g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who are the top 5 box-to-box midfielders of all-time?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Keane
Viera
Gerrard
Toure

Toure was a beast in his prime. Surprised no one mentioned him.
Toure was only good going forward

He wasn't really box to box when he was playing his best football, Mancini would take off a striker and move Toure in to an advanced role so in my opinion he doesn't qualify as a box to box

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
According to Rooney: Cryuff, Maradona, Messi and Eusebio.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Toure was only good going forward

He wasn't really box to box when he was playing his best football, Mancini would take off a striker and move Toure in to an advanced role so in my opinion he doesn't qualify as a box to box
I'd disagree. He did solid defensive jobs on many occasions, but had a lazy tag following him around. Sometimes merited, but he was definitely box to box.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How is Pogba getting into people's list. Ridiculous

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Keane
Viera
Gerrard
Toure

Toure was a beast in his prime. Surprised no one mentioned him.
He never was a box-to-box, really. A great defensive midfielder for Barcelona and a fantastic attacking midfielder for City — but those two stages of his career never intersected. His best games were when Mancini fielded another midfielder and released Toure from midfield duties, a bit like Lampard (with even less defensive responsibility).

edit: almost word for word @Vialli_92 :lol: Great minds...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Carlton Palmer yet :confused:

But seriously...

In blighty
Robson
Souness
Vieira(still have to double check how to spell his name)
Yaya
Keane

Some monster midfielders over the decades Worldwide, but not what you'd call box2box, more either 4s, 6s or 8s

If I had to pick one i'd say Franklin Edmundo Rijkaard

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Shocked Vidal hasn’t gotten more love. Right up there with the best of all time for me.

Biased obviously but I’d have Keane as #1. Vieira, Ballack, Davids and Schweinsteiger are all obviously right up there.Essien in his prime was a force too but couldn’t sustain it with injuries.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

5 players I think deserve a mention
De Rossi was more defensive in my book but he could contribute to the attack. I don’t have him down as a maurauding box to box.

Mendieta’s Focus was on going forward and Alonso was more of a DLP.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hard to include Keane on that basis.
?
Keane is polls apart from Davids in the offensive third. After Ajax, Davids was basically a non-entity as an attacker scoring a paltry c. 17 goals in over 300 club games. Keane matches that with his 2 best goalscoring seasons for United alone.

Even in missing chances or supplying for others, Keane is considerably better than Davids over the course of their careers.

----

re. Robson being better than Keane. Yes, as a footballer, he was a better player, but Keane's feats, despite being the lesser player put him above Robson in an exercise like this and the NT stuff really is the epitome of the difference. Robson was always injured at the times where he could have taken his status to another level, which is a shame. There's no question that he had the ability - playing Maradona's Barcelona off the park is testament to that - but the cold, hard facts are that Keane is not a case of 'what if' as he did carry his NT to heights they had no business being at and Robson didn't, or at least not on the same scale.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rijkaard is a #6! very blurred lines putting him in as a CM when the majority of his career wasn't really about that even if he had the ability to do it with the best of them.

He's in the same category as Beckenbauer for this, IMO, where both of them would completely shake up the box2box category if that was where they spent the majority of their careers.

freeurmind

weak willed
De Rossi was more defensive in my book but he could contribute to the attack. I don’t have him down as a maurauding box to box.

Mendieta’s Focus was on going forward and Alonso was more of a DLP.
"The definition of B2B is being competent in defense, neutral or attack." Just going off that in the OP. De Rossi for me is one of the most skilled all around midfielders we've seen in the last 15 years. Criminally underrated player
Mendieta was ability to affect the game at both ends of the pitch was probably his best quality.
Alonso definitely became a dlp when he moved to Real but at liverpool he was almost always alongside Gerrard, with Hamman or sissoko or Mascherano in the holding role.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Didi looks a bit out of place here, was pretty much full-time attacking midfielder with Zito sweeping in behind in the games I've seen with him. Can't argue with the rest
Didi played in the central 2 of a 4-2-4 formation, yet successfully covered the pitch with aplomb. Its why Ill always place him in that bracket. Yet indeed he was more of an AM than all the others.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Falls way short in both attack as a whole and goalscoring. He'd be in the Gattuso destroyer mid category, and fantastic at that, he was.
His goalscoring record declined sharply after he left Ajax, but he was too skilful and expansive on the ball to lump him into the 'destroyer' category. Those surging dribbles upfield in particular (see 1:32 in the video below) are a hallmark of a proper box to box player.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The usual names have already been mentioned, but Clarence Seedorf is worth a shout in regards to recent times, as I can't really comment on anything prior to the early 90s.

He was great to watch, as was the Gattuso, Pirlo and Seedorf midfield 3 at Milan. He was quite similar to Pogba, the way he made things look easy whilst opposing players just bounced off him, but he had a lot more defensive awareness to his game. 4 Champions League medals too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His goalscoring record declined sharply after he left Ajax, but he was too skilful and expansive on the ball to lump him into the 'destroyer' category. Those surging dribbles upfield in particular (see 1:32 in the video below) are a hallmark of a proper box to box player.

I really like Davids; not slighting him with what I'm saying, however, there were clearly limitations when he got into the final third. In relative terms, his shooting was poor in this company and he would flap when in on and goal, too. He could run hard and maraud, but he wasn't effective in the way that true box-to-box midfielders are when he broke the lines.

Davids also worked more to the left and wide(ish) than he did dead-centre and through the middle. He was very much a hybrid of a player, but the majority of his work was running and ushering like a mad-man.

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
I have never considered Bastian a B2B. He was a winger made into a Deep-lying playmaker.

And Matthäus was my idol growing up. He was a Libero like Beckenbauer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Rijkaard is a #6! very blurred lines putting him in as a CM when the majority of his career wasn't really about that even if he had the ability to do it with the best of them.

He's in the same category as Beckenbauer for this, IMO, where both of them would completely shake up the box2box category if that was where they spent the majority of their careers.
Can't agree at all, Rijkaard peak was playing in a midfield two in 4-4-2 paired with Ancelotti/Albertini, he is the epitome of defensive box-to-box (same as Keane, Davids, Tardelli etc.). There are attacking box-to-box players, like Matthäus, Falcão, Breitner, Robson, and there are defensive box-to-box, but they are b2b nonetheless.

Beckenbauer played most of his career as a libero, it's not the case with Rijkaard.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can't agree at all, Rijkaard peak was playing in a midfield two in 4-4-2 paired with Ancelotti/Albertini, he is the epitome of defensive box-to-box (same as Keane, Davids, Tardelli etc.). There are attacking box-to-box players, like Matthäus, Falcão, Breitner, Robson, and there are defensive box-to-box, but they are b2b nonetheless.

Beckenbauer played most of his career as a libero, it's not the case with Rijkaard.
I know people will disagree because of the system he came up in - a DM can also break rank and drive forward, especially so if accompanied by another one.

Perhaps Rijkaard's studiousness behind the ball hurts him here, for me, his primary role was to protect, not automatically drive at the opposition unless opportunistically. That's different to everyone else listed, who would go as soon as they could.

A question would be whether Rijkaard ever played the CM role as recognised by the rest - even Beckenbauer in his brief stint in the position. I'm not sure that he did - He was a DM who could attack brilliantly, imo.

luke511

How is Pogba getting into people's list. Ridiculous
How is it ridiculous? I'd bet my house if I scrolled through your past posts after a game where he's ran the show I'd find one that'd suggest you hold a similar opinion in regards to his ability.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Come to think about it I will go with Xavi as the best. Because when you think about it he did move box to box.
Xavi also worked much harder defensively than most people remember.

If we are talking about traditional box-to-box midfielders, Schweinsteiger and Vidal are some of the best I’ve seen in recent times.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How is it ridiculous? I'd bet my house if I scrolled through your past posts after a game where he's ran the show I'd find one that'd suggest you hold a similar opinion in regards to his ability.
Yeah I rate the guy and I've been defending him a lot recently but a) I don't even think he's a box to box midfielder and b) he's not even amongst the best of those in the past decade or so let alone all time. It is ludicrous to put him in all time discussions at this moment in time.

Devil may care

Bryan Robson and Lothar Matthaus for me taking into account contributions in both defense and attack as well as having actually watched a lot of them, as opposed to just some Youtube comps like with several of the other players listed in here.

Deleted member 101472

Matthaus and Neeskens are the best in an all time pool and probably by some margin. From what I know, Masopust would fall into the category just below.

As far as who I’ve seen, both Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane were as good as it gets in the premier league era, and Michael Ballack at his peak was a great B2B player.

Denis79

Matthäus for me, the man had it all. Favorite is Robson though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pogba up there already, ahead of powerhouses like Gerrard (though id say both him and Lampard were most effective as a sort of 8/10 hybrid role in a 3 man midfield so not quite mainstays in a midfield 2) and Essien?

There’s one playa who I never really watched enough of, so I always find it difficult to rate him. Redondo.

@Vato @Brwned @Invictus how good was he, say next to a Roy Keane?
:lol:

Web of Bissaka

Interesting --- we all have our own understanding of wth is "Box-to-Box midfielder".

Some posts are on-point though imo.

Funny, this thread pop-up after...

"With some comments from important people in football, I got a bit confused," said the United boss.

"For me box to box means (gestures) box to box.

"(It) Means you have to defend well, have the physical conditions to go to the other box, where you have to be good at scoring, creating, heading and then, when your team loses the ball, you have to go to the other box.

"Now people say a box to box has to play free of defensive duties.

"That is not box to box - that is a box in the box and stay in that box!

"I think nowadays with some pundits, some agents, some family members, I think the concept of the box to box is changing a little bit."

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
With the exception of Beckenbauer, Lothar Matthaus was the greatest CM in history.
Neeskens, Falcao, Tardelli and Rijkaard complete the top 5