Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

Vanya

I've often seen Mourinho, before sending Pogba on , gesturing with his hand asking him to sit at the center circle ahead of Matic and dictate the tempo. Even though Pogba has played there for France, its not his best position.

This really emphasises the need Mourinho has for a playmaker that can sit alongside Matic and take responsibility for dictating play. One can't blame Mourinho for beliveing that Pogba would have been perfect for such a role. He can pick a pass and protects the ball really well with his physique and skill. But unfortunately for Jose, Pogba's defensive work rate and positioning are atrocious.

I won't be surprised if Mourinho goes for a physically strong, tactically astute, box to box player with a high defensive work rate, not neccessarily a playmaker to fill that role next to Matic.

How many playmakers out there can defend like he expects McTominay to in every match. The weaknesses of playing Matic with a playmaker like Fabregas were there for all to see in Jose's Chelsea team. Unless we unearth a playmaker that can pass the ball like Fabregas and defend like McTominay, I see Jose going in for a box-box player like Fred or Doucoure rather than a playmaker like Seri (Unless of course an elite playmaker becomes available like Kroos or Verratti, but that's not going to happen IMO).

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I've often seen Mourinho, before sending Pogba on , gesturing with his hand asking him to sit at the center circle ahead of Matic and dictate the tempo. Even though Pogba has played there for France, its not his best position.

This really emphasises the need Mourinho has for a playmaker that can sit alongside Matic and take responsibility for dictating play. One can't blame Mourinho for beliveing that Pogba would have been perfect for such a role. He can pick a pass and protects the ball really well with his physique and skill. But unfortunately for Jose, Pogba's defensive work rate and positioning are atrocious.

I won't be surprised if Mourinho goes for a physically strong, tactically astute, box to box player with a high defensive work rate, not neccessarily a playmaker to fill that role next to Matic.

How many playmakers out there can defend like he expects McTominay to in every match. The weaknesses of playing Matic with a playmaker like Fabregas were there for all to see in Jose's Chelsea team. Unless we unearth a playmaker that can pass the ball like Fabregas and defend like McTominay, I see Jose going in for a box-box player like Fred or Doucoure rather than a playmaker like Seri (Unless of course an elite playmaker becomes available like Kroos or Verratti, but that's not going to happen IMO).
Totally agree

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jose must be pretty bad at spotting talents then.
Or he can't use certain type of players as good as others can. He even dropped Modric in biggest games and only after Jose left he was considered as best midfielder in the world.

GM K

Or he can't use certain type of players as good as others can. He even dropped Modric in biggest games and only after Jose left he was considered as best midfielder in the world.
Just because the likes of young KDB and Salah could not get into his star studed squads? And Modric was having a tough first season (as 'bad' as what Sanchez is having now)?

I don't think so.

roonster09

Scout
Just because the likes of young KDB and Salah could not get into his star studed squads? And Modric was having a tough first season (as 'bad' as what Sanchez is having now)?

I don't think so.
Star studded, tough first season so was dropped for almost all big games. Keep the excuses coming. Wonder when you guys will make Jose responsible for atleast 1 thing.

Footyislife

Tuchel, Jardim, or Poch. Either of those three will be cheaper. Probably recall TFM and Pereira. Play TFM as the DM, Matic as the holding, and give Pogba a free role in midfield 3 on the left. I'd personally play Herrera in for Matic sometimes to give him more of a break, but that's just me.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I think matic can free pogba provided we have good fullbacks to track back. But since we are selling pereira, fellaini and herera, i would not mind adding a more iniesta kind of midfielder. How is schrulle doing by the way.

GM K

Star studded, tough first season so was dropped for almost all big games. Keep the excuses coming. Wonder when you guys will make Jose responsible for atleast 1 thing.
Jose is responsible for our embarrassing exit from the CL as far as I am concerned. No matter how anyone swings it, I am convinced he should take the rap for that disgraceful performance. He is also responsible for some of our poor performances in the big games. He is responsible for a whole lot of things but I think people need to chill. Overall, he has improved United, even if not at the pace we desire. We need to cut him some slack and at least respect his history. The fact is that he was the one who went after Modric. He had always wanted him since he was at Chelsea. He even wanted him after he left Madrid. Modric was simply having a poor start to his Madrid career and everyone - media, pundits, fans, etc - was at his neck calling him the worst signing ever and so on. To insinuate that Jose mishandled him or couldn't manage him because he is a type of flair player is just over stretching this Jose criticism frenzy. The same goes for KDB and Salah (and Lukaku, Mata, Higuain, Schurlle, etc) . They wanted out because they felt they were not getting enough game time. Jose did not send them out or mismanage them as some will have us believe (at least not most of them). I am all for the Jose bashing when he messes up and he does but let's be balanced in our assessment of our manager. The same Jose managed Sneijder, Deco, Ozil, De Maria, Zlatan, Joe Cole, Ronaldo, Roben, Fabregas, Hazard etc. So how come he can now only manage Chris Smalling type of players?

roonster09

Scout
Jose is responsible for our embarrassing exit from the CL as far as I am concerned. No matter how anyone swings it, I am convinced he should take the rap for that disgraceful performance. He is also responsible for some of our poor performances in the big games. He is responsible for a whole lot of things but I think people need to chill. Overall, he has improved United, even if not at the pace we desire. We need to cut him some slack and at least respect his history. The fact is that he was the one who went after Modric. He had always wanted him since he was at Chelsea. He even wanted him after he left Madrid. Modric was simply having a poor start to his Madrid career and everyone - media, pundits, fans, etc - was at his neck calling him the worst signing ever and so on. To insinuate that Jose mishandled him or couldn't manage him because he is a type of flair player is just over stretching this Jose criticism frenzy. The same goes for KDB and Salah (and Lukaku, Mata, Higuain, Schurlle, etc) . They wanted out because they felt they were not getting enough game time. Jose did not send them out or mismanage them as some will have us believe (at least not most of them). I am all for the Jose bashing when he messes up and he does but let's be balanced in our assessment of our manager. The same Jose managed Sneijder, Deco, Ozil, De Maria, Zlatan, Joe Cole, Ronaldo, Roben, Fabregas, Hazard etc. So how come he can now only manage Chris Smalling type of players?
Lot of hyperbole. You should be very specific when you reply. I have given Jose lot of credit for improving our league results.

Also no one said he can only manage smalling type or defensive players. He had issues playing Modric just like he is having with Pogba.

Also when Chelsea wanted Modric AVB was their manager. When Jose left Modric was in Croatian league. If you are taking about second term then I havent read any news on that and it's a lost cause to even attempt that.

I won't even enter KdB, Salah argument. It's been done to death on caf. It'll backfire big time if we keep on selling good players just because coach can't setup team to get best out of them. We have some great examples who are tearing apart PL.

Smores

Lot of hyperbole. You should be very specific when you reply. I have given Jose lot of credit for improving our league results.

Also no one said he can only manage smalling type or defensive players. He had issues playing Modric just like he is having with Pogba.

Also when Chelsea wanted Modric AVB was their manager. When Jose left Modric was in Croatian league. If you are taking about second term then I havent read any news on that and it's a lost cause to even attempt that.

I won't even enter KdB, Salah argument. It's been done to death on caf. It'll backfire big time if we keep on selling good players just because coach can't setup team to get best out of them. We have some great examples who are tearing apart PL.
You can't really call a poster out for not being specific when your claim was Jose can't manage 'certain types' of players? Exactly what types are you on about?

As the poster you've responded to has explained Jose has managed a great range of players so he can without doubt manage all types of player. He won't put up with those not commited though so if by certain types you mean personality wise then sure.

Cliche Guevara

Some shockingly juvenile posts on here: Mourinho only likes shit players who run around lots. He hates talent!

feck off.

roonster09

Scout
You can't really call a poster out for not being specific when your claim was Jose can't manage 'certain types' of players? Exactly what types are you on about?

As the poster you've responded to has explained Jose has managed a great range of players so he can without doubt manage all types of player. He won't put up with those not commited though so if by certain types you mean personality wise then sure.
I said he should be specific as he was talking about giving credit to Jose, which I have given a lot and praised him for results.

I said "maybe" in my very first post. Anyways from watching Modric under Jose and also Pogba, looks like flair players who play in midfield and who are more attack oriented struggle when asked to play defensive game. Playing flair players who are attacking midfielders or wingers is different from flair players who are CMs and are more attack oriented. I have posted number of games where Modric was dropped in big games and how he was rated as the best midfielder in the world from the season Jose left Madrid.

Who are these non committed players? Just because Jose isn't using them properly or his tactics doesn't best out of players doesn't mean players are not committed. At least Madrid did great by trusting non committed players and booting the coach who didn't get the best out of them.

GM K

'Hyperboles'. Funny how your post seems to have a few of them.

How exactly did he have issues with Modric? Modric had no pre-season with Madrid that year (same experience with Sanchez) while Alonso, Khedira and Ozil were in super form. He was also obviously struggling to settle into his new environment and team. Are you also aware that Modric had a very similar experience at Spurs? His first season was labelled as poor by many and he was often criticized. To say Jose had issues with him is stretching it.

As for Pogba, I see no big deal. He has had a dip in form, something almost everyone can see, and he is struggling to adapt to his manager's tactical demands. If he has the mentality that I hope he has, he will come through all these a much better player. If he does not, then frankly, I will be happy to see him go to Madrid and be replaced with a player with a tougher mentality.

The KDB and Salah cases are facts. Two young talented players in a star studded team with in form players. They wanted game time and they demanded to leave. Jose always let's players go when they want out. If that is mismanagement, then okay, he mismanaged them, especially for KDB who seemed bitter about the experience. I won't argue with that.