Who is the most famous footballer you've played with?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
So I played with this 50 plus man a few months ago, introduced himself as Wynton and a common friend who had gotten him along told us he was the top scorer in a European Cup campaign for Werder. Thought he was yanking our chain, but turned out the old bloke was several levels above any of the young decent footballers on the pitch.

Didn't give it much thought after that but just decided to google him randomly because I remembered his name in a conversation, and it turns out the guy was actually pretty fkin famous. New Zealanders and Bundesliga followers would know of him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynton_Rufer

Any other such stories?

Last edited:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I played with Denis Irwin at Electronics Boutique (now game) in the Trafford centre where I worked. Virtual Striker on the dreamcast.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
So I played with this 50 plus man a few months ago, introduced himself as Wynton and a common friend who had gotten him along told us he was the top scorer in a European Cup campaign for Werder. Thought he was yanking our chain, but turned out the old bloke was several levels above any of the young decent footballers on the pitch.

Didn't give it much thought after that but just decided to google him randomly because I remembered his name in a conversation, and it turns out the guy was actually pretty fkin famous. New Zealanders and Bundesliga supporters would know of him...

Any other such stories?
I remember this guy. Rufer was a very good striker in Otto Rehagel's Werder team that won trophies in Germany and Europe when I started to really watch football. He was nicknamed "Kiwi", of course.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Played a fair few times against Stefan Johansen in our youth, he plays for Celtic & Norway.
Also "played" (kicked the ball around) with a few people from Rosenborg a fair few years back.

The Purley King

I played for Swindon SuperMarine years ago and for a few games played up front with Jimmy Quinn.
He could head a ball harder than I could kick it and was still a handful even approaching 40! I learned a good few strikers 'tricks' from him......

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
You won this thread 2 minutes after its creation.
I could add Boghossian, Djorkaeff and a lot of 98' World cup winners too.

I played against Nasri, Benzema and Ben Arfa, a friendly against Geneva (Djourou and Senderos) when we were at young level (Nasri was outstanding)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Wynton Rufer. I play in his indoor football team from time to time and also have had a few games in his summer 7 aside team. Also had to mark him in a charity game a number of years ago.

Stack

Didn't give it much thought after that but just decided to google him randomly because I remembered his name in a conversation, and it turns out the guy was actually pretty fkin famous. New Zealanders and Bundesliga followers would know of him...

Any other such stories?
I know Wynton reasonably well. Germany wanted him to play for them but he had already played for NZ at senior level. His coaching academy has over the years produced a large number of the better young players currently doing the rounds in our local scene.

Trizy

Played against and with some lads that are now in Airtricity with my college team. No one of note though, I'd love to play with Paul Scholes :drool:

Red Stone

Does Wynton Rufer spend his days attending every kickabout in all of New Zealand?

Chaky_Best

Played professionally have you?

Edit: And how ridiculously good are they btw?
No I'm not a pro.

I was at Evian Thonon's (Ligue1) Academy when I was younger and played against Lyon, Marseille in our League (As the French first level is divided in 4 zone, I was with Marseille, Saint-Etienne, Cannes and Lyon) so that's why I played against them been younger. Nasri was the bestm but the most talented was Ben Arfa. I remember him because he dribbled us, even the keeper and came back to beat him a second time... ridiculous

Stack

2 others but these were on coaching courses. Neil Emblem who played for Wolves in the EPL in the 90's. Top guy too and also Ryan Nelsen during a promo for a kids coaching program here in NZ

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I've played with Wynton Rufer. Was having a kick about in my back garden and the cheeky fella dropped in. Nice bloke tbf.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No I'm not a pro.

I was at Evian Thonon's (Ligue1) Academy when I was younger and played against Lyon, Marseille in our League (As the French first level is divided in 4 zone, I was with Marseille, Saint-Etienne, Cannes and Lyon) so that's why I played against them been younger. Nasri was the bestm but the most talented was Ben Arfa. I remember him because he dribbled us, even the keeper and came back to beat him a second time... ridiculous
Nice one, did you choose not to pursue a professional career or was it just getting too tough?

Cool story though, if you ever move to Paris and want to play with a shit amateur team, let me know! :D

Chaky_Best

Nice one, did you choose not to pursue a professional career or was it just getting too tough?

Cool story though, if you ever move to Paris and want to play with a shit amateur team, let me know! :D
I'll be in Paris nex week (my bro lives there)

No I wasn't good enough to be

coolredwine

lameredboots
I could add Boghossian, Djorkaeff and a lot of 98' World cup winners too.

I played against Nasri, Benzema and Ben Arfa, a friendly against Geneva (Djourou and Senderos) when we were at young level (Nasri was outstanding)
You've really wasted your career man!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pablo Aimar.

A friend's brother got through to a European schools tournament and I came along for a holiday with him.

There was a very casual kick about with about 30 of us playing on a pitch laid out for 6 aside and he dropped in to play with us. He tried a few tricks and stuff but had no space whatsoever and you could tell he was a bit fraustrated he couldn't show off. He wasn't even big enough to hold the ball off from a bunch of 14-19 year olds bless him (albeit it 5 or 6 on him every time he got the ball). He soon gave up, went to the side lines to do a few tricks and what not and sign some autographs before disappearing off.

Jaap

I remember this guy. Rufer was a very good striker in Otto Rehagel's Werder team that won trophies in Germany and Europe when I started to really watch football. He was nicknamed "Kiwi", of course.
Very good penalty taker: sped up, almost stopped just before he effortlessly placed the ball in the opposite corner the goalie had jumped.

Yasin Öztekin, one year at Dortmund's U-11s.

GloryHunter07

When i was 8ish i used to play with someone who went on to become a youth team player at Wycombe Wanderers.

He now cuts down trees.

Jammydodger7

Went on holiday to Ayia Napa one year and met afew lads there, turned out they were friends with Stephan Hunt and he was arrived the next day, Ended up playing 5 a side with him, Pro Evo and going out for drinks with him and his friends!

MPTutd

Former England U-21 striker Nick Forster. Decent player who was sold for £1m at one point. Played for Gillingham, Brum and Reading amongst others. Always got a goal against us.

Sir A1ex

Danny Higginbotham, who was at my primary school. His retirement from the game earlier this year was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my hopes of becoming a pro.:smirk:

saivet

Hardly call it playing but Michael Tonge used to live near me when I was a kid. When my mates and I were going to the park for a kick about we'd sometime knock on his door. He mostly didn't answer but a couple of times he did come out and do some keepy upys with us for about 30 seconds then went back inside.

No idea what his name is either but played with a one time captain of Sheffield Wednesday, his son came to our school for a few months. No idea of his name but he was a big ginger centre half.

I can't claim it was me but one of my close mates when at Sheffield Wednesday academy played against Pogba. Said he absolutely bossed the game and not surprisingly was the best players he's ever played against/with.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not played with, but I played against Dennis Praet's team a couple of times. He was unbelievably good, we drew one time, lost all the other ones. Also faced Christian Benteke's brother a couple of years ago, he was just an animal..

Played with a couple of guys who now play in our second division but you wouldn't know them of course. And with Filip Daems from Gladbach in an exhibition game because his sons play at my current club (he lives in my home town).

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
When I lived in Sale we used to play on Sundays on the Girls' grammar field and one day one of the guys brought his cousin who played for Sheffield United (I can't remember his name). The funny part of the story is we tried to get more people to make a better game so my mate Andy rode round to see this guy called Mike. He knew him well and his mum told him to just go up to his room. When he got there he found him in the middle of the floor with a candle up his arse. He came back crying laughing and it was all over school by the Monday.