Who’s the best “on his day” player?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
For me, Adama Traore is the prototypical “on his day” type player. Wildly inconsistent, mostly overrated, goes through a purple patch where he’s often touted for a big move and can be borderline unplayable, but then falls off the face of the earth for another few months or so.

But, on his day….

Who’s yours. Basically, a player who fits the definition above. I think most here know what I mean by the phrase.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure Messi and Ronaldo count as "wildly inconsistent and mostly overrated" ya bunch of jokers!

slored1

Pogba (if he counts). If not then Gareth Bale these days. When he turns it on, he is some player.

Nico87

Assuming we’re talking about players that are prominently underwhelming but if they were to actually be driven and determined personalities could be consistently world class. Ben Arfa

For me, Adama Traore is the prototypical “on his day” type player. Wildly inconsistent, mostly overrated, goes through a purple patch where he’s often touted for a big move and can be borderline unplayable, but then falls off the face of the earth for another few months or so.

But, on his day….

Who’s yours. Basically, a player who fits the definition above. I think most here know what I mean by the phrase.
He’s amazing at beating players got pace, strength, great control etc I think what limits him and has prevented him getting a big move is his finishing..20 or so years ago wouldn’t have been much of an issue but in 433 world top teams want wingers who become inside forwards and can score 15-40 goals a season.

To answer your question I’d say Messi but pretty much everyday is his day… so I’d probably say the player who makes biggest difference “on his day” is Pogba

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Any top class professional

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He’s amazing at beating players got pace, strength, great control etc I think what limits him and has prevented him getting a big move is his finishing..20 or so years ago wouldn’t have been much of an issue but in 433 world top teams want wingers who become inside forwards and can score 15-40 goals a season.

To answer your question I’d say Messi but pretty much everyday is his day… so I’d probably say the player who makes biggest difference “on his day” is Pogba
Yeah, Pogba is an interesting one because I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think he's THAT inconsistent. He can be infuriating at times so maybe he qualifies. As I said, he's an interesting one.

And yeah, players like Messi and Ronaldo are the very definition of consistent. So they're the antithesis of "on his day" type players. At least if we're going by my definition.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yeah, Pogba is an interesting one because I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think he's THAT inconsistent. He can be infuriating at times so maybe he qualifies. As I said, he's an interesting one.

And yeah, players like Messi and Ronaldo are the very definition of consistent. So they're the antithesis of "on his day" type players. At least if we're going by my definition.
Agreed, when everyday is "his day", you're not an "on his day" type of player.

dinostar77

Djalminha, Jay jay Ochoa, Kanu, Wanchope (derby county). Basically any of these talented players who are inconsistent as feck.

Giggsyking

Nani
He was a bit inconsistent, but his lowest performance was still very good. But boy on his day, he was the best player in the world. I really miss a player of his caliber in the team.