Which midfielder do you prefer?

Pughnichi

For me, the biggest attributes for any new midfielder coming in are the combination of first touch and off the ball movement/positioning.

Why? Because our build up from defence to midfield is what hinders us from completely destroying teams. That is why we can have one of the deadliest counter attacks in the world, but struggle for 10/20 minutes to get the ball into the oppositions final third. Bruno creates chances, Rashford has created chances, Pogba creates chances, Sancho will create chances, even Cavani can create chances. However, if we are not able to move the ball quickly enough to create time and space for these players, we won't create enough chances.

The reason we don't get to those creative zones often enough is because our defenders have struggled to get the ball into midfield, with the main issue being that our midfielders do not have the awareness, first touch, positioning or balance to either collect the ball and distribute or recieve the ball and move it quickly. Every other top team in Europe has at least one, mostly 2 players that can do this; we have none. I would personally prefer a DM, but any player who can do this, Saul, Camavinga, etc would drastically improve us in that area.
great post. Entirely agree. If I recall correctly, Fred was supposed to be that man and it was McKenna with an apparent big influence with that transfer based on plenty of reports at the time that one of his scouted strengths was his ability to receive the ball on the turn and release the ball forward

My choice - Kroos or Tielemans.

Real already said they will sell at the right price. Tielemans has only 2 years left

Hope , we don't sign Rice .
Kroos would be Schweinstieger with a different hairstyle. That ship sailed a long time ago, Casemiro too.

Tielemans would be a good signing but is he enough of a holding player for us? Camavinga is the one to go for in my opinion.

Idxomer

He can't dislodge Bruno/Fred/Scott and we have to play him at the wing to give him playing time which he won't get now that we have Sancho.
But somehow he played 26 games in central midfield and that's too in a season where he needed two months to recover from covid.

Kingslayer18

If Pogba does go, we should look at revamping the midfield. We should be looking for 2 midfield replacements that can play well with Bruno. My picks would be Camavinga/Tchouameni and Fabian Ruiz. Both defensively decent, with Ruiz a great passer of the ball from deep, whilst Camavinga can provide the dribbling

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it’s clear that the fans on here don’t agree with what kind of midfielder we want. Personally I don’t think Ole believes in DMs and instead is looking to play two number 8s who can go both ways, in a similar style to Sir Alex. First and foremost we need a good passer of the ball more than any defensive qualities.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We already needed a defensive midfielder to play 433, even if Pogba stayed. If he goes then we still need that plus a more progressive midfielder to replace Pogba

flappyjay

All the pieces we have are complemented by a sitting dm who can pass from deep. Vdb, McTominay, Fred are natural box to box mids. I don't know who but they should find a dm who seats and passes from deep. Basically a younger Matic.

BarstoolProphet

Neves and someone like Aouar. Camavinga would be ideal instead of Neves, just not convinced he fancies us.
Was Neves really that much talked about before he got linked to us by Talksport (?) last week? I mean he hasn't been impressive at all this season from what I've seen of Wolves, so don't really see what he would bring at this point.

great post. Entirely agree. If I recall correctly, Fred was supposed to be that man and it was McKenna with an apparent big influence with that transfer based on plenty of reports at the time that one of his scouted strengths was his ability to receive the ball on the turn and release the ball forward
Fred can do that.

Fred's problem is that he always shows for the ball even when he shouldn't and if he doesn't have an immediate pass and has to hold the ball, he is easy to overwhelm. Our opponents know its only him who will ever take the ball from defence so they can sit off him in numbers waiting to close him down. He also likes to play quick tempo passing whereas Matic and McToninay are players who like to get hold the ball and run with it.

We have to decide whether we want a midfield that plays in Fred's style or not. Verrati would have been perfect.

CG1010

For me, the biggest attributes for any new midfielder coming in are the combination of first touch and off the ball movement/positioning.

Why? Because our build up from defence to midfield is what hinders us from completely destroying teams. That is why we can have one of the deadliest counter attacks in the world, but struggle for 10/20 minutes to get the ball into the oppositions final third. Bruno creates chances, Rashford has created chances, Pogba creates chances, Sancho will create chances, even Cavani can create chances. However, if we are not able to move the ball quickly enough to create time and space for these players, we won't create enough chances.

The reason we don't get to those creative zones often enough is because our defenders have struggled to get the ball into midfield, with the main issue being that our midfielders do not have the awareness, first touch, positioning or balance to either collect the ball and distribute or recieve the ball and move it quickly. Every other top team in Europe has at least one, mostly 2 players that can do this; we have none. I would personally prefer a DM, but any player who can do this, Saul, Camavinga, etc would drastically improve us in that area.
Completely agree with this. A midfielder with the ability to pass through the lines is most crucial. Right now all our attacking play comes from the full backs.

Danish Wizard

Youri Tielemans
Joshua Kimmich
Leon Goretzka

Would be my top 3 wishlist. Impossible? Perhaps. But they would all go straight into the team and strengthen the line up. And be quality for several years. More consistent than Pogba too.. Lets see.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Was Neves really that much talked about before he got linked to us by Talksport (?) last week? I mean he hasn't been impressive at all this season from what I've seen of Wolves, so don't really see what he would bring at this point.
So when Wolves were doing well, people were saying we should throw silly money for him as a Matic replacement. I was not in that camp, but for me he has obvious qualities none of our midfielders posses and the few rumours floating around about price and desire to come, so it makes it a good move. If it was carte blanche, I'd be saying Pedri/Verratti/De Jong, but not convinced any of those are obtainable.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He can't dislodge Bruno/Fred/Scott and we have to play him at the wing to give him playing time which he won't get now that we have Sancho.
This is all made up though. He can, and will dislodge one of Fred/Scott - and has done many times.

When fit, Pogba starts far more often than he doesn’t. Whether that has been on the left or in midfield. I’ve read numerous posts claiming that Pogba is ‘now a left winger’ and implying that he spent a season playing there. He played several games in midfield, and if he stays, will play several more in midfield. He is not a squad player, as much as you may wish he were, because he typically plays when fit.

Redcy

We can't go into next season losing Pogba and bringing in Camavinga, that is literally saying we will play with McFred next season, does anyone really believe we can mount a challenge with McFred as our two big midfielders? Camavinga is not coming into the first team in his first year in the PL at 18 and playing any big number of games, and its not fair to expect it of him, he will get absolutely destroyed and his confidence will be shot. The option might be Camavinga/Neves as that is solid enough and allows us to bring Camavinga on slowly whilst still being affordable.

Still don't see Camavinga coming to us though, I think PSG will come in at the last minute and snatch him up, whilst he waits for Real to come good.

vva

In my opinion, Franck Kessié is exceptional on DMC role with goals and assists. Unfortunately, he prefer to extend his contract with AC milan. Apart from him, I think Ibrahim Sangaré from PSV who is his partner in Ivory coast is also great defensive midfielder, just not product much goals and assists.

The White Pele

It all depends on what happens with Pogba. If he stays then the consensus would be we need a more defensive player that could make that partnership work. If he goes then maybe Fred or McTominay could actually forge a good enough partnership with his replacement.

If Pogba goes my preferred option would be Tielemans if the fee is achievable. He has 2 years left on his contract I believe and must be looking for his next move. He would be a great solution IMO and has only just turned 24.

If Matic left too and we managed to find the money from other player sales to get someone like Camavinga as well then we’re in fantasy land.

Jacob

Goretzka, I think.

Alternatively, continue with the young blood and get Camavinga.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It would be sensational if we could sign Camavinga who is now 18 years of age, and nuture him alongside Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford, Diallo etc....what a nucleus of a team for years to come.
But there are so many questions about our Midfield, and the type of MF that would be targeted.
The more I think about Neves, the more I think he could be ideal, and would really provide good balance to the three.
Saul Niguez is a player that I've always liked, and what strikes me about him is the tempo that he plays at, I think he would be great alongside Bruno, but you'd still need more of a ball winner in there too.
Personally, I'm not convinced about a pure defensive player in there, I think we need someone offering a lot more than just shielding the back four..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You were the one who mentioned dreams and him being in them....get a grip mate!!
And I’ve just explained why. Your assertion of Pogba being a squad player doesn’t reflect reality. The irony of making such a claim and then telling me to ‘get a grip’. A player that the club are trying to persuade to stay by offering hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. Can only be more in hope than anything else that you have declared Pogba a squad player.

misterparsley

Florian Grillitsch, a two footed holding midfielder from Austria. I thought he was outstanding in the Euros. Plays for 1899 Hoffenheim

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Youri Tielemans
Joshua Kimmich
Leon Goretzka

Would be my top 3 wishlist. Impossible? Perhaps. But they would all go straight into the team and strengthen the line up. And be quality for several years. More consistent than Pogba too.. Lets see.
Kimmich would be the dream,

Fantastic in the middle, plus offers cover at RB,

Never going to happen though unfortunately.

Zoo

Real Madrid are desperate for cash, put in a cheeky bid for Fede Valverde.

Being serious though I’m pretty open to Camavinga, Neves, Saul or Rice (the main ones we are linked to). They’d all add something to the team.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Camavinga fits the age profile of the current squad, however having a slightly older DM might help add stability to the entire line up.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Some good negotiating could get us Neves and Camavinga with the Pogba money and I would be very happy with that.

Although I think Pogba will likely leave on a free next summer. It gives him a much greater option of clubs and more money for him and his greedy agent.

Bondi77

And I’ve just explained why. Your assertion of Pogba being a squad player doesn’t reflect reality. The irony of making such a claim and then telling me to ‘get a grip’. A player that the club are trying to persuade to stay by offering hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. Can only be more in hope than anything else that you have declared Pogba a squad player.
The reason why they are offering him a lot of money is be cause for some strange reason he has a huge social media following and I acknowledge that when he is in form he is a very good player and would start games, it is when he is not and then becomes a liability it is the issue and that is why I call him a squad player.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This has to be their worst one I've seen, their criteria states imposing physical profile and all the suggestions are players under 5 ft 9 :lol: .
Tifo is the biggest pile of crap,

Some very bizzare suggestions in that video - :lol:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Some good negotiating could get us Neves and Camavinga with the Pogba money and I would be very happy with that.

Although I think Pogba will likely leave on a free next summer. It gives him a much greater option of clubs and more money for him and his greedy agent.
It sucks that we would lose out on a fee, but there's upsides too.

One of the reasons he has always played is because of the these contract negotiations coming up. He wouldn't have the undroppable status anymore. He could be useful against a low block and we could use him from the bench in big games instead of dropping a winger and forcing Rashford to play on the right.

He's scored less playing on the wing than in the pivot. He was good against PSG and Milan, but did feck all in the PL from the wing.

We could still get a midfielder in by selling other players (Lingard, James, Pereira, Dalot, etc). I'd help Barca out and go for the De Jong :)

stevoc

This has to be their worst one I've seen, their criteria states imposing physical profile and all the suggestions are players under 5 ft 9 :lol: .
Yeah I noticed that myself, I think Tifo quite often spout nonsense to be fair see anyone of their Lingard videos.

The Fred fans won't like that video either for suggesting it would be fairly easy to upgrade on Fred.