Who failed us tonight?

SAFMUTD

What is the players? Our best performers through the season where Shaw, Bruno and Rashford. Only Shaw was up to the standard with Rashford having a nightmare of a game.

Or what is Ole? ridiculous game managment, self sabotage.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
From the 1st to the 90th minute, by order of performance:

1. Lindelof and De Gea
2. Rashford
3. Pogba
4. Fernandes.

From the 90th to the 120th.
The management.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This one is on the manager I'm afraid to say

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Awful management, should have kept rashford or greenwood on the bench for later in the game, should have subbed the keeper close to the end of extra time

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We didn't make a sub for 100 minutes. Took off our best performing attacker when we did make the sub. Ole has to take the majority of the blame here.

Player wise, yeah, Bruno and Rashford bottled it big time. Shaw wasn't very good either IMO. McTominay did well, Pogba was fine, Cavani did pretty well, Greenwood did well. Didn't have the cutting edge unfortunately, mainly down to our 2 main attackers being off.

Lastly, love De Gea but the second it went to penalties it was hopeless for us. 35 pens without saving one. That's horrible.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
McTom is the only one to come out with any real credit after 120 minutes. Maybe Cavani as well.

AshRK

Sadly Ole. Every tom and haary could see rashford was having a mare, everyone knew de gea cannot save pens, everyone knew our players were tiring and he needed to bring fresh legs. If it was one mistake then I would have given him a pass but he made all the mistakes. So blame has to go to Ole.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Villarreal came in to park the bus, muck it up and try to nick a smash&grab win. Everybody knew they would do this for weeks

So Ole's definitely guilty here. But also, there are only so many things you can plan against a team that plays like that. Bruno, Rashford and Pogba were supposed to be the answer, and they were united's 3 worst players on the pitch

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The only players that can say they performed to their usual level or close to it are McTominay and Cavani imo.

Dan_F

From the 1st to the 90th minute, by order of performance:

1. Lindelof and De Gea
2. Rashford
3. Pogba
4. Fernandes.

From the 90th to the 120th.
The management.
Agree with most of it, but why De Gea for 1st to 90th? You’re blaming that goal on him I’m assuming?

Nori-

A few but most frustrating was Rashford.

The way he constantly just runs into players when taking them on. I don't know what he is attempting to do but it isn't working and he needs a new idea. Lindelof was fecking awful too. Cant wait to see the back of him.

hobbers

Ole.

In terms of players, Rashford, De Gea and Pogba. No one expects better from Lindelof and Bailly do they.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Agree with most of it, but why De Gea for 1st to 90th? You’re blaming that goal on him I’m assuming?
In my estimation, the goal is a collective mistake between those two. Lack of leadership, communication and skills. Goalie should have been stronger and given commands, Lindelof should have put his body on the line.

I've seen the same exact goal too many times this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The manager and his staff are primarily to blame, mostly for the things that have been ever-present problems for us all season. Most notably set-pieces and constantly falling behind.

If we're blaming players, quite a lot of them underperformed. Lindelof for the goal, De Gea continuing his penalty run, Bruno struggling in another big game, Rashford being the worst player on the pitch, etc. But I wouldn't be particularly harsh on any of them. It was a collective failure rather than an individual one.

Acole9

Outstanding
Solskjaer and De Gea mainly. Lindelof wasn't strong enough on the goal and how often do we say that about him... a lot.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The Glazers.

Honestly what do people expect? Ole to bring on Lee Grant up top? De Gea to bury a pen top corner?

Bigbusdutz

Solskjaer picked his strongest 11 and the 11 that the Redcafe wanted and got rid of the McFred midfield .

I think the result is on the players they didn’t turn up

Dan_F

In my estimation, the goal is a collective mistake between those two. Lack of leadership, communication and skills. Goalie should have been stronger and given commands, Lindelof should have put his body on the line.

I've seen the same exact goal too many times this season.
Fair enough, I agree with that mostly, even if I don’t think there was much he could have done about this one specifically. In Lindelof, AWB and DDG we have three completely passive players in our back five.

Walters_19_MuFc

Players, in my opinion.

Ole put out an attacking team. We dominated possession and go into some good areas. That's when you need your big players to step up and create moments of magic, especially in games such as this, where teams play with a low block.

Often, the wrong decision was made in the final third or we were too slow in moving the ball. That, and it was an absolute sin to concede the way in which we did.

Of course people will talk about subs and how Ole could have potentially bought players on earlier but put yourself in Ole's shoes. He has started with his strongest front four, who, even though they can be poor at times, can produce moments of magic. He looks to his bench, and no disrespect but he seems James, young Amad, VdB, who has done nothing of note this season and an aging Mata. These were our attacking options. Therefore, whilst people agree with him or not, I can see why Ole wanted to wait it out a bit, just to see if that front four could produce something, which they so often have done this season.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, and in the end, Ole has obviously put on the penalty takers, who, to be fair to them, didn't let him down. Felt all the pens were fantastic, but we just lacked that cutting edge in normal time.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Certain players not turning up and Ole's in game management is what failed us tonight. The game was there to be won and we pissed it away.

SAFMUTD

The Glazers.

Honestly what do people expect? Ole to bring on Lee Grant up top? De Gea to bury a pen top corner?
Exactly, how can we ask Ole to beat a team that costs 1/3 of ours? simply cant be done

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Solskjaer picked his strongest 11 and the 11 that the Redcafe wanted and got rid of the McFred midfield .

I think the result is on the players they didn’t turn up
He didnt pick Fred because he was injured. And you dont just pick a starting eleven and win either. I could be Machester United manager if thats all you have to do. Tonight's result is on the manager, just look at the 2 squads and admit it.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The Glazers.

Have you actually compared our squad to Villareal's? Can you imagine Ole with Villareals squad? Our team was vastly superior in every position we had 2 shots on target in 120 minutes thats not the Glazers fault, just admit the truth, we should have won comfortably tonight. We lost.

Ole'sattheWheel

I really thought Shaw and Rashford down the left were awful. I'm never usually this critical (my average ratings on here are way above the cat average for example), but man were they both poor. I'd like to see some stats as I swear Shaw gave the ball away at literally every opportunity.
Such a shame as he's been great this season.

Bruno and pogba also were a letdown. They're supposed to be the big boys who win big games for us but tonight they were awful.

Greenwood played really well and AWB I thought was okay.

Just seemed to be "one of those games" in all honesty, it wasn't like any match I'd seen us struggle in before. Seemed like every niggly ricochet and 2nd ball went directly to one of their players - not to mention the ref was the only person on the pitch as bad as Rashford.
Weird game really, with a fitting end.

I still believe in him but it’s Ole. Subs awful, Pogba in CM awful, picking De Gea awful, not leaving one of Greenwood or Rashford on the bench; awful.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Exactly, how can we ask Ole to beat a team that costs 1/3 of ours? simply cant be done
Have you actually compared our squad to Villareal's? Can you imagine Ole with Villareals squad? Our team was vastly superior in every position we had 2 shots on target in 120 minutes thats not the Glazers fault, just admit the truth, we should have won comfortably tonight. We lost.
Pep could have been manager of that squad tonight and they would have been too tired to break down eleven men behind the ball. Wake up and smell the coffee gents - the club is going absolutely nowhere under current ownership. Could be another four years for a final.