Who Needs Another Season in the U21s?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I suspect all reserve team fans are aware of the gulf in quality between the reserve team and the first XI. And when a player does well in the U21s we tend to call for a loan asap, hoping they can find the right role in the right club to help bridge that gap.

But is there anyone that you think needs another season in the U21s rather than a loan, for whatever reason?

One who comes to mind is Andreas Pereira, who can show flashes of brilliance but doesn't seem to have found his comfort level yet at U21s and can disappear from games. I'd like to see him be more dominant before he goes out on loan, in part to assure he gets games.

For all his pace and power I think Janko needs another season under Joyce to work on his fundamentals. There are more efficient ways to use those attributes.

I liked the look of Ekangamene at CB and would mind seeing him get a full season for the reserves in that position.

khoazany

Janko,A.Pereira,McNair need another half of the season IMO in the position that we think their future lies on.Weir,Love,Rowley should stay for at least half of the season starting regularly before going on loan.Grimshaw needs a full season.He barely played any minute this season.

Pearson and Rothwell are ready for loan but I'd imagine one of them will stay for another half season to be blooded in the first team by LVG.Think Wilson will be in and out between the U21s and first team for at least before January though I don't mind if he goes on loan and Henriquez stays or both of them on loan and Fletcher starts for the U21s.

Ekangamene,Lawrence,James and all the older players(Thorpe,M.Keane,Varela...) need a loan or promoted if they ever want to make it with us.

I hope the U21s XI for the first half of next season would be something like J.Pereira - Janko,Love,McNair,Rowley - Grimshaw,Rothwell(Goss) - Harrop,A.Pereira,Weir - Wilson(Fletcher) with the likes of Fletcher,Willock,Goss,McConnell ready to take the place in the second half of the season.

Last edited:

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I think Ekagamene should go out on loan, he's a natural CB and I think he's better there than in his favoured midfield position. I'd send him out to the championship, although I'm not sure he was getting game time at league 1? But I have such belief in him.

Yeah Pereira definitely needs a full season in the u21s as does Pearson.

I'd get rid of Amos and make Joel Pereira first choice u21s goalkeeper.

If we can get Rothwell a decent loan, I'd be happy with that.

Let me start this again, the following players should not be playing u21s next season: Charni, James, Thorpe, Keane, Lawrence, I actually have no idea where I'm going with this now because it's not as simple as just getting them out of the u21s. Players like Wilson, varela and co can still be playing u21s whilst challenging for squad places for the first team.

khoazany

I think Ekagamene should go out on loan, he's a natural CB and I think he's better there than in his favoured midfield position. I'd send him out to the championship, although I'm not sure he was getting game time at league 1? But I have such belief in him.
Too short for a CB.Even Thorpe was letting in a few goals in the air when he played for Birmingham I don't think Charni can do any better with his height.His positioning wasn't top class to make up for it.

Blackett shouldn't play U21s next season either.Too many RBs next season for Varela to stay full-season IMO with Vermijl coming back and C.Evans promoted along with Janko and Love still around.

Last edited:

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Too short for a CB.Even Thorpe was letting in a few goals in the air when he played for Birmingham I don't think Charni can do any better with his height.His positioning wasn't top class to make up for it.

Blackett shouldn't played U21s next season either.Too many RBs next season for Varela to stay full-season IMO with Vermijl coming back and C.Evans promoted along with Janko and Love still around.
Yeah that's the one problem I have with charni at CB, his height, but I still think he's a natural there.

dutchred

Yeah that's the one problem I have with charni at CB, his height, but I still think he's a natural there.
Height does not have to be a problem for a CB, look at Carnavaro, Baresi, etc. Height used to be a problem in the UK in the "good old days" when every team have a Caroll type centre forward. Most top teams do not play thet way now. Thorpe will become a top CB, despite his height

khoazany

Height does not have to be a problem for a CB, look at Carnavaro, Baresi, etc. Height used to be a problem in the UK in the "good old days" when every team have a Caroll type centre forward. Most top teams do not play thet way now. Thorpe will become a top CB, despite his height
Not like people here aren't aware of those short but brilliant CBs but the truth is they (Charni or Thorpe) will most likely be send out the Championship or League One on loan and more than half of the teams there were operated in a "traditional" English style of cross-header-goal type of tactics.If they're not able to cope with these kind of teams they will easily be benched by the manager there and it won't be reflected well in their loan report.We tend to cherish of more the ball-playing kind of CBs that's a good thing to see but as long as we're competing in British football, we must live with the footballing culture's fault.

I don't think Charni should play CB on loan based on the reason above but I'm happy to be proved wrong by him.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Charni is a defensive midfielder all day long for me. He did a great job as an auxiliary CB but his energy is wasted there, and - as khoazany pointed out - he lacks a bit of height.

Ekeke

You can be a great CB if you lack height, due to having a great leap the same way Hernandez can be a real threat in the air. Have we seen that from Charni? I dont think so.