Who is the GOAT attacking threat from full/wingback?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
There was much discussion as to Trent's defensive ability but ignoring defensive ability entirely, I was wondering who do people think is the GOAT attacking threat from full/wingback?

For me it's hard to say. More modern full-backs are in much more dominant/ attacking sides, than say Cafu was at Roma or Brehme at Inter, so their numbers are much better than the older players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If we're only talking about their attacking contribution then it's probably Dani Alves.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No mention of Facchetti?
Then Kaltz wasn't bad either.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Marcelo, Alves and Carlos. Brazil basically

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Dani Alves, then Marcelo and Carlos.

TAA is gonna be up there when all is said and done.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
In term of attacking contribution, Alves in number one for me.

For my lovely Trent, I would say he has a potential to surpass Alves too. Right now, Trent’s offensive game is still behind Alves but not that far.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
So the consensus seems go be -

Tier 1

Alves
Marcelo

Who is tier two?

Trent? Cafu? Kaltz?

(On Bobby Carlos after seeing a decent number of videos of him from the late 90s his attacking contribution was not as great as I had remembered it)

harms

Staff
All-time contenders:
Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Brehme
Kaltz
R. Carlos
Facchetti
C. Alberto

At this point I think we’re fully entering the balanced territory like Krol, Cabrini, Amoros, Zanetti etc.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think Leandro deserves a mention. Although the likes of Alves, Cafu, Facchetti and Carlos outstrip him for dynamism and physical flank domination, like Marcelo he could have comfortably operated as a 10 such was his close control and technique.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
For me: all time contenders ( only in offensive)

Alves
Marcelo
R.Carlos
Cafu
Brehme
Leandro
Breitner
Leo Junior
Kaltz
Facchetti
C.Alberto
Amoros

I definitely rate inverted-full/wing back like Leo Junior and Breitner in offensive contribution too. Since both of them joining midfielders helped their teams in term of creativity, linking-up play and long-range shooting (especially Breitner). They added another dimension of attacking to their teams.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Trent and Robertson are already near the top, specially considering Kaltz is being mentioned so much

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I wasn’t considered Trent on my list due to his potential. He has a potential to be number 1 in my list ( right now, he isn’t for sure) and he is only 23 years old. So, when he grows up into his max potential. I will put him on my list.

Base on only offensive criteria, I rate him as top5 but I think he can definitely go ahead in the future. He has been developed a lot during 2-3 years in offensive skills like in this year he has developed in cutting inside and acted like inverted-fullback not only a one dimension crosser anymore. I will see in recent years, what skills he will add in his offensive games. From what I’ve seen he seems to develop his skills both offensive and defensive games every single year. I can’t predict what skills will my team staff put in him.

P0GBA

If Ryan Sessegnon had moved to somewhere other than Spurs I think he would be another good option.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
All-time contenders:
Alves
Marcelo
Cafu
Brehme
Kaltz
R. Carlos
Facchetti
C. Alberto

At this point I think we’re fully entering the balanced territory like Krol, Cabrini, Amoros, Zanetti etc.
Having watched a crap ton of him recently, I am inclined to even move Cabrini to the top tier. Was too good going forward, much better than what I rated him before.

Alves vs Marcelo is a great topic for debate though. I personally rate Marcelo higher unlike most others seem to. As much as I have no doubt that Alves belongs in the top 2, I think he benifitted a lot from the team he was playing in and the players he was surrounded with. Marcelo on the other hand just elevated his team to another level - always rated him among the 3 most important players for Madrid in the last decade.

harms

Staff
Alves vs Marcelo is a great topic for debate though. I personally rate Marcelo higher unlike most others seem to. As much as I have no doubt that Alves belongs in the top 2, I think he benifitted a lot from the team he was playing in and the players he was surrounded with. Marcelo on the other hand just elevated his team to another level - always rated him among the 3 most important players for Madrid in the last decade.
Maybe. I certainly don't think that Alves is miles ahead of Marcelo, they're very close. But even for that Barça he was on par with Busquets as their fourth best/most important player... and I don't think that if you were to put Marcelo into that Barcelona, he would've been able to outperform one of Messi/Xavi/Iniesta. That Real team was almost as good but the supporting cast to Cristiano still haven't been able to reach Xavi/Iniesta's level for me and it also had more variety (with only Ramos, Marcelo, Benzema and Modrić being the mainstays, I believe — Alonso, Casemiro, Kroos, Bale, Di Maria, Özil etc. had all played important roles in different seasons).

For me what separates Alves is his post-Messi career — mostly his performances in midfield for Brazil (MVP in 2019 Copa America). Marcelo is a better dribbler but overall Alves' skillset is a bit wider. The fact that Alves is still an important part of Xavi's Barca resurgence, aged 38, while Marcelo had been chilling on Madrid's bench for a couple of seasons now, aged 33, also enhances that gap for me.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Cabrini's main weapons were overlapping run and crossing. For me, he was the master at "the art of timing for overlapping". He always made a right decision when he overlapped or stayed at the back and that made him became one of the best at his position. Outside of overlapping run and crossing, he was an accurate penalty-kick taker and free-kick taker. He scored some beautiful goals from free kick . He was a superb long shot taker too especially considering that he was a left back.

I think his style of playing is a lot similar to Brehme but the difference is Brehme was better at all kind of set-pieces(free-kick, penalty),long shot and crossing. Imho, he was even better than Brehme in term of timing for overlapping run and tenacity to going forward.

I would say his aerial abilty is pretty underrated too, he was very good at this department ( not at top class for sure but still great).

He scored 2 decisive goals in 1981 and 1986 that decided Serie-A champions.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Maybe. I certainly don't think that Alves is miles ahead of Marcelo, they're very close. But even for that Barça he was on par with Busquets as their fourth best/most important player... and I don't think that if you were to put Marcelo into that Barcelona, he would've been able to outperform one of Messi/Xavi/Iniesta. That Real team was almost as good but the supporting cast to Cristiano still haven't been able to reach Xavi/Iniesta's level for me and it also had more variety (with only Ramos, Marcelo, Benzema and Modrić being the mainstays, I believe — Alonso, Casemiro, Kroos, Bale, Di Maria, Özil etc. had all played important roles in different seasons).

For me what separates Alves is his post-Messi career — mostly his performances in midfield for Brazil (MVP in 2019 Copa America). Marcelo is a better dribbler but overall Alves' skillset is a bit wider. The fact that Alves is still an important part of Xavi's Barca resurgence, aged 38, while Marcelo had been chilling on Madrid's bench for a couple of seasons now, aged 33, also enhances that gap for me.
Fair points.

The last bolded bit probably has more to do with Barca's current situation more than anything else though

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Or him at Sevilla.

Dude was basically their playmaker.