

Well yes, but it's hard to imagine the vault having enough to secure the acquisition of both Rice and Bellingham. But at least it seems there is no longer any plausible argument by anyone that Fred and McTominay are up to the job required of Manchester United midfielders, at least as regular starters. Coming off the bench, not a problem. But we need to get moving on shoring up a soft-bellied midfield.

Rice is a bit overhyped in my view, but then again he's British, he's prem-proven and he's still only 23, still a year or two younger than Carrick's age when he stepped up from Spurs to United.
Bellingham is even more hyped at that. He's nowhere near the quality we need, but again Dortmund will end up fleecing someone.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I am honestly not surprised by that statement :lol: :lol:. It shows how much they know about football. If he is available for that much, it would be a good business. Tbh, Thiago from bayern went for that much, so anything is possible.

Prime Thiago or Veratti? Who do you rate higher and why?

Both seem pretty similar in terms of qualities and playing style

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Prime Thiago or Veratti? Who do you rate higher and why?

Both seem pretty similar in terms of qualities and playing style
That is a good question. Both are underrated midfield maestro. Thiago has more flair and attacking prowness, but watching verratti play is like watching an orchestra as he can be very aggressive and also elegant as well. If I want a deep lying playermaker, I rate Verratti higher. If I want a box to box midfielder in the shape of deco rather than ballack or rice, I would rate Thiago higher.

Deery

Dreary
Tchoumeni DeJong

J Ramsey
I’d love to see a midfield of that, would do us about 8 years of top quality football before we’d have to worry about signing anyone again.

DSG

One of my best friends is a French PSG fan and every time I bring up Veratti, he starts to cuss in French :lol:

I think earlier in his career he was revered by the PSG fans, but recently he’s been viewed negatively. Not sure if it is the French press combined with injuries / lack of appearances, goals, etc.

Frankly, I don’t watch PSG often enough to formulate an opinion. In terms of a addition for us, I’d rather go a bit younger and less injury prone for that amount of cheddar.

RedKnight88

Tchoumeni DeJong

J Ramsey
I’d love to see a midfield of that, would do us about 8 years of top quality football before we’d have to worry about signing anyone again.
Not seen enough of Jacob Ramsey, But for me, I'd have this:

------------Jude Bellingham ----------------------Aurelien Tchouameni-------------
-----------------------------------------Frenkie De Jong -------------------------------------------------

Not realistic I know.:lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tchoumeni DeJong

J Ramsey
Would love a midfield like that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Anybody signing Bellingham to play in a double pivot should be fired. Into the Sun

ThemanGiggsy

Where is the De John talk coming from? i thought he was in that "untouchable" group at Barca, but i might have missed something.

if Pogba stays i would like Tchouameni or Bissouma. i wonder how much Ndidi would cost as well. he is pretty dynamic as a defensive midfielder.

anyone know if Poch or ETH prefer a three man midfield or have deployed a diamond? i would be fine with Zakaria this window simply because he is a cheap option. Using Garner or Hannibal some next season with an eye on Bellingham in 2023 would be good as well.

croadyman

------------Jude Bellingham ----------------------Aurelien Tchouameni-------------
-----------------------------------------Frenkie De Jong -------------------------------------------------

Yeah if we get one of them will be lucky

bucky

He's a great option
I agree. Considering that Frenkie de Jong seems completely unrealistic, I struggle to see a better midfielder available in terms of passing than him, especially at that price. I am a fan of Fabian Ruiz, but he would most likely cost more and might prefer to stay in Italy or go back to Spain. It shouldn't really matter, who the new manager is going to be, they'll need a midfielder like him. Whether it's ten Hag, Pochettino or someone else, they would appreciate him.

reddevilz007

Can we get these loans deal done asap, and sign Kamara or Zakaria on the cheap? It would allow us to play with two 8’s which seems to be our new go-to formation.

Martial is done deal. Now for Lingard, VdB and Bailly.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Imagine we spend 200m+ on these 2 players, and we still can’t hold a few pass together.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Imagine we spend 200m+ on these 2 players, and we still can’t hold a few pass together.
That's actually what would happen if you sign those two players for a CM double pivot

Deery

Dreary

Ramsey > Bellingham

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Tchouameni and Tielemans are two players i'd like to see at united. There are probably good alternatives out there, but we need reinforcements. Our midfield is disturbingly average.

We Need Another Rebuild

Rice/Tchouameni Tielemans
Bruno

Tielemans £30/£40 million will be in the final year of his contract
Rice £80-100 million as prem and english tax but the best DM out their
Tchouameni £50/£60 million great ball winner not the most technical so dependant on manager

That midfield competes with any midfield in the world with Garner & Hannibal as rotation options unless Forest go up then i would leave Garner there for a year in the prem

SAF is the GOAT

Why have we not gone for Kamara. For 10million he would be a bargain.
Because he's probably slightly better that McFred and I would imagine that the club will want to focus on a long term and better targets in the summer

Pirlo'sBeard

Very risky approach.

There's no guarantee of top four. Without Champions League, some players will no longer be interested or we will have to pay astronomical wages.

It would be very foolish to not bring in a midfielder now. Particularly if Martial, Lingard and Donny are leaving. Kamara is cheap and risk free.

Dr. StrangeHate

We supposedly have a DOF but he can't get one single midfielder in to make up the numbers (and be slightly better than McFred) from the whole planet. If Fred or McT get injured we are not going to get Top 4.

Deery

Dreary
We supposedly have a DOF but he can't get one single midfielder in to make up the numbers (and be slightly better than McFred) from the whole planet. If Fred or McT get injured we are not going to get Top 4.
Pogba will be coming back shortly, I’d rather we made the right transfer without being stuck with another deadwood for 4 years.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Where is the De John talk coming from? i thought he was in that "untouchable" group at Barca, but i might have missed something.

if Pogba stays i would like Tchouameni or Bissouma. i wonder how much Ndidi would cost as well. he is pretty dynamic as a defensive midfielder.

anyone know if Poch or ETH prefer a three man midfield or have deployed a diamond? i would be fine with Zakaria this window simply because he is a cheap option. Using Garner or Hannibal some next season with an eye on Bellingham in 2023 would be good as well.
Sigh.

CloneMC16

Ndidi > Rice

And likely 20, 30 million cheaper.
Rice is better on the ball than Ndidi. Ndidi is a better ball winner, but Rice is a better all around player. He's also 2 years younger.

Ndidi's cost won't be that far off from Rice's. Leicester won't want to sell. They also don't need to. Both will cost a fortune. A lot of teams in the PL don't need to sell any more. You won't sign their good players on the cheap.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In order of preference...

#6 - Rice, Tchouameni, Kamara, Brozović, Bissouma
#8 - Guimaraes, Bennacer, Kessie, Neves
So Guimaraes to Newcastle and Kessie to Barca. Watch someone else like Arsenal get Kamara, Bennacer decide he wants to stay, Spurs get Brozović, then us get priced out of a move for Rice and Tchouameni. "Who do we buy though?".

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tchouameni and Tielemans are two players i'd like to see at united. There are probably good alternatives out there, but we need reinforcements. Our midfield is disturbingly average.
And would cost 150m for them 2. Or we couldve signed Guimaraes and Kessie for a combined... 32m. Or can sign Brozović/Kamara both on a free. Or Bennacer for probably not too dissimilar a price to Guimaraes.

The reason we struggle to buy players for good prices is because we don't look at players available for good prices. We have a lot to do this summer yet are letting good priced quality players go elsewhere without a sniff. 0 imagination or scouting evidence in our transfers. Literally they're like a kid is in charge and only wants the big shiny toy that he's told he can't get so he tries to get it for 100m and nobody else matters, not even if they're a better player for free.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If we can raise £60-80m from sales, use that on Bellingham. Then use actual funds for Rice.

Boom! CM sorted for ten years* and we can then look at strengthening other areas over the next window. Better full back etc.

*hyperbole