Who is the better player: Mbappe or Henry?

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Gonçalo Motta

Nah, not really. We don't particularly care and there are no acrimonious rivalries like that - mostly because we're not fans of players as a rule, we're fans of teams. So those comparisons might happen between active players, but those kind of historical ones, not so much. We mostly just don't care. Also no, while we do revere our past greats, we've had enough recent greats - and winning ones at that, world champions - that it's not blasphemy to compare them

AND FIGHT! @JPRouve :D

See above. Baggio vs Del Piero was a thing very briefly, Del Piero vs Totti more so, but again, not something people particuparly cared about. Only Roma and Juventus fans did and neither cared about what the others thought anyways, so. For the neutrals, it's Baggio anyways :D

Hardly carried them given how good those sides were and how well they did in the league. Plus they beat a United side in transition, and even managed to lose the title to them once anyways - if anything that was the season you could say Henry carried them, and they didn't win. Then Roman came along and that was that.

Funny thing is they were actually still a great team without Messi, but when Messi was on the pitch everybody else just sort of stood around waiting for him to win by himself. The Zlatan effect. Messi being Messi he still won the league twice and nearly got them in a CL final...

I would have been. Again, something that happened once and by a guy who scored over 90 goals in a calendar year, reaching a level of consistency in goal scoring that's never been seen before or after
Didn't he scored 48 goals in La Liga in the 14/15 season while missing a couple of games because he was injured? With his average that season, that means that he would hit 50+ goals if he played all games. It's not like it matters, but its not like the guy was miles away from doing it either. Feels like it's something that could have easily happened, therefore I wouldn't be surprised.

Its all gone Shane Long

Internationally it’s Mbappe but I think Henry has done it in the hardest league in the world where as Mbappe had it easy in France, will probably have it easy at Real Madrid. Henry for me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't he scored 48 goals in La Liga in the 14/15 season while missing a couple of games because he was injured? With his average that season, that means that he would hit 50+ goals if he played all games. It's not like it matters, but its not like the guy was miles away from doing it either. Feels like it's something that could have easily happened, therefore I wouldn't be surprised.
Yes. But being able to play 38 games while juggling CL is itself something that doesn't happen

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
"The Thierry Henry finish" is almost automatic for Mbappé these days. Give him that angle within 25 yards of goal and you're hoping he hits the post basically

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
"The Thierry Henry finish" is almost automatic for Mbappé these days. Give him that angle within 25 yards of goal and you're hoping he hits the post basically
Ohhhh somebody’s got the gooogly eyes and wants Kylian back… :angel:

:lol:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Club level, Henry.
International, Mbappe.

Pick the one you prefer, i'll go with club football, personally.
Talent-wise, probably not much in it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I prefer Henry's peak at club level but I struggle to put him above for this simple reason, in continental competitions Henry has played 115 games, registered 51 goals and 16 assists. Mbappé played 61 games, registered 48 goals and 22 assists.

Now people will rightfully say that raw stats aren't everything but when the gap is that big, it has to represent something.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

One thing i noticed when looking at their CL records is that they are a good example of the smaller teams that would be expected to (and quite often did) finish 3rd and 4th being more competitive in the '00s. Mbappe has come through in the era of those team regularly taking beatings, and even though he's unarguably been a prolific scorer against the bigger teams, he's certainly picked up his share of goals in those games.

Look at the games in which both scored/assisted where smaller league (outside top 6-7 coefficient) teams are losing by a GD of at least 3-4 goals

Mbappe:

17/18:
vs Celtic 5-0 = 1 goal
vs Anderlecht 4-0 = 1 goal, 1 assist
vs Anderlecht 5-0 = 1 assist
vs Celtic 7-0 = 1 goal

18/19:
vs Red Star 6-1 = 1 goal, 1 assist
vs Red Star 4-1 = 1 goal, 2 assists

19/20:
vs Brugge 5-0 = 3 goals, 1 assist
vs Galatasaray 5-0 = 1 goal, 3 assists

20/21:
vs Basaksehir 5-1 = 2 goals, 1 assist

21/22:
vs Brugge 4-1 = 2 goals, 1 assist

22/23:
vs Maccabi Haifa 7-2 = 2 goals, 2 assists

15 goals, 13 assists

Henry:

97/98:
vs Lierse 5-1 = 1 goal

02/03:
PSV 4-0 = 1 goal, 2 assists. Personally wouldn't include this as Dutch league was still quite good at this stage when compared to a decade later, but some might.

04/05:
vs Rosenborg 5-1 = 1 goal

05/06:
vs Sparta Prague 3-0 = 1 goal

3 goals against unarguably smaller league teams getting beatings.

Mbappe has 31 goals/10 assists against top five league teams in 53 games and 8 substantial tournaments regarding minutes played. Henry has 29 goals/15 assists in 67 games and about 10-11 substantial tournaments (depending on your view of 09/10). I couldn't be bothered to do the per minutes played stuff for each, and just did this quickly on transfermarkt so there could be a slight miscount or two in there. Personally i don't have a strong opinion either way on who is better, and there's no doubt Mbappe will be well ahead by the end of his career, but it's not hard to see Mbappe has benefited a lot so far (in terms of closing the numbers gap so quickly) from the increasing concentration of talent into fewer leagues/teams, and smaller sides becoming regular punching bags.