Who’s is currently the best manager in the world?

Treble

If Heinckes manages to win the CL again, I'll believe he is the best.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Has to be Valverde.

1. Guardiola
2. Valverde
3. Sarri

Just for brand of football.
What brand of football?

Guardiola and Sarri play with Cruijffian principles.

Valverde has made Barcelona like any other team, they play more like an Italian team. Compared to the other 2 he is a mediocre coach.

They didn't register a single successful attack against Chelsea except from a mistake. The football Barcelona play is the worst I have seen for a very long time.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
What brand of football?

Valverde has made Barcelona like any other team, they play more like an Italian team. Compared to the other 2 he is a mediocre coach.

They didn't register a single successful attack against Chelsea except from a mistake. The football Barcelona play is the worst I have seen for a very long time.
And yet they still got a great result away from home, will win the league and are still unbeaten in it, are in the cup final and have exceeded all expectations. Sarri on the other hand has crashed out of the Champions League, Europa League and bottled Serie A. So remind me which one is the mediocre coach?

Treble

And yet they still got a great result away from home, will win the league and are still unbeaten in it, are in the cup final and have exceeded all expectations. Sarri on the other hand has crashed out of the Champions League, Europa League and bottled Serie A. So remind me which one is the mediocre coach?
Some fair points but Napoli would be a completely different beast with Messi and Suarez.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
So if results is the best and only way to judge managers there is no need for you to watch any football games, just check the score after the games are finsihed.

Who has the better squad? Who has the better structure? Does Sarri have Lionel Messi? What is their squad size.

It's patently obvious that Sarri is a superior coach to Valverde all you have to do is watch the games of Napoli and Barcelona.

How can they bottle a league that they were never favourites to win? Juventus are arguably an elite team with Real Madrid and Barcelona and have reached 2 champions league finals in the last 4 years.

The fact that Sarri has Napoli challenging the behemoth is a testament to his coaching. They have an owner that does not spend and have no squad depth hence their inability to fight on multiple fronts.

This is just common sense and can be deduced simplt by observation.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

1 Heynckes
2 Allegri
3 Sarri
4 Jardim
5 Simeone

Given our club and the sort of football the fans of the club would like to see i'd say we should be looking at no 3 and 4. Jupp isn't an option obviously, Allegri is a hell of a coach, however if we're to get someone like him i'd like to see it after we have a coach that'll turn us into an attacking juggernaut. I'd steer clear of Simeone despite his greatness, he'd turn us into a passionate side, but the football would be in question although not as bad as what we have right now.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
1 Heynckes
2 Allegri
3 Sarri
4 Jardim
5 Simeone

Given our club and the sort of football the fans of the club would like to see i'd say we should be looking at no 3 and 4. Jupp isn't an option obviously, Allegri is a hell of a coach, however if we're to get someone like him i'd like to see it after we have a coach that'll turn us into an attacking juggernaut. I'd steer clear of Simeone despite his greatness, he'd turn us into a passionate side, but the football would be in question although not as bad as what we have right now.
Heynckes is not a coach. He is like Sir Alex Ferguson and Laurent Blanc, he oversees the training but the actual coaching is done by his assistant Peter Hermann and Hermann Gerland.

RooneyLegend

Heynckes is not a coach. He is like Sir Alex Ferguson and Laurent Blanc, he oversees the training but the actual coaching is done by his assistant Peter Hermann and Hermann Gerland.
Don't believe that for one second. His passion for coaching has been expressed for many years, it's been said to be one of the reasons he doesn't want the Germany job.

Kapardin

1 Heynckes
2 Allegri
3 Sarri
4 Jardim
5 Simeone

Allegri is hands down the best option after Mourinho. I am just worried he may join Arsenal, he could turn them into a real threat.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So if results is the best and only way to judge managers there is no need for you to watch any football games, just check the score after the games are finsihed.

Who has the better squad? Who has the better structure? Does Sarri have Lionel Messi? What is their squad size.

It's patently obvious that Sarri is a superior coach to Valverde all you have to do is watch the games of Napoli and Barcelona.

How can they bottle a league that they were never favourites to win? Juventus are arguably an elite team with Real Madrid and Barcelona and have reached 2 champions league finals in the last 4 years.

The fact that Sarri has Napoli challenging the behemoth is a testament to his coaching. They have an owner that does not spend and have no squad depth hence their inability to fight on multiple fronts.

This is just common sense and can be deduced simplt by observation.
I didn't say they were the only way. In fact, if anything, it was you who insinuated that there is a "only way" by bringing up style of football and totally ignoring results!

Yes, Valverde has Messi and Sarri does not. I remember the Messi excuse being trotted out for Pep too. He's only good beacause he has Messi! It's funny how coaches like Martino and Vilanova (RIP) were failures despite having him though, isn't it? It's almost like you still need to build a team around him and set up a solid structure.

Anyone who has watched Barca this season can see that Valverde has had a clear impact on their defence. They're a better defensive side now than at any other time I can remember them. That counts for something instead of just rubbishing everything he's accomplished so far because he has Messi.

They were favourites up until 2 weeks ago when they bottled it at home to Roma.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Anyone out of Pochettino, Mourinho, Klopp and Simeone.

Last edited:

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
What brand of football?

Pep's Barca has looked toothless quite a few times too (Chelsea/Inter) despite having the best Barca squad ever, as well as his Bayern (Madrid/Barca/even against Moyes' Man Utd for most of the time :lol:). I wouldn't be surprised if Pep's City crumbles this year against the likes of Real/Barca again. As if the "Cruifjfian principles" are faultless, lmao...

I don't think there is a universally "best" coach, just a coach that is best suited for certain teams. Like Pep for those with unlimited budgets that have individually superior players for 99% of the time, Klopp for 2nd tier teams with limited budgets or (old) Mou for teams with big "egos" like Ibra/Eto'o etc.

Infra-red

What brand of football?

Do you consider Tuchel, Nagelsmann and Sampaoli to be proper Cruijffian disciples?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I am going to predict that by 2022 Jardim will have emerged as the new top manager in the world.

Schneckerl

Guy does not spend. He sticks to the youth players that were brought in, exception made of Asensio. He had a solid base to work with but he went about his job with what he had instead of bringing new players in.
Why would you spend when you have one of the best squads ever? Their 15/16 and 16/17 was not a 'Solid base'...

Lets say someone takes over City next year and decides tobuy no further players, you wouldn't praise him for having 'limited resources' either.

Last edited:

mvpkennedy

What has Tuchel done that Klopp has?

Proved his variability. Played a pressing and more defensive style with Mainz (changing formation for nearly every opponent) and then changed the DNA of Dortmund within a few weeks. From Klopp´s high pressing high intensity to a positional play with more possession. (4-1-4-1 or 3-4-3)

PepG

Supports
Ajax
There is not a better coach than Pep. Yes, i am biased but the guy is clearly ahead of all other coaches especially on how he prepares his team for the games. Yes, he is a positional play prophet BUT thats just one side of his full ideology.. Its a fundament on wich he builds and builds.. His ability to adapt and to use different approaches is what makes him great. For example in my honest opinion right now his City side is the most dangerous team on a counterattack in the world! Thats why he is far superior than any other protagonist type of a coach -Sarri,Tuchel,Fonseca or whoever.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Marcelo bielsa? I know how crazy this guy is but still very pragmatic .

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Not sure who's second best but Klopp and Guardiola are the best fit for the "United way" that we all harp on about. It's a shamshamee really.

Hughie77

Carlos carvahal, at Swansea..? There' one for you.. getting the best out of mediocre players and they are ,not one in the squad would get on our bench, but when he goes for it he goes for it. Puts as many players as he can in box when there attacking. He's a breath of fresh air.

Not good enough for us but just a pointing out how many football men there are that could be better with better players.

RoyH1

Horses for courses. With a team fully loaded with superstars it's hard to look past the likes of Guardiola and Heynckes. But if I'm looking for Stoke or Malaga to avoid relegation they're not necessary my first pick

RooneyLegend

Allegri is hands down the best option after Mourinho. I am just worried he may join Arsenal, he could turn them into a real threat.
I'd like us to focus on getting someone to get our attacking heading in the right direction before a more tactical coach.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're a better defensive side now than at any other time I can remember them. That counts for something instead of just rubbishing everything he's accomplished so far because he has Messi.
Not true at all. They were one of the best defensive sides ever between 2009-2011 under Guardiola. Much better than now. Their great defensive record this season has a lot to do with luck and Ter Stegen. They're a great defensive side, but they give up a lot more chances than they did under Guardiola. In fact, they give up more chances than City, who are also a more attack minded team than barcelona under Guardiola...

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I didn't say they were the only way. In fact, if anything, it was you who insinuated that there is a "only way" by bringing up style of football and totally ignoring results!

Yes, Valverde has Messi and Sarri does not. I remember the Messi excuse being trotted out for Pep too. He's only good beacause he has Messi! It's funny how coaches like Martino and Vilanova (RIP) were failures despite having him though, isn't it? It's almost like you still need to build a team around him and set up a solid structure.

Anyone who has watched Barca this season can see that Valverde has had a clear impact on their defence. They're a better defensive side now than at any other time I can remember them. That counts for something instead of just rubbishing everything he's accomplished so far because he has Messi.

They were favourites up until 2 weeks ago when they bottled it at home to Roma.
To be fair here Vilanova won the league with a record amount of points and reached the semis in the CL. Valverde still has some work to do to emulate that let alone beat it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It’s hard to see past Pep or Simeone at the moment. Pep’s consistently winning trophies wherever he goes (which is still impressive in spite of the blank cheque he’s got right now) and the only weak season he’s really had was his first year City.

It’s easy to forget what Simeone’s done at Atletico because we’re all so used to them now but to have them continually competing with the top two in Spain in spite of their far inferior resources and the regular threat of losing their best players is phenomenal. Even if his style is more functionary than entertaining.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Not true at all. They were one of the best defensive sides ever between 2009-2011 under Guardiola. Much better than now. Their great defensive record this season has a lot to do with luck and Ter Stegen. They're a great defensive side, but they give up a lot more chances than they did under Guardiola. In fact, they give up more chances than City, who are also a more attack minded team than barcelona under Guardiola...
Great Post .

mvpkennedy

1.Pep
2.Heynckes
3.Simeone
4.Allegri
5.Klopp
6.Pochettino
7.Tuchel
8.Jardim
9.Low
10.Conte

Honorable mentions: Sarri, Montella, Bielsa, Nagelsmann, Mourinho :D, Spalletti, F.Inzaghi, Tedesco

Edit: Totally forgot about Zidane and Valverde :eek:

So Zidane number 4 and Valverde to the honorable mentions.

Giggs86

Surprised no one has mentioned the German National team manager - Joachim Löw. Surely makes the top ten?
Not for me. He's been managing an international side for the past 14 years or so and he doesn't have any recent experience outside of that. Being an international side manager is like semi retirement, there is no intensity outside of a three week period every two years. You can't really compare him to club managers who play games week in week out.

Inter Yer Nan

Would've been Simeone for me, even though he declined a bit. But right now — probably Heynckes (let's see how he fares in the CL though)
Someone has actually done great this season. It's always hell trying to keep up with Barca and Real and this season they were hampered by a transfer ban which had nothing to do with him. They are having a great season in La Liga, Barca are just unbeaten.

He's developed young players well too. I wish they hadn't had the ban. I think they'd be a great bet to win the Champions League and would be closer in the league. Don't forget they haven't had even a decent striker since 2014.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How are Jose and Pep missing from so many lists... crazy.