Who replaces Rashford?

CM

Rashford can be upgraded but I think it's unlikely he'll be sold, barring a ridiculous offer from someone like PSG. If he does get replaced, it's far more likely to involve a gradual phasing out before we look to move him on permanently.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to him leaving but I doubt the powers that be will sanction his sale unless it turns out to be financially lucrative for the club. There's already so much to do this summer and I think the view will be selling Rashford creates more work for themselves.

Rashford's stock is pretty low at the moment and we've been here before. He's a streaky player and a new coach could have him scoring 15-20 again next season.

Red Regista

He is an attacking midfielder (who drifts to LW from time to time)
Yes and we need to change our tactical setup imo.
4-2-3-1 will never beat City for the league.

We should go 3-5-2 really or 3-4-2-1 to load up midfield (for control) and strenghten central defense (3 instead of 2)

2 at the back plus a central attacking midfielder (Bruno) is just not gonna work.

Wirtz and Amad would be perfect in that system, Hojlund too.

What's fecking us the most is weakness in central midfield, weakness defending and ineffectiveness from our wingers/ inside forwards.

All three issues are mostly down to tactics, plus like I said to start dominating games in the PL again and not getting played off the pitch by the likes of fecking Brentford, we must adapt and embrace modern tactics that assert control.

Wilt

I think his situation is already quite toxic. The moderates have all turned on him. Surely more than 90% want him out. It won't be that enjoyable, so he'll be motivated to find a new club. The big question is whether he'll take a pay cut to leave.
Doubt he’ll take a pay cut, Utd will have to construct a deal where he doesn’t miss out financially. Even so I’d still be very surprised if he agreed to go.

Utd will never challenge for the title while Rashford remains a key player.

Hats off to any manager who succeeds to get rid of him.

Last edited:

hobbers

Rationally he’s decent ant times and deserves to get a chance unless a big offer comes for him.
Rationally, based on the level he's given to the club in 2 out of the last 3 seasons, what he deserves is 200k deducted from his paycheck every week and to only start in cup games and the Europa conference.

simplyared

Dwight McNeil would definately be an upgrade compared with both Rashford and Sancho imo. Sell Rashford to Spurs (or similar) and we'd have money in the bank if we bought McNeil.

cyril C

then we will only have one LW.
the ideal case will be to sell Rashford and replace him with another hungry LW to compete with Garnacho.
Incorrect. Every attacking players that we have, is either a false #9, or prefer playing on the left. Martial, Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho. Only Pellistri and Antony seem to be comfortable on the right.

If Sancho stays, we still have 2 LW.

cyril C

Then I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs looking to buy him.
How many clubs can afford him, should be the 1st question. --250-300K
How many clubs willing to give us an attractive offer?

40m? P off
80-100m, lets talk
150m? Can I get you something? Tea or Coffee, or Irish Coffee?

Malons

The problem with the "replacement" discussions is that it always assumes it'll be a similar player, with similar attributes, fulfilling the same role within the team. We're not that guy with the hair trying to find the person most like Freddie Mercury we can we sing the songs in the way we're used to them being sung.

We shouldn't limit ourselves to people we think can produce a decent Marcus Rashford tribute act. Replace him with someone competent, even if their ability to run into defenders and lose the ball doesn't make us all nostalgic for Rashy.

With overlapping full backs, Garnacho, Antony...if we did lose Rashford, with all the other issues we have, getting in a wide forward with pace, I'm not sure would be the priority in our attack.

Not replacing like for like is how teams evolve and - hopefully - improve.

Last edited:

JeffFromHK

Incorrect. Every attacking players that we have, is either a false #9, or prefer playing on the left. Martial, Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho. Only Pellistri and Antony seem to be comfortable on the right.

If Sancho stays, we still have 2 LW.
considering Martial and Sancho are very likely to leave this summer, how am i "incorrect"?

padzilla

Hipster
I think Rashford is still an asset on his day but he's not good enough to be a guaranteed starter each week, if he was a squad player there would be no issue but he's on wages that suggests he is one of the best in the world, which he isn't.

diarm

40m? P off
80-100m, lets talk
I’d absolutely bite the hand off anyone who offered to cover his wages and pay us £40m cash.

We could sign 3 more effective players with the funds that 40m would free up.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rashford lacks consistency and it is no use if he has 6 great games a season. His work rate is pathetic as are the excuses by fans why he is not performing. Sell

Monks_United

We should buy a young talent to replace Rashford. Heard of this young phenom in the J-League goes by JLingz who might be worth a punt !

Von Mistelroum

Ironically the only club who would buy a player like Rashford as he is, would be us! We're the only club who are seemingly unable to tell when a player is washed up or on a step decline (Schweinsteiger, Casemiro etc.) I don't think this means we don't have to replace him though. He's so bad that playing him is more-or-less equal to playing with ten men, so he can't be allowed to be on the pitch every week even if he's sticking around, and even if he's paid a fortune.

I guess we could play Garnacho (who also needs to improve greatly in some areas) but ideally I'd like to see us play him on the right, bring in a new LW, and keep Rashford out of the squad completely, or at a push, on the bench if we have to. Kvaratskelia (probably butchered that) would be my first choice but he'll be very pricey.

Hammondo

40m? P off
80-100m, lets talk
I don't think we will get 80m. Closer to 50m.

tidraKS

No need, because Garnacho is there, and Greenwood will be back on the right.

Shinjch

If we could get Bowen for the front three he would be a good replacement. Garnacho could move to the left then.

Cecc

I'd rather watch Rashford stink up the place for many more years than have him back.
OK, but don't complain after the many incoming pathetic performances. Too many saints here. I'm sure you guys never make mistakes, so you have the right to judge other people...

jimmyb2000

I would love it if we were able to offload Martial, Rashford and Sancho in this window. So far only Martial is certain to be gone.

Sadly, I think we'll be stuck with Rashford stinking up the place until the end of his current contract which expires in 2028.