Which of our players would get into our two main rivals starting eleven

Devil81

Pretty simple really, of our squad of players would get a starting place for our two main rivals the scum and blue shite?

De Gea and Pogba for me, other than that the rest would scrambling for spots on the bench.

How have we allowed things to get this bad?

Bobski

Milner, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wijnaldum. You would have been laughed off a Utd forum if you had suggested buying any of them for Utd 2 years back. But hey-ho in the right system and with the right manager they are extremely effective and an excellent midfield, more than the sum of their parts.

Utd don't have a system or a defined style of play and our players, as a group, are much less than the sum of their parts.

Devil81

Players I think get in the Liverpool team:-
DDG
Shaw
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku

Chelsea:-
DDG
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku

Firstly I didn't ask about Chelsea, secondly there is no way Shaw gets in ahead of Robertson or Mendy based on about 6 games this season. Lukaku 100% doesnt get in ahead of Firminho or Aguero. Matic, I toyed with him but the depth Liverpool currently has and the fact Fernadinho is more box to box means I decided against him.

Either way it's shocking considering the money invested.

davidmichael

I said in a post this morning that outside of De Gea and Pogba I don’t see any of our players getting into any of City, Liverpool or Spurs starting 11.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hate these kind of questions. It doesn't mean anything, in my opinion. Currently, Milner is probably one of the best midfielders in the league, but that's not to say he'd get into our midfield. He's performing well, in a team that plays exciting, attacking football.

At the start of last season, no one would have had Robertson, Arnold, Wijnaldum, Gomez and possibly Firmino to play for what could be, potential title challengers. As it is, as I said, Klopp has got them playing attacking football, and they could very well be potential champions this season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
People always list Pogba when half the time he doesn't play well enough to justify being in our team, never mind another, better one.

We have what 6 players who seem to consistently get in our own first team , and half of those don't do much to justify that being the case. So you're immediately down to basically De Gea, Matic and Lukaku.

We need to maybe start figuring out who's good enough to get into our own team before worrying about who is good enough for anyone else.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Only DDG, but even he isn’t a massive upgrade on either GKs.

If I was a Scouser or City fan, there’s not 1 other player I’d take from our team at the moment.

It’s funny to think that any fan would take Milner over Pogba but the former looks far superior at the moment.

parkthebuslads

It's a tough question because certain players would look better/worst under different managers. I think DDG for sure, Pogba would be tried by them all but would have to apply himself to remain in the 11. The rest would struggle.

el3mel

De Gea for all of them.

Pogba and Lukaku for Arsenal and Chelsea.

That's it.

Jib

Pogba for all of them
De Gea for Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal
Martial for Tottenham and Arsenal
Lukaku for Chelsea

Claus10

Supports
Liverpool
As a Liverpool fan:
Pogba should be tried for obvious reasons but he would have to work harder and change his style a bit. Perhaps DDG. I'm not saying Allison is better but he has been ok.

Shaw to battle it out with Robertson.
Lukaku as plan b for Firmino.

But if forced to pick them for a first 11 I would say none. Not because Liverpool have a better squad. Just that the current 11 are doing so well as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Firstly I didn't ask about Chelsea, secondly there is no way Shaw gets in ahead of Robertson or Mendy based on about 6 games this season. Lukaku 100% doesnt get in ahead of Firminho or Aguero. Matic, I toyed with him but the depth Liverpool currently has and the fact Fernadinho is more box to box means I decided against him.

Either way it's shocking considering the money invested.
So you didn't want to ask people's opinions, you just wanted to make another thinly veiled whinging thread. Great.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
No way does Shaw and Lukaku get in ahead of Robertson and Firmino. Pogba 'might' work but he would have to take time to adapt to our system.
I've always liked Matic but with the way our midfield 3 are playing, he wouldn't get in.
DDG is a tough one. Great great goalkeeper but Alisson's distribution has been really important for us and I don't think DDG is as good in that department. DDG is a better all round keeper (than anyone in the world) but I think Alisson suits us more

Fracture90

2 years ago if you asked this question, plenty would agree that a lot of our players would get into them 2 teams (it was almost unanimous that only City had better squad than us), but since then Guardiola and Klopp have massively improved their players (Liverpool looking deadly with MF consisting of fkin Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum!).

Since then our players have been stagnating and regressing.

Fracture90

Another rate the squad thread. There's already one going from today.

Like being in the newbies ffs
You know what, I agree with you there.

Let's spin this around and ask how many of our rivals would replace their managers with Mourinho?

Treble

No way does Shaw and Lukaku get in ahead of Robertson and Firmino. Pogba 'might' work but he would have to take time to adapt to our system.
I've always liked Matic but with the way our midfield 3 are playing, he wouldn't get in.
DDG is a tough one. Great great goalkeeper but Alisson's distribution has been really important for us and I don't think DDG is as good in that department. DDG is a better all round keeper (than anyone in the world) but I think Alisson suits us more
Basically, no United player would get into your first XI. Even though the latter finished 6 pts off United last season. Wow. You're so special.

Marcky411

Firstly we should define who are our two main rivals, because at the moment we are nowhere close to Liverpool, City and Chelsea. At the moment we are 7th in the table and only on goal difference to Bournemouth in 8th. One point ahead of 9th and 10th.
At the moment not one of our players except DDG will get into one of the Top 3 teams. How can you expect our players to get into any top team after they have had to play under 2 soul destroying managers for the past 4 years when it comes to free flowing, attacking football. When they have been drilled into the conception that defence is their first priority and attack, well do what you think is right. Our attack is based on someone's individual moment of brilliance and not on any training ground tactical work or practice, e.g taking corners.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Basically, no United player would get into your first XI. Even though the latter finished 6 pts off United last season. Wow. You're so special.
I am pretty special but that's a whole other debate.
6 points off you whilst going for a European Cup final. We dropped loads of points around the end of last season when we were playing Ings, Lovren and Klavan.
Tell me which player you think would get into our starting 11? I've explained my reasons for the DDG omission even though I still believe he's the best all round GK in the world.

Treble

6 points off you whilst going for a European Cup final. We dropped loads of points around the end of last season when we were playing Ings, Lovren and Klavan.
Tell me which player you think would get into our starting 11? I've explained my reasons for the DDG omission even though I still believe he's the best all round GK in the world.
United lost 2 of the last league games because they were meaningless. One of them was WBrom at home. And you were playing for 4th.

I'm sure Klopp would use at least 4-5 United players, apart from DDG who could have won you the CL final. Most of them are struggling under Jose but it doesn't mean they are not quality. Even Herrera and Lingard could look pretty good in Klopp's system. And even Mane/Firmino/Salah could look lost under Jose.

I'm curious, how many City players would make your first XI?

TheReligion

Abusive
None. You're the best team in the world bar none.

Even Real Madrid were lucky in the CL final and you wouldn't take Ramos, Bale, Casimero, Modric et al over what you've got.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Players I think get in the Liverpool team:-
DDG
Shaw
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku

Chelsea:-
DDG
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku
DDG - obvious yes.
Pogba - would love if Klopp can fit him in his system
Shaw & Lukaku - no way they start over Robertson and Firmino
Matic - conflicted about this. Great player but can't see him getting into our midfield currently. Not mobile enough.

Siorac

People always list Pogba when half the time he doesn't play well enough to justify being in our team, never mind another, better one.

We have what 6 players who seem to consistently get in our own first team , and half of those don't do much to justify that being the case. So you're immediately down to basically De Gea, Matic and Lukaku.

We need to maybe start figuring out who's good enough to get into our own team before worrying about who is good enough for anyone else.
Right now he's the prime example of a player who consistently gets in our first team without justifying that being the case.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
United lost 2 of the last league games because they were meaningless. One of them was WBrom at home. And you were playing for 4th.

I'm sure Klopp would use at least 4-5 United players, apart from DDG who could have won you the CL final. Most of them are struggling under Jose but it doesn't mean they are not quality. Even Herrera and Lingard could look pretty good in Klopp's system. And even Mane/Firmino/Salah could look lost under Jose.

I'm curious, how many City players would make your first XI?
I'm not denying that some of them would look good in our system but the question was asked about starting 11's and current teams. Last season I would have taken DDG as a definite, Matic and Pogba easily. We have strengthend though and we are well stocked in all those positions now with quality players.

Treble

I'm not denying that some of them could look good in our system but the question was asked about starting 11's and current teams. Last season I would have taken DDG as a definite, Matic and Pogba easily. We have strengthend though and we are well stocked in all those positions now with quality players.
And how many City players would make your first XI? KDB and...? I'm sure you are quite happy with Alisson, VVD and Robertson, sou you'd consider Walker for TAA and some CB for James. But you are happy with James too,so maybe it's just Walker from all defenders. Then you wouldn't take Fernandinho, Sterling and prefer Sane to Mane. Then you are happy with Firmino too, so maybe not even Aguero. And David Silva is brilliant but does not suit your style? Basically, only KDB would be a guaranteed starter for Liverpool, right? From a team that won 100 pts last season. This is why these comparisions make little sense.

Last edited:

Christie

I doubt Klopp, Sarri or Pep would want DDG anyway, he wouldn't make their teams. These hipster coaches want their hipster ball playing GKs, which De Gea is not and will fail badly.

TheReligion

Abusive
All teams play different systems so if you're taking that into account the question itself is pointless.

If you're going for purely who is a better/equal football player over his counterpart I would say the following;

DDG better than Alisson.
Smalling better than Gomez/Matip/Lovren.
Pogba better than any of their CM.
Matic/Fred easily at least equal with what they have in CM.
Lukaku the best natural goalscorer.
Lingard equal to someone like Ox/Milner.

The key areas they have stronger than us are wide with the likes of Mane, Salah, Robertson and TAA. The emergence of Shaw and hopefully Dalot will help narrow this gap however without the front players gelling in those areas up the pitch Liverpool will still have the advantage.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
And how many City players would make your first XI? KDB and...? I'm sure you are quite happy with Alisson, VVD and Robertson, sou you'd consider Walker for TAA and some CB for James. But you are happy with James too,so maybe it's just Walker from all defenders. Then you wouldn't take Fernandinho, Sterling and would prefer Sane to Mane. Then you are happy with Firmino too, so maybe not even Aguero. And David Silva is brilliant but does not suit your style? Basically, only KDB would be a guaranteed starter for Liverpool, right? From a team that won 100 pts last season. This is why these comparisions make little sense.
KDB, Mendy, Gundogan and Walker would get in.

The players we've brought in were bought for a specific system which is why it appears that we have so many successes with our transfers.

Man Utd and City have both got better players than we have in different positions but when the question is about which ones would get into the starting 11, then it's a difficult one as the players mentioned above would not necessarily fit our style.

You're right when you say that Firmino, Mane and Salah would not look as good in a Mourinho team but with how we play, there is no better front 3.
Aguero is a better striker than Firmino obviously but he wouldn't get in ahead of him because of what we ask Firmino to do.

This isn't about which team has better players as we've all got players that are better than others but this is about how players would fit into systems and whether it would improve the current team

Christie

All teams play different systems so if you're taking that into account the question itself is pointless.

If you're going for purely who is a better/equal football player over his counterpart I would say the following;

DDG better than Alisson.
Smalling better than Gomez/Matip/Lovren.
Pogba better than any of their CM.
Matic/Fred easily at least equal with what they have in CM.
Lukaku the best natural goalscorer.
Lingard equal to someone like Ox/Milner.

The key areas they have stronger than us are wide with the likes of Mane, Salah, Robertson and TAA. The emergence of Shaw and hopefully Dalot will help narrow this gap however without the front players gelling in those areas up the pitch Liverpool will still have the advantage.
A team is more than the sum of their parts.

You guys are the ones who complain about Mourinho not being able to develop a system to bring the best out of their players, about him being outdated and dinosaur tactics.

At the same time you go ahead and ignore the systems that the coaches you worship have developed to bring the best out of their team with their hipster players suiting their style.

No way will any of the coaches from the Big Three take DDG and Smalling in their team. These guys are donkeys to them.

It's funny how our fans find Lukaku to be a donkey and say Everton is his level, but when the time comes to comparing players to other top teams suddenly he's the best natural goalscorer.

I say Pogba is the only guy who will make it in all first teams.

Lukaku will make it to the Chelsea first team, and as a squad player for Liverpool.

Matic and Fred will become squad players/ backup players, and that is not guaranteed.

Sanchez will also be a squad player/backup for City, and possibly starter for Liverpool and Chelsea, maybe Spurs as well.

FromTheBench

Quality wise we aren't that far off any of the teams.

Liverpool team isn't that great in individual quality, imo. It's the system that is making them greater than the parts. Same was case with Klopp at Dortmund.

Freaking Milner is outperforming Pogba as of now. And neither Pogba or Lukaku will suit that style. How to compare then?

Same is the case with Shitty. Chelsea still can compare maybe.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Pogba.

I'm not even sure DDG would get into the City team. Ederson is much better at distribution than he is.