Other Which shows would pass muster...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah no doubt most of them were probably just a few people on social media looking for attention. But they made enough noise that it still lead to apologies being issued in most of those cases. Media companies won't be considering context in the current climate, and i don't particularly blame them either as its just not worth the bad PR.
This might sound cynical, but I think there's a lot of fear right now about social media, cancel culture etc. It makes far more sense for celebs to issue a grovelling apology just to be on the safe side. That's probably very cynical, it can't be nice being told you've offended lots of people, but I'd bet there's a few who did so out of fear rather than because they felt what they did was wrong.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This might sound cynical, but I think there's a lot of fear right now about social media, cancel culture etc. It makes far more sense for celebs to issue a grovelling apology just to be on the safe side. That's probably very cynical, it can't be nice being told you've offended lots of people, but I'd bet there's a few who did so out of fear rather than because they felt what they did was wrong.
I was struck, yesterday, by this apology:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/14/spike-lee-apologizes-after-defending-woody-allen

I've no particular opinion on the Allen controversy but I was struck by the (seeming) pointlessness of Lee's apology.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Damn you know it's getting through when Spike Lee is apologising for an outburst. I don't really understand what he meant in the first place so I can't understand what he's really apologising for. Maybe the "short of killing" sounded like he was justifying everything else, who knows.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think he undermined his own point by praising Allen's talent & by stating that WA is a friend of his; these matters are, at best, irrelevant.

stevoc

Yeah definitely, genuine or not they have to PR wise and i can't say i blame them.

As i said in the other thread i liked Bo Selecta when it first aired and i like Leigh Francis (not so much Keith Lemon). But his teary eyed apology last week for wearing masks to impersonate Black people seemed a bit contrived when you consider he played Mel B with the mask on only a few months ago for an Xmas special. Now to be fair to him the real Mel B was in it with him so she had no problem with it, but still.

Kag

I re-watched the Inbetweeners recently and I can’t help but think it’s going to age horribly and fall foul of the ban hammer.

I mean, the whole premise of the programme is designed to reflect upon the failures of being seventeen and parody just how much of a wanker you were around that age, but I can envisage there being a resistance to showing a programme that openly mocks Neil’s dad as gay and presents its main characters as treating women appallingly. I hope not, as I think they’d miss the point of the juvenile hopelessness the Inbetweeners was trying to convey.

Moby

Dick
I re-watched the Inbetweeners recently and I can’t help but think it’s going to age horribly and fall foul of the ban hammer.

I mean, the whole premise of the programme is designed to reflect upon the failures of being seventeen and parody just how much of a wanker you were around that age, but I can envisage there being a resistance to showing a programme that openly mocks Neil’s dad as gay and presents its main characters as treating women appallingly. I hope not, as I think they’d miss the point of the juvenile hopelessness the Inbetweeners was trying to convey.
Didn't Entourage have one of the main characters constantly bullying his gay assistant for his sexual orientation and race?

lsd

The Oracle
But the joke is on the Major - he’s a bigoted old fool representing a type of officer class Englishman of that generation. In the same way the joke is on Basil when he rants about Germans. It’s not like some of Del Boy’s more dated remarks where we are meant to be laughing with him.

Thats just an excuse, you are just using that character to get a laugh at a racist joke.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I was watching Reggie Perrin last week and there's one episode with a very cringey blackface scene that wouldn't make it today. Then there's the whole having it off with your secretary dynamic that runs through the show.

Sparky Rhiwabon

In my mind the only times I can think of racial slurs in Only Fools is in the first series when Del Boy refers to "Paki Shops". I've never seen that line on any reruns on TV though and it's only fact I have them on DVD that I know about the line.

I think in cases where a line or a scene could be edited out, that should be the action to take. The reality is that until very recently there has always been an undercurrent of prejudice and racism in all forms of entertainment.
People still routinely refer to corner shops in that way today, but it still wouldn’t get through the censors now. Should TV reflect the way in which people talk in the real world or be an airbrushed version of the world?

mitChley

People still routinely refer to corner shops in that way today, but it still wouldn’t get through the censors now. Should TV reflect the way in which people talk in the real world or be an airbrushed version of the world?
Do they? I've never heard anyone I wouldn't consider racist using that term.
You use that language on TV then more people might adopt it as acceptable, which it shouldn't be.

interesting point. If it was a documentary or a drama - than yes, but not a sitcom in my opinion.

I also don’t think we should airbrush the past. I don’t see a problem in editing the OFAH episode, but we shouldn’t ban programmes or change the narratives of shows.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do they? I've never heard anyone I wouldn't consider racist using that term.
You use that language on TV then more people might adopt it as acceptable, which it shouldn't be.
I don’t use it myself but I hear people round where I live use it - not in a deliberately racist way, just what they've always called it - tends to be older people, white working class.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Say what now?!

b82REZ

I have no idea where you live but that term died out with the Spice Girls where I live.

Haven't heard anyone say it for 20 odd years. When I was a kid that was what most adults called the corner shops.

I wouldn't say using that term provides any positives in an entertainment sense. In Only Fools and Horses it was used as a quick gag, not to represent colloquial language of East London.