Which teams fans don’t support their players?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Who’s got the worst fans in terms of showing support for their own players?

United have to be up there. Every year there is a player picked as the reason for all failures and that narrative continues till the player leaves or dies. We turn on players as quick as they leave. We seem to reserve our hatred for home grown players more than players bought.

is it just that I am on this forum? Are other teams fans the same on their forums?

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've been looking at some Juve forums recently for obvious reasons and I don't think I have ever seen such entitled fans in my life - it is absolutely shocking and the way they talk about their players is wild.

Caesar2290

As bad as online Man Utd supporters can be, none of them will ever come close to the Santiago Bernabeu Real Madrid fans.

I still remember when they were waiving their white handerchiefs at Ronaldo for having a small blip in form.

youngrell

I imagine it's the same across the board. Except at Liverpool, where all their players are the best in the world in their positions at any given time.

It does seem that, online at least, United fans always have to have a scapegoat or two in the team. The herd mentality when it comes to this always seems weird to me, too. This can also be said for potential signings, there's always a player or two who will fix our problems easily, and then we move onto the next.

RoyH1

United have to be up there. Every year there is a player picked as the reason for all failures and that narrative continues till the player leaves or dies. We turn on players as quick or they leave. We seem to reserve our hatred for home grown players more than players bought.

is it just that I am on this forum? Are other teams fans the same on their forums?
I think out of the big clubs, we are actually one of the ones that are most supportive of their own players. We constantly defend them and give them support. It's really only after years of disappointment that we might be critical of them.
Look at what Barcelona or Madrid do. They are absolutely vicious to their own after a small dip in form or perceived "treason"

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Oh god for all their piss and wind, Villa fans are up their as one of the worst. When they were going down last time around, half empty stadiums, booing the players for most of the game. Yet they give it the big'un about supporting your local team, player X is one of their own and all that localised nonsense.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Football fans are football fans, there isn’t much difference between us all apart from the colour of the shirt we support.

James Peril

Oh god for all their piss and wind, Villa fans are up their as one of the worst. When they were going down last time around, half empty stadiums, booing the players for most of the game. Yet they give it the big'un about supporting your local team, player X is one of their own and all that localised nonsense.
Utter drivel. They are the same as every other lot, except for being an historic club actually. Chelsea-fans are my pick, all supporting a tiny club with a tiny stadium, lucky to be acquired by oil. Now they act like new money and then some.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Which club has the most supportive fans?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I think it's universal: The more a fanbase is used to success, the quicker they are to renounce players that, in their eye, underperform. That's why United players catch so much more vitriol these days, and why Real Madrid fans in general are quick to boo when results aren't constantly stellar. Same goes for Juve right now.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Real for sure. Look at some of the legends they've had the audacity to boo:

Ronaldo, fat ronaldo, Raul, Cassilas, Raul.

United fans on this forum aren't too great either, just look at the Maguire thread.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Football fans are football fans, there isn’t much difference between us all apart from the colour of the shirt we support.
I agree with this. Spend enough time immersed with any fanbase online and you'll realise we're all the same. Most Chelsea players have their little personalised hate groups, the biggest of them all is Jorginho. I went down a Liverpool fans rabbit hole a few months ago and was surprised to learn how much abuse Origi was getting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well Bayern's fans used to boo Robben, so there's that.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
United fans have generally been excellent and the siege mentality helped players like keane Beckham Evra Ronaldo & co come back from world cups where they were blamed unfairly

And of course there’s Cantona too

I think at the moment we feel let down by a lot of guys who don’t feel the pain of losing as much as the average fan

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't see it as a lack of support, rather I don't marry any player, but I understand that Madrid is at the top seeing it from outside.
In any case, United fans aren't saints either. In the years I've been here from Schweinsteiger, to David de Gea , Rashford, and legends like Rooney who was treated like a nobody in his last days. The latest Cristiano, scapegoat after half a season

Dan_F

The question is a bit ambiguous. In terms of online support and forums I wouldn’t really know, but inside the stadiums, United is probably one of the most forgiving fan bases out there for the top clubs.

So many former players talk about how they were always clapped off after defeats. Even this season you saw the majority of us stay and sing during the 0-5. The majority of stadiums would have been far more silent and empty.

I do think the online mentality is starting to creep into the stadium a bit, I know the results have been bad, but some of stuff I heard being shouted at Rashford over that period of games before he scored was grim.

devips

I am curious. Does this bashing one's own players come with the success of the club on the field?

What was the record for United fans during our period of dominance?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Madrid fans. And as someone said there is a big difference between matchgoing fans and forums. On the forums there seems to be a greater debate to be had about every player and loads of time to prove our points. Players like Fred, maguire etc would be booed out of the stadium at Madrid. At United players gets loads of chances and new contracs before they are sold on.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I think across the board online fans of big clubs are generally entitled, reactionary, joyless and cruel when it comes to their players. All they ever want is shiny new signings who they will slowly turn on as the next transfer window approaches. They become embroiled in stupid camps like sneering at local players, throwing all their weight behind one player and spewing venom at their competition to big that player up and resent anything less than prime Messi numbers in every game.

Lewnited

I think about 80% of our squad would have been chased out of the stadium by now if we were as bad as Madrid :lol: I don't think we're that bad aside from a few cases.

Fellaini getting booed wasn't nice, nor was Pogba getting absolute dogs abuse in his best season for us. Beyond that I can't think of many other particularly bad incidents in recent years.

Online - I think all fanbases are as bad as eachother.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Maybe United fans online are bad for supporting individual players, but I don't think that is apparent in the matchgoing fans, who seem to be the polar opposite of the handkerchief-waving Madrid fans.

reuben290

I don't know what they're like nowadays, but Villa fans, back when they were going through that really successful period in the late 00s (with the likes of Milner, Young and Agbonlahor), used to really piss me off... booing the likes of Young or Agbonlahor when they were going through a bad run of form (like that's going to help!) Not just that, but any player who dared to leave them used to get booed with such contempt when they played against them... I know that's kind of the same for most fans but it felt more hateful with Villa fans, even if the player hadn't left on bad terms at all... Ungrateful, spoilt fans! Never liked them since...

mctrials23

Every team out there.... when you are successful then things calm down because you don't sweat the small stuff so much but I know plenty of Liverpool fans who still whinge about players who were amazing a few years ago but aren't performing well anymore. Players who they don't think are working hard enough or putting in the quality performances they expect.

Its the same in every team. If you want to level a criticism at United fans its that we have a fan base that is quite arrogant and fundamentally has a poor understanding of modern football. Far too many fans who haven't changed their views and understanding as football has changed. This isn't the 90s or early noughties anymore.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Madrid fans are the worst. Barca too, especially the way they targeted Umtiti..

In England, I think match going fans are largely suportive of their players.

The last time I remember LFC fans ever targeting a player was Lucas. But it was a small minority, and was instantly fought back against.
In fact Lucas went on to have a decent career, until that knee injury at Stamford Bridge, and became one of the fan favourites.

Of course I am not counting the 13 years olds online on social media.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The question is a bit ambiguous. In terms of online support and forums I wouldn’t really know, but inside the stadiums, United is probably one of the most forgiving fan bases out there for the top clubs.

So many former players talk about how they were always clapped off after defeats. Even this season you saw the majority of us stay and sing during the 0-5. The majority of stadiums would have been far more silent and empty.

I do think the online mentality is starting to creep into the stadium a bit, I know the results have been bad, but some of stuff I heard being shouted at Rashford over that period of games before he scored was grim.
That’s a really good point. Yes there used to be world of difference between online and match going experiences. But I think a lot less now. Narratives started online are carried over

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In the past and I guess more when they were a Championship club and before their takeover in 2016, Wolves fans were known for quickly turning on, and even angrily confronting, their own players.

There were periods when some Wolves players openly admitted that they preferred playing away from home than at Molineux, as like with all clubs the fans travelling to away games were far more likely to get behind their team.

Dunk the Lunk

United have to be up there. Every year there is a player picked as the reason for all failures and that narrative continues till the player leaves or dies. We turn on players as quick as they leave. We seem to reserve our hatred for home grown players more than players bought.

How fair have you been on Lindelöf? Not fair at all i would say.
One shouldnt throw stones in a glass house.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Real Madrid fans seem to be quick to turn.
They are a bit strange because they support their players a lot but sometimes a player rub them the wrong way. The likes of Juventus, Barcelona and in the last years United are just an obnoxious bunch, it's pretty much everyone's turn at some point depending on what papers tell them to think.

Chairman Steve

Real Madrid and Barcelona immediately spring to mind. Some of the stuff their fans in the real world do is deranged compared to a bunch of edgy, keyboard warriors on social media hoping someone dies in a fire.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I am curious. Does this bashing one's own players come with the success of the club on the field?
I think it's more a cultural issue. I think in Spain it's just more common to be negative towards players, managers, etc. Unsuccessful clubs do it too.