Which United signing excited you the most before they played?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Andy Cole by far, there was such a buzz around that signing.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Veron, by far the one who excited me most. Was sure he'd be a superstar for us. Rooney and Di Maria was huge as well. oooh and Ronaldinho!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If it was before they stepped onto the field for us then Rooney:

If it was as soon as they got their first touch on the pitch then Ronaldo.

I was even excited when we signed Saha after watching him for Fulham.

Tallis

I think Diallo to some extent. For the rest, we had been watching them play for other teams so had rough idea what to expect. Diallo is such an unknown.

Luke1995

Sanchez. He was quick, direct, and scored plenty of goals before. I always found his explanation for what happened weird. He basically said he was close to joining City then United made a better offer and he thought it was ''a good opportunity'' for him but after the first training session he allegedly wanted to leave and seems like he never put a big effort. The strangest part was that when Mourinho was fired and Ole arrived, Sanchez just told Ole he wanted to go.

RashyForPM

Di Maria, Zlatan, Basti and Pogba. Di Maria should still be our RW, but he bottled it.

GueRed

It's always exciting when we buy a striker because he's the one who will put us ahead in games...win us games

Cole. Finally we got hold of a live wire no.9. A couple of weeks before he joined he looked unattainable! impossible.

thought we were getting Collymore or Ferdinand.

Pogba. The hype was too much. But I fell for it..That Stormzy video...man, it was a social media dream.

I thought he would be our Steven Gerrard, our driving force, that leader in midfield. How wrong was I!

Rooney. The fecking beast of a kid. Legend

Cantona. WTF! Not only had we finally bought a Centre Forward we got Leeds' supposedly best player? No fecking way man! Couldnt wait/believe it

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Wayne Rooney for me as well, by a significant margin too. The hype around him in the early to mid 2000s as the “next big thing” was quite pronounced, and he seemed to effortlessly go from strength to strength — while shattering all sorts of records: best player of the U-17 EUROs, youngest goal scorer in the Premier League, youngest goal scorer for England, youngest goal scorer in EURO history and a real wrecking ball in Portugal up until his injury in the quarter-finals, a certainty to finish in the Ballon D'Or Top 10 at age 18/19, et cetera.

While I had obviously enjoyed watching all the great United players in the years preceding that signing, Rooney was apparently different at the time because of his frightening Fenômeno-lite potential — a bit inconsistent in the league, but seemed to have a genuine chance to win a Ballon D'Or and become the best player in the world with United (something that hadn't happened in close to 50 years). Also, the timing was nigh perfect, and the prospect of him linking up with an emergent Ronaldo (who had a really good EURO in his own right after a promising 2003 campaign) was totally mouth-watering! :drool:

In the years to follow, only the signing of seemingly generation-defining teenage prodigies like Messi (after the 2006 U-20 World Cup), Neymar (after the 2011 Copa Libertadores), Mbappé (after that season with Monaco) could have approximated or surpassed those excitement levels — that didn't happen obviously, so Rooney stands alone at the apex.

fergies coat

Rooney easily. He had an unbelievable euro 2004. We probably would of won it if he didn't get injured, and then he scores a hat trick on his debut for us. Probably the best teenage footballer I've seen.

It ended up not happening obviously, but Ronaldinho was the one for me. I remember after we were seriously linked, watching him light up the Confederations Cup on TV with my Mum and Dad. Brazil were terrible, I think...but Ronaldinho was Ronaldinho.

We went on a holiday to Ireland after that, and I literally signed up for a library card (or begged my Mum to) in this tiny little Irish town so that I could use their internet to check for the latest Ronaldinho news (on PlanetFootball as I recall). Every day of that holiday, I was in the library at some point.

Was absolutely gutted beyond belief when the Barca Presidential stuff started happening, and half their candidates were promising Dinho.

The other one was Ronaldo. Again, I can vividly remember watching the Sporting friendly with my Mum and Dad. I remember my Mum and I going crazy at some of his dribbles - and my Mum saying we should sign him (scouting job anyone?). That one panned out a lot better than Ronaldinho.

Andy_Cole

RVP
Mata
Sanchez
Tevez

Oh and Carrick actually. We signed him and everyone in the club were saying he was the final piece of the puzzle, transition over.

Seemed they were right.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Lots to choose from, but for me it would be re-signing Mark Hughes. What an incredible footballer he was, a brilliant target man and hard as nails. Had it all really.

just been watching some classic matches from1990-91 and reminiscing. What a collection of players that was right through the spine Schmeichel - Pallister - Robson - Hughes
As you say, loads to choose from but one that hasn't been mentioned that I was really excited about at the time was Cryuff.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I really thought Berbatov was going to take us to a new level.

Also, bizarrely, Chicarito after we signed him out of the complete blue, then he was ace at the World Cup.

More recently, I really thought Di Maria was the answer. Bugger.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As you say, loads to choose from but one that hasn't been mentioned that I was really excited about at the time was Cryuff.
Really?
I was slightly excited about that one, a fancy Dutch winger, son of one of the greats. Then he did the Cryuff turn in the charity shield match.. oohhh. Then barring a few goals he was a bit underwhelming really

iHicksy

The January 2006 signings of Vidic and Evra. United like they are now was in transition and the team needed a solid defensive backline in order to reach its potential.

Both of course didn't get off to the best of starts but once they settled in they became club greats and hugely important members in a very successful period.
You must have had some very detailed knowledge of players from other countries and some kind of fantastic sky tv deal to get excited about two complete unknowns before they played for us ;)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really?
I was slightly excited about that one, a fancy Dutch winger, son of one of the greats. Then he did the Cryuff turn in the charity shield match.. oohhh. Then barring a few goals he was a bit underwhelming really
Yeh the excitement definitely plummeted once I'd actually seen him play :lol:

Tim Howard is another I was excited about too. But largely down to the fact I was desperate for a decent keeper at the time!

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
The first one I remember being hyped about was Wayne Rooney.
Every day it was in the newspaper and then he was going to sign for other clubs and then xyz and the morning he signed, I woke up for work, saw that morning's paper and was so hyped for the entire day!

iHicksy

Rooney was probably "the one". Watching him as a 16-18 year old I was convinced he was going to be the best attacker in the world and was so exciting to watch. And for a lot of his early career for us that was true. After that, Nani and Anderson - they were very very highly rated and I think Ando had just come off the back of the young player of the year award. Again, both were fantastic for us early on. Then I'd have to say Berbatov, he was I felt the natural heir to Cantona and is still the most technically gifted player that I've seen play for us. Sadly, it just didn't work out. I've got to mention RvP and Tevez too.

OleBoiii

Kagawa and Pogba. I got a pretty bad track-record in other words :lol:

Kagawa because we hadn't signed a creative midfielder for what felt like ages. He was fecking awesome in Germany, so I thought we had gotten ourselves a real gem. I remember being so disappointed when we didn't get Özil in 2010, so this felt like a pretty good "redemption" from our board/scouts/whatever.

Pogba because I thought it was impossible to get him. That type of player always end up in Real, Barca, PSG or City. It gave me some hope, basically. When Zlatan joined as well it was hard to not get excited.

Giggs' right foot

I was super excited about Tevez - same with Pogba. Oh, and Mata. Really thought he would turn it around for us and Moyes.

Contrary to the theme of the thread I was super confused and disappointed - as an 11-year-old - when we signed van der Sar. Why sign a 34/35-year-old man from Fulham of all places? I couldn't get my young head around it :lol:

.Phil1968

Not a signing I know but I remember hearing and reading about this young lad Giggs for ages before his debut. I went to this game which was home to Everton and which Fergie's son Darren was also making one of his first appearances.
The game wasn't a classic, we lost 2-0 and when I got home my dad asked me about Giggs. I replied that he didnt shine but I liked the look of young Ferguson.
I am reminded of this conversation quite often when me and dad talk about football.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Keane. Especially after being really worried he’d be off to Blackburn. Best signing in our history.

davidmichael

Signing Cantona from Leeds when they were champions and he was their best player blew my mind at the time and I was buzzing to watch him play for us.

Signing Rooney in 2004 was the closest thing to signing Cantona I’ve ever felt but this was also signing what looked like the next best player in the world based on Euro 2004 and best yet he was already England’s golden boy, he may not have hit Ronaldo or Messi levels but he was a top five in the world player consistently for a good period of time.

Signing Andy Cole was a massive buzz for me personally as I thought he was only behind Shearer as the best English striker around and I thought alongside Cantona he’d be immense, he may not have hit the heights immediately but he went on to score so many massive goals for us and some trophy winning ones.

Eire Red United

Thought Di Maria was coming to us to be a top 5 player in the world but instead ended up with a pathetic, cowardly excuse for a footballer. Had high hopes for Sanchez as well. I’ll be honest I did think Morgan Schneiderlin would be the midfielder we’d been missing since Keane...

Manoucha09

Rooney would be the obvious answer. Saha was also an exciting signing, considering the way he played against us earlier in the season. And obviously Van Persie was another that I'm sure we were all excited about.

However, my pick would be Van Der Sar. We'd gone through a few turbulent years after Schmeichel and I had a feeling that Edwin was going to do well for us. Got off to a great start as well.

To a lesser extent, I was also excited to see Park. He was great for that PSV side who just about missed out on the Champions League final, losing on away goals against Milan the season before Park's move.

Finally, the most recent would be Amad. Still looking forward to his Old Trafford debut. Got a feeling he does well tomorrow if he plays.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Di Maria. He was so fun to watch the season before as a makeshift CM for that Real side.

Depay is a really good shout too, I think everyone just assumed he was gonna be another young Ronaldo type winger cutting in and smashing them, and then he looked amazing in preseason too :lol: Although I still say his performance against Midtjylland is one of the best performances of the last decade for a United player. One of those nights where every trick and thing he tried was working.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Bastian probably for me - I thought he was going to be able to crank it out until he was 35+

The other one, that nobody else has mentioned, is Kagawa - I was incredibly excited when we signed him

Reactions: Cheimoon

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Andy Cole was a buzz because it was totally out of the blue. Rooney of course, and I honestly was thrilled when we signed Michael Owen. Always wanted to see him in a United shirt.