Who is the best player in the world?

RashyForPM

Let’s settle it here. This thread will cause loads of debate, but for the first time in a very long while, the answer isn’t automatically Messi or Ronaldo.

So, Cristiano bombed out of the CL yesterday, Messi did the same 3 weeks ago (he has an impossible second leg tonight), Mbappe and Haaland are looking ridiculously good and are improving rapidly, Neymar is Neymar and is brilliant, Lewandowski’s goalscoring this season matches Ronaldo and Messi in their prime while Bruno, Kane and KdB are ripping it up in the PL. You could even chuck the best defensive-minded players in the world in the discussion, like Kimmich, Van Dijk, Neuer, Oblak, Ramos etc.

In my opinion, it’s Lewandowski. What does everyone think?

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
1.Lewadownski
2. Mbappe
3. Haaland.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Haaland. Haaland would better lewa’s numbers this season if he played on Bayern

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Overall it's probably Lewandowski. If we're going by current form it's probably Lingard.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
1. Lewandowski
2. Haaland
3. Bruno

Obviously.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
With the numbers Harry Kane is putting up this year he has to be in the discussion. Just imagine what he would be doing if he had an attack minded manager...16 goals and 13 assists in 25 games are sick numbers for a #9. Lewandowski is putting up sick numbers too with 31 goals and 6 assists in only 23 games, but he plays for a team that is head and shoulders better than pretty much everyone in the league while Kane plays for the 7th place team.. I imagine if Kane was playing for Bayern he's be putting up similar numbers to Lewandowski...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Let’s settle it here. This thread will cause loads of debate, but for the first time in a very long while, the answer isn’t automatically Messi or Ronaldo.

So, Cristiano bombed out of the CL yesterday, Messi did the same 3 weeks ago (he has an impossible second leg tonight), Mbappe and Haaland are looking ridiculously good and are improving rapidly, Neymar is Neymar and is brilliant, Lewandowski’s goalscoring this season matches Ronaldo and Messi in their prime while Bruno and KdB are ripping it up in the PL. You could even chuck the best defensive-minded players in the world in the discussion, like Van Dijk, Neuer, Oblak, Ramos etc.

In my opinion, it’s Lewandowski. What does everyone think?

The question posed as is means it cant be answered definitively.

Lewandowski is probably the best striker but as a midfielder or defender he's not so good which is not surprising since he's a forward.

So should the question be who offers the most to his team?

Or should it be broken down into asking who is the best player in each position?

There is no answer to a simple question of who is the best player in the world. Its comparing apples with oranges and pears.

RashyForPM

The question posed as is means it cant be answered definitively.

Lewandowski is probably the best striker but as a midfielder or defender he's not so good which is not surprising since he's a forward.

So should the question be who offers the most to his team?

Or should it be broken down into asking who is the best player in each position?

There is no answer to a simple question of who is the best player in the world. Its comparing apples with oranges and pears.
Generally, I’m asking who is the best. Who contributes the most from their position. I think it’s Lewandowski personally.

Tallis

Based on performance, probably Lewandowski.

Bayern will win trophies this year and particularly if they do the double in the CL, he will generally be recognised as the most important player in world football currently.

However, Mbappe’ and Haaland’s time is just beginning and suspect in 10 years time, Lewandowski won’t even be in the discussion (and that would be unfortunate in my view).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lewandowski, but not by that far.
Neymar, Mbappé, Haaland, De Bruyne somewhere very close.
Bruno, Kane are getting there. Messi's still probably somewhere close to this group.

Riz

Based on performance, probably Lewandowski.

Bayern will win trophies this year and particularly if they do the double in the CL, he will generally be recognised as the most important player in world football currently.

However, Mbappe’ and Haaland’s time is just beginning and suspect in 10 years time, Lewandowski won’t even be in the discussion (and that would be unfortunate in my view).
When he’s 42? Of course he won’t be in the discussion for best player in the world, he’ll have probably been retired for about 5 years. :lol:

Falcow

With the numbers Harry Kane is putting up this year he has to be in the discussion. Just imagine what he would be doing if he had an attack minded manager...16 goals and 13 assists in 25 games are sick numbers for a #9. Lewandowski is putting up sick numbers too with 31 goals and 6 assists in only 23 games, but he plays for a team that is head and shoulders better than pretty much everyone in the league while Kane plays for the 7th place team.. I imagine if Kane was playing for Bayern he's be putting up similar numbers to Lewandowski...
Great point and the absaloute shitness of the Bundesliga should be factored into the discussion. Hard to know if Lewandowskis numbers would be better than Kanes if they swapped places but wouldnt be by much f at all I think. Kane is an incredible striker in fairness and I would love (luv it) if we signed him in the summer.

Maybe Levy will need to sell to keep up the mortgage payments, or else he might get a visit from 'The cant pay, we'll take it away' guys......sorry Mr Levy, we have a court order allowing us to repossess assets, who owns that Kane over there?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lewandowski - soon to be Mbappe or Haaland

Inter Yer Nan

Correct answer is probably "none" since there's so many candidates now. Lewandowski probably feels like the right pick, if anyone has to be, due to his record, and the fact he's the best player on the best team and they just won everything and possibly might again this year. Haaland, Mbappe are obviously shit hot. I do want to see Mbappe in a better league but he's damn good for country and in Europe. Messi can't have fallen that far off, he's surely in the mix, but feels maybe outside the top five. De Bruyne, and Bruno are the best of what the Premier League has to offer and huge players for their teams. Kane is great too. Can't help but feel he'd be rated much higher if he signed for a better team.

It's up for grabs, but feels about two years away from it being Haaland's (when he moves), and Mbappe's (if he moves) to duke it out for.

Oranges038

Probably Lewandowski.

I wouldn't even consider Neymar or Mbappe, playing in a one horse league and currently second. Not a chance they should even be in the discussion.

Haaland.

He's just about matching Lewandowski's numbers whilst playing for a significantly worse team. Haaland has 31 goals in 29 games vs 37 in 33. Or a goal every 79 minutes vs a goal every 76 minutes.

Mbappe is beginning to fall behind.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s Lewandowski. Easily so.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You can pick your answer from a pool of 5-10 players or so and it'll depend on form or who has the most recent memorable performance. It'll stay like that too until someone can ascend to Messi/Ronaldo levels and be a clear level above that group.

Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Neymar, Mbappe, Haaland, Lewandowski, Kimmich are the first names that come to my mind. Van Dijk too if can return to early 19/20 form after his injury.

mvpkennedy

Lewandowski has 10 Goals + 6 Assists in 11 Matches against Premier League Clubs since 2013 (Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea)

He didnt score in neither of the 2 games against Liverpool, when it was the weakst Bayern team for years (with Kovac).

Tallis

When he’s 42? Of course he won’t be in the discussion for best player in the world, he’ll have probably been retired for about 5 years. :lol:
Really ? That’s shocking.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Luke Shaw, innit?

But, yeah - probably Lewandowski. There isn't an obvious, standout candidate at the moment, though.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neuer and Lewandowski are the two best right now and well ahead of everyone else. Can pick either as the best depending on the day.

Outside of them you'll have plenty of players who can argue for that. Kdb, VVD, Kimmich, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably Lewandowski.

I wouldn't even consider Neymar or Mbappe, playing in a one horse league and currently second. Not a chance they should even be in the discussion.
Bundesliga is a 1 horse league too? And PSG missed so many players at the start of the season that they started with 2-3 losses

They’re inconsistency is down to the team being disjointed, not because Neymar and Mbappe aren’t performing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Few players playing at similarly high level at the moment but not much to separate them. I would say the best of the bunch are Lewa, Haaaland and Mbappe.