Which United player has had the greatest international career?

Parma Dewol

Friend of mine made an interesting observation in that United don't tend to have many players that do great things in their international careers.

Might not be a surprise considering that we haven't historically had many players from the top trophy-winning sides. Our Brazilians haven't lived up to expectations, I can only think of three Italians to have worn the United shirt, and am I right in saying that we've only ever seen one German play for us?

All that aside, it raises an interesting question: who is the greatest international Red of all time?

How you define greatness is open to interpretation. Some might use international goals as a metric, others might look at the number of performances, and of course trophies are going to count for a lot. One criteria I think is important is that the international success needs to have come while actually at United.

Who would you pick?

Raw

Only one in our current squad that comes close is Pogba. Mata obviously won a lot but he wasn't at United when he did.

As for all time, probably Charlton? Rooney's a decent shout if you wanna just go off goals, as he became England's all time scorer while he was with us. But did feck all in the big tournaments so I probably wouldn't go for him.

bsCallout

Charlton. Obviously.
Wazza. Most goals.
Pogba. WC winner, important in that win too.

Edit: Only including players who done well for their country whilst they played for us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He didn't win anything but Beckham was inspirational for England

KeanoMagicHat

Bobby Charlton stands out as having had a great international career.

Pogba's been excellent too. Schmeichel was one of the main reasons Denmark won the 92 Euros.

Beckham was very good for England, Rooney has the scoring record, Ferdinand was very good for England on different occasions. Cristiano Ronaldo obviously been good for Portugal. If you're counting players that played for us but didn't leave a major impression, Schweinsteiger and Laurent Blanc. Di Maria has been good for Argentina. The Dutch lads Van der Sar, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Stam all had their moments for Netherlands. Keane was great for Ireland before Saipan.

Gandalf

Ronaldo post United has won a fair bit including the last edition of the Euros and 104 international goals is properly mental, those are the kind of numbers normally reserved for the US womens team.

Maticmaker

Ronaldo post United has won a fair bit including the last edition of the Euros and 104 international goals is properly mental, those are the kind of numbers normally reserved for the US womens team.
Yes, got to agree, Cristiano Ronaldo's goal tally of international goals has to be up there, although you have to consider Sir Bobby Charlton and Paul Pogba as the World Cup winners.

Bole Top

Schmeichel, Pogba and Charlton.

maybe J. Hernandez if you value Gold Cup and CONCACAF Cup. Bailly also played all matches for his NT when they won African cup of nations. I mean, what else those two are supposed to win?

Bole Top

We were Schweinsteiger's 'warm down' session, but he was worth watching all the same; so as a WC winner has to go alongside Charlton and Pogba.
no. read the OP - "success needs to have come while actually at United."

Maticmaker

no. read the OP - "success needs to have come while actually at United."
OK, then forget Schweinsteiger and Cristiano for that matter, he didn't score all his international goals whilst he was at OT.
So its Charlton and Pogba for WC winners whilst at United!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sir Bobby Charlton, without a shadow of doubt. It took a lot for Rooney to beat his goalscoring record (considering that Charlton wasn't even a forward for most of his international career), and none of United players had been, fair and square, the best player of the World Cup (as well as the best & the most important player of the winning side).

Pogba have had a great international career as well. Not quite at Charlton's level though, mind you. Schmeichel as well.

Out of those who didn't win anything, I'd really like to nominate Bryan Robson, who was simply incredible for England (aside from that ridiculous Italia '90 injury).

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I was going to throw in Park Ji-Sung for a different name but looks like even his relative success with South Korea was mainly before joining us.

We're cursed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ronaldo and Pogba the 2 standouts (modern era). Nani had a great career for Portugal too, always performed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Current - Pogba
Previous - Charlton, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Ronaldo and Pogba the 2 standouts (modern era). Nani had a great career for Portugal too, always performed.
If you mention Nani then surely Rooney should be in the conversation? England's most capped outfield player and top scorer ever?

Maticmaker

Nobby Stiles should also be included then....
Don't remember Nobby scoring many goals for England, but he was a WC winner and remembered by the nation for his toothless jig with the Trophy, so on that score should be counted as well.