Which players of ours can be considered class?

Strelok

I'm not a wump, a pessimist but they have a much better squad than ours. They have a squad that are on their prime and very consistent. Us a very young and inconsistent one. And consistency is what distinct good and class players.

Imo the only class player we currently have is Bruno. While Liverpool have basically a full XI of class players. Bar maybe 2-3 that are good only I think. The difference is huge mate. And I don't even want to look to the bench.
Imo it's the consistency of having at least good performance in 7-8/10 matches. And the ability to shine when it requires, big matches, big moments is the difference between good players and class players.

In your opinion what is required for a player to be considered class? And which ones in our squad are class?

I'm quite curious to see how many of our players would be considered class.

Foxbatt

I would say Bruno and Martial. Pogba obviously is but he is not showing it.

el3mel

You're absolutely right. Bruno is the only player we have who can be considered world class.

Pogba and Martial are tier 1 players but a step below world class players.

Rashford is tier 2 probably.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bruno, Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Maguire could all start at other top clubs who win trophies. All are top class whatever you want to call it. None world class, Martial the closest IMO while Pogba hasn't shown consistently and Bruno a tier below KdB so I wouldn't have him there yet either. Rashfords ceiling is probably a tier below world class which is fine. Maguire is a very good CB but needs the right system/partner/surroundings. Hugely improved us defensively though.

Before anyone shits on Rashford - the guy was brilliant til his back injury, and then had a bad injury. He needs time to get his confidence and sharpness back. He'll be fine. We definitely need people to rotate with our attack, as nobody can handle the amount he was playing, but that doesn't make him not a quality player.

Strelok

Bruno, Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Maguire could all start at other top clubs who win trophies. All are top class whatever you want to call it. None world class, Martial the closest IMO while Pogba hasn't shown consistently and Bruno a tier below KdB so I wouldn't have him there yet either. Rashfords ceiling is probably a tier below world class which is fine. Maguire is a very good CB but needs the right system/partner/surroundings. Hugely improved us defensively though.

Before anyone shits on Rashford - the guy was brilliant til his back injury, and then had a bad injury. He needs time to get his confidence and sharpness back. He'll be fine. We definitely need people to rotate with our attack, as nobody can handle the amount he was playing, but that doesn't make him not a quality player.
So your definition of a class player is a player that starts for a top club ?

Imo it's not very accurate as many players in the top clubs are actually quite mediocre tbh.

SAFMUTD

Pogba, Bruno and thats it. I dont think the other ones would have a chance starting in a team challenging for top trophies.

We have some players that can potentially be class such as Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. But as of today theyre not.

Skills

Snitch
Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford (pre-injury).

Luke Shaw, Fred, Matic and Maguire aren't as good at the ones above but are very good footballers but with some flaws (injuries in Shaw's case)

AWB and Greenwood are the players the club should be making sure join that top category with the correct guidance and development. That's on the club and the coaching staff to deliver considering the investment in AWB and Greenwoods raw talent.

De Gea was in the top category but his performances haven't matched it. But he's good enough for a renaissance.

davidmichael

Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford and Martial in my opinion would all be considered as genuine class players and De Gea potentially could be again if he gets his confidence back or Henderson really pushes him.

OleBoiii

Bruno, Martial and Pogba should be considered class.

Maguire is very close, imo. AWB, Shaw, Rashford and Greenwood all have the potential/necessary "raw material". DDG can return to old glory at any time, in which case he's obviously class.

Baneofthegame

Bruno, Martial and Pogba should be considered class.

Maguire is very close, imo. AWB, Shaw, Rashford and Greenwood all have the potential/necessary "raw material". DDG can return to old glory at any time, in which case he's obviously class.
Agree with this.

dal

Watching our players from February onwards I'd say the genuine players who seem to consistently have that touch of class and make you feel comfortable when you watch them are Bruno and Greenwood. I may be harsh on Martial/Pogba however I'm probably categorising my opinion of class differently. My perception of class is they receive the ball, they know what to do and you dont think they'll lose it easily and you feel like there's magic in their boots.

Panther

Only Bruno, as he's shown since he's been here. Martial has been on a great run of form since Bruno joined and is very talented but needs more consistency. Rashford is a talented player but even at his best, I wouldn't consider him class, a very good player but not class. Pogba might be considered an obvious one by most fans and is a top top player at his best but also isn't consistent enough. Matic also is a great player on form and is probably our most important player aside from Bruno but is inconsistent.

If Bruno, Martial, Pogba and Matic are able to continue their post-lockdown form (Sheffield game to the Villa game) for the majority of next season then they would definitely all be considered class. I might be harsh on Rashford but I don't think he has the ability of the other 4, as don't anyone else on our team.

Web of Bissaka

Wouldn't say any of our players even Bruno as world class. De Gea and Pogba can be, but they're not because of their inconsistent performances over many months. Martial and Bruno are close but perhaps not yet, while Rash and Greenwood only have the potentials.

"Class" here though I believe OP is talking about different thing.

Bruno is class.
Greenwood is class.
Mata is class.

Wouldn't say the others are that kind of class. Even Martial, it's recency bias to think that he is considering his inconsistent not classy performances in past games may resurface. No doubt Martial is very close to be considered "class" and the only one closest. The others are far away to be considered as "class".

I think its definition is for me, need to have all of these:
  • high football intelligence.
  • right decisions making usually.
  • on and off the ball, they give you the impression very often that they know what they're doing. It seems somewhat natural. Usually good composure. Makes you felt comfortable.
  • usually high consistency level (depends on their current standards, form and current abilities eg. Mata is still consistent and classy but his standards have dropped since the declines)
  • they step-up when the team need them the most and/or when the situation calls for them to do so. Usually.

Amerifan

Class for me isn't about never making mistakes. Its either regular top tier performances or generally good performances with the occasional stunner. DDG, Maguire, Pogba, Fernandes fit the bill.

Shaw, Greenwood, Rashford and Martial will join them if they can stay focused and healthy.