Which of our attackers will undeservedly still be here next season?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think most fans are more or less happy with Garnacho, Højlund and Rashford, even though the latter has had rough season. I can't see us getting rid of them in the summer, nor would I want us to.

But 3 attackers are of course not enough for a whole squad. Ideally we need at least 5 or 6, with one of them being a promising young player (Amad in our case?). So unless we sign 2 new attackers in the summer then I think at least 1 the following 4 will have to stay. Possibly 2!

- Antony
- Martial
- Sancho
- Greenwood

Who do you think will still be here next season? And are you happy with this?

I think that unless Ten Hag is sacked then Sancho will be sold. Greenwood should be sold (please don't turn this into a Greenwood thread). That leaves Martial and Antony. The first is injury prone, inconsistent and has stayed here for too long already. The latter is a worse player in every single way apart from workrate and fitness. Ideally both should be sold, but I can't see that happening. So ultimately I think Antony will stay. He is very fortunate that our attacker situation on the bench is so dire.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Antony will definitely be here.

Sancho will be too if we get a new manager.

The other two will definitely not be here.

Idxomer

Most fans are happy with Rashford? I don't think so.

Martial and Greenwood are 100% leaving. Maybe one of Sancho and Antony will go on loan, so at least one will undeservedly stay.

Remember the geese

I think Antony will still be here. Rashford too. I would like both to be sold. Particularly Antony. Amad will probably be loaned out or sold, although I would very much like him to stay and be given a genuine opportunity.

I suspect that Sancho, Martial and Pellistri definitely won't be playing for us next season. Greenwood too, although I'd like him to stay.

Rossa

I'm not so sure Rashford will be staying. I think perhaps he might be motivated to try his luck elsewhere. Antony should be gone. He's had two seasons without being able to showcase his worth - we need to be more ruthless. Counting Bruno, although I want him to stay, I think there's a chance he might be leaving as well.

Sancho should be sold no matter who is in charge.

tomaldinho1

I will go bold and say all will be gone. Ineos know we need to free up funds and I suspect we will be looking at targets already who are young, rapid and will basically be back ups to Rashford/Garnacho.

Martial is running down his deal and will leave on a free.
Sancho will be sold for a cut price deal
Greenwood will be sold for peanuts
Antony unless he has a massive turnaround in form will go for a modest fee to Serie A or La Liga.

The forward line is in a decent place if we accept we need to build towards something and not sign a couple of £100m players to immediately make us great. Off the top of my head, someone like Daramy at Reims, plays both sides, is fast, good technically and 22 + you would think the fee would be quite reasonable. For CF someone like Emegha who is a rapid young wiry striker with something about him, very raw but I feel him and Hojlund would offer great competition and different skillsets. If we can get £60m for Antony/Sancho combined, I will be happy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Antony will be here for sure, Sancho I think as well, I don't think we will loan him again. I think new owners will not cut our losses here and will try to get some value out of them still.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Not this season of course. But overall? Yeah, I think so.

I don't see us selling him and letting the likes of Antony stay. Rashford will stay unless he wants a new challenge somewhere else.

Ibi Dreams

I don’t disagree but I wonder with new owners might they try find a way back to the club for him. If not, does the club look for a huge fee for him?
I don't see how we can put him up for sale and also ask for a huge fee. If we don't want him then any club that does can just offer a "take it or leave it" sum.

Anyway, I expect Martial and Greenwood to go, Antony to stay and Sancho could go either way

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think we'll sell Sancho, release Martial and loan Antony. Which leaves us looking remarkably light up top. Think we need to focus most of our summer budget into bolstering the attack and signing a Casemiro replacement and likely a Varane one too given his injuries, salary and rumours about us wanting rid anyway.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I hope we start next season with:

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Greenwood
5. Amad
6. NEW

I think we'll bring in a central striker with a slightly different profile to Hojlund.

I think we'll end up with:

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Antony
5. Sancho
6. NEW

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A lot seem to be willing to overlook shoddy performances if he contributes with goals and assists. Don't agree with it myself, I think outside one or two seasons where he was very good, his actual performances have been inconsistent at best. But with how many others we're seemingly going to be letting go, I can't see him leaving this summer.

Idxomer

Not this season of course. But overall? Yeah, I think so.

I don't see us selling him and letting the likes of Antony stay. Rashford will stay unless he wants a new challenge somewhere else.
Yeah but will it be deserved or undeserved? If he doesn't improve his output significantly for the rest of the season, it would mean two of his last three seasons have been outright terrible. That's not good enough with his status in the team.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
it would mean two of his last three seasons have been outright terrible.
To be fair, everyone was terrible in the Ole-Rangnick season. I think we ought to scratch that (not just for Rashford). He was good the season before that, so he's been good for the last 2 out of 3.5 seasons.

This is the first season he has no excuse to perform poorly. Garnacho and Højlund are just kids and they are doing much better. But it would still be harsh to kick him out already, especially considering his competition. Then again he does no longer have the status of "unsellable". If a big offer is on the table or he wants to leave, then we should definitely not try to stop him.

buckooo1978

Sancho is unsellable unless we get an offer from Saudi and he is up for it. His wages prohibit a transfer most likely unless we let him go for a very very small fee.

Antony is unsellable unless we wanted to take a HUGE hit

Have a feeling PSG might have a pop again for Rashford with M'Bappe going

Mike Smalling

Antony will still be here. He was too expensive, and we can't recover enough of his transfer fee, if we sold him.

Martial will be gone. Contract runs out, and not even our management is dumb enough to resign him.
Greenwood will be gone. The internal and external disruption is just not worth it.
Sancho will hopefully be gone. If he does well in Germany, there might be a decent fee there.

AndySmith1990

Antony and Sancho.

Same old story. No one will be interested in paying their wages so they are essentially worthless

Chumpsbechumps

If the INEOS deal fell through somehow, Martial would get a 5 year contract with an option to extend. Joel loves him, its the only reason he is still here. Every United manager has had a "Keep Martial" clause in their contract.

JediSith

OP must be one of Rashford’s entourage. Rashford is the attacker most likely to undeservingly still be here in 2-3 years.

Wilt

Antony ….unsellable
Rashford ….will not agree to move
Sancho ….will be looking to leave on a free

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think most fans are more or less happy with Garnacho, Højlund and Rashford, even though the latter has had rough season. I can't see us getting rid of them in the summer, nor would I want us to.

But 3 attackers are of course not enough for a whole squad. Ideally we need at least 5 or 6, with one of them being a promising young player (Amad in our case?). So unless we sign 2 new attackers in the summer then I think at least 1 the following 4 will have to stay. Possibly 2!

- Antony
- Martial
- Sancho
- Greenwood

I think that unless Ten Hag is sacked then Sancho will be sold. Greenwood should be sold (please don't turn this into a Greenwood thread). That leaves Martial and Antony. The first is injury prone, inconsistent and has stayed here for too long already. The latter is a worse player in every single way apart from workrate and fitness. Ideally both should be sold, but I can't see that happening. So ultimately I think Antony will stay. He is very fortunate that our attacker situation on the bench is so dire.
The only thing we need to be worried about is who will be in the team.

None of that list deserve to be in the team.
Whether they get moved on or not is an admin problem.
If the admin problem means that they are the only choice then we have to be patient and hope Ineos get it right over a few years of input.

JediSith

Antony and Sancho.

Same old story. No one will be interested in paying their wages so they are essentially worthless
I actually don’t mind Antony. As a winger he does a role. Starter ? No. But very good rotation option.

But also I think the type of player who a Saudi club would easily take off our hands.

Woziak

I actually don’t mind Antony. As a winger he does a role. Starter ? No. But very good rotation option.

But also I think the type of player who a Saudi club would easily take off our hands.
Antony is not fit for purpose, if your currency is goals and assists this kid is bankrupt and needs to be sold, even if it’s for £25-30m. His wages are ridiculous when you consider he earns more than Hojlund, Garnaucho and Mainoo combined, players talk.

As a club this year our biggest weakness is the ability to create and score goals. The club invested £85m in transfer fees and £50m in wages for a player that would be meh in the championship. In 33 games this season all competitions United have scored 52 Goals and Antony has 1 goal and 1 assist for all that money. Has to go should be the first out of the door, a club the size of United need 5 or 6 options with 1 or 2 young attacking options coming through.

Rashford has been awful this season, but you can’t get rid of Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood all in the same window, you simple can’t do that (Homegrown rule) by default he will stay one more season where hopefully he’ll be back to last seasons form and then be valued in summer of 2025 at £100m again?

Right now the planning for next season with or without ETH the striker will be ; Rashford, R Hojlund, A Garnaucho as definite. I believe Amad and Omari Forson who both have huge potential will be brought through and the club will be looking to buy a right winger whose left footed and another CF.

I genuinely think that Michael Olise is a very Real option for £55m and Joshua Zirkee at £35m or Benjamin Sesco at a similar value.

So for me providing Forson who is a left footed right winger with pace and an England under 19 international signs a new contract, I can see our striking options next season looking like - Rashford(HG), Garnaucho(HG), Hojlund, Olise(HG), J Zirkee, Amad, O Forson(HG),

The club spending £90m but recouping £100m for Antony, Greenwood and Sancho would be good business however of ETH gets sacked I can see Sancho staying as no one paying his wages and Amad might be sold for £25-30m or at least loaned out.

Pickle85

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Greenwood
5. Amad
6. NEW

I think we'll bring in a central striker with a slightly different profile to Hojlund.

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Antony
5. Sancho
6. NEW
I think this is about right though would probably say we'll keep diallo and ship Sancho.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Wake up. Nobody is buying Antony or for that matter Sancho. We are stuck with them.
Marial will go for free. Greenwood would be sold for very cheap.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Antony will still be here. Nobody would pay even a 3rd of what we paid for him and his wages are more than doubled what a player like him should be.

Sancho will leave, possibly on loan again.
Amad will probably leave, given Antony will stay to be the backup left footed RW. Greenwood will probably/hopefully leave. Martial is gone on a free.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

- Antony
- Martial
- Sancho
- Greenwood

There are good cases to be made for none of them to be here next year, although I seriously doubt we will sell more than two of them. Antony is an ETH nepotism buy, so I doubt he's going anywhere unless ETH himself goes. Also, I don't think Rashford is safe this summer - not just because of partygate, but because he's been generally poor for much of the year, which may be too much to bear given the wages he's on.

Last edited:

Bondi77

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Greenwood
5. Amad
6. NEW

1. Rashford
2. Garnacho
3. Hojlund
4. Antony
5. Sancho
6. NEW
I tend to agree with this.
I think Johnathan David will be the incoming striker.

daba

Would like to see us go in to the season with:

Rashford
Garnacho
Hojlund
Amad
Bardghji £15m
Guirassy £15m
Rafa Silva £0

Hopefully Sancho performs and we can sell him for a respectable fee. Would love Greenwood back from a purely footballing perspective but find it hard to look past the PR challenges he’d bring. Antony will go on loan is my guess, nobody will pay anything near what we will want this summer. Martial isn’t re-signing, end of.

What will be interesting is if PSG actually approach us for Rashford. If they stick £60-70m on the table would we sell? If so, that would really switch things up as that would mean a hell of a lot of work needing to be done to our forward line in one summer.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Antony. Think Martial and Sancho will be sold somehow or loaned out at least.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Antony. Think Martial and Sancho will be sold somehow or loaned out at least.
Yeah I can't see Sancho returning if ETH is manager next year. On the other hand, I could easily see him come back under a different manager.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah I can't see Sancho returning if ETH is manager next year. On the other hand, I could easily see him come back under a different manager.
Ye I think it all depends on the manager situation with Sancho.

LDUred

Antony has been a very average for the price tag, but I would keep him because he's more of a system player. If the team starts playing well, zipping short passes around, he will play well.

The very worst we've seen from Antony has generally been when the entire team have underperformed. When you're tactics are basically, 'Hoofball/Rashford', you won't see the best out of a player who thrives on short passes in and around the box.

He works hard off the ball, and if he can somehow get back to his first season level, he's a decent player to have in the squad, just not perhaps as first choice.

There is a bit of a pile-on at the minute, the same as with Maguire. Just a few changes here and there and we might see a better version of him.

Jeffthered

I'll be surprised if Rashford stays next season. I think he needs a change of club.. he thinks he is far better than what he actually is and this continues to be a problem. We don't need a 'will Rashford stay or leave' story during the summer.

I'd like to keep Rasmus, who needs help and is not the top quality No 9 we need, but has a great attitude, and Garnacho, who also needs coaching but is just a great talent and inspiring player.

Martial, Greenwood and Sancho are already gone as far as I'm concerned, and we should be looking to offload Antony, definitely because simply he isn't good enough. His presence destabilises the team because you cannot have any trust in him at all. Antony represents all that is wrong at our club. He has to go, make that statement that this kind of player is not who or what Man Utd are about.

daba

Does that not set a bad precedent with the squad and younger players that they can act out, throw their toys out the pram disrespect the manager and then just wait for the manager to be sacked and all is forgiven?

I’d be very surprised if INEOS want to start off their cultural reset with allowing Sancho back into the fold.

Herman Toothrot

Ten Hag seems to have finally reached the obvious solution of Hojlund centre, Rashford left, and Garnacho right with Fernandes behind (not flanked by Scott McTominay). He needs to play this at every opportunity now until the end of the season.

My worry is the return of Mount or an injury/suspension to Casemiro and the resumption of the madness of a two number ten midfield.

Will he be big enough to cut his loses on Antony? I'd be impressed if he did. Shit player and quite possibly a wrong 'un too. I see no way back for Sancho, and, thankfully, I think Greenwood will never play for us again.

We really need to hope those front four have a cracking end to the season, there won't suddenly be a let up in our FFP this summer and we need to replace Varane, Maguire, Casemiro and probably bring in a right back and another forward.

CM

Ideally we'd bring in two new forwards to supplement Rashford, Hojlund, Garnacho and Amad.

In reality I expect we'll loan out Amad, keep Antony for another season and probably have a hard time shifting Sancho for a fair price.

I'm not sure the new ownership is going to have the desired effect when it comes to player sales. They've inherited a few unfavourable situations so I think we'll have to take quite a substantial hit if we look to move on from the likes of Sancho and Antony.