Who was better - Cole or Yorke?

RickG19

Yes but the general consensus at the time was that he needed 6 chances to score 1. And most games he got 6 chances. When Yorke arrived he reached a whole new level that most thought he didn't have in him.
This. He had a reputation as a misser of easy chances. However, he was always in the right place at the right time, to miss those chances, which is another massive part of being a goalscorer.

Yorke better all-round player. Cole more one dimensional but better goalscorer and better United career.

pacifictheme

He used to be very wasteful in his early years at United, take 4 or 6 good chance to score a goal every time, or something like that. And he couldn’t score for England. Remember we used to have best midfield and best creative support in the country by far during that period to supply Cole the goals. His average is around 15-16 goals a season during his early years at United playing as sole striker. It’s similar to Lukaku score rate, while Lukaku playing with much worst midfield support behind him here. His later years were good though, a proper top striker in the league, but in England there was Shearer, who was much better. It’s all about finding Shearer a good partner.
Cole pre united was a beast though. It took him a long time to adapt to us. His pre united numbers were pretty special.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very harsh. He could be frustrating, granted. But far from a flop.
Form my childhood memory, he was probably the most frustrating player I've ever watched, in his early United years. Just imagine, I grew up as a kid watching genius of Cantona and amused by our perfect midfield play, but with most of our beautiful attack move end up with Cole squandering the final ball, is terribly frustrating to watch.

Last edited:

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Form my childhood memory, he was probably the most frustrating player I've ever watched, in his early United years. Just imagine, I grew up as a kid watching genius of Cantona and amused by our perfect midfield play, but with most of our beautiful attack move end up with Cole squandering the final ball, is terribly frustrating to watch.
That was early years though. I don't know why it didn't click between him and Cantona but Cole made up for it later on.

Foxbatt

To me Yorke. He could do everything. Drop deep and collect the ball and dribble, head and shoot from range and is fairly acrobatical too.

Foxbatt

Plus Yorke brought a positivity and was always smiling and looked as if he was enjoying every minute. Cole looked miserable most of time and especially worse if he sees Sheringham coming on.

TRUERED89

Brilliant goal. Love the pass from Keane and the dummy. Can't remember seeing anything that inventive for a long time from a United team :(
The closest to this I can remember, is Rooney and Welbeck vs Everton 4-4 at OT. The game that effectively gave city the title in 2012.

schmeical'sreusch

If Cole had put that chance away against West Ham I wonder if people would view his 'flop' years differently? I remember being super hyped when he signed for Man Utd, I didn't see his first match for us on TV (think I listened on the radio) and I know he missed a few scoreable chances. Seemed like it took him a while to settle in.

humdinger

Very different players. But Yorke for me. During that treble season he was absolutely fantastic

AdNani

Yorke for me

Bit Unrelated but was Yorke good In the air? Like I know he’s a good header of a ball but did he have a leap? Or was it just Beckhams crossing that lead to all his headed goals, I always remember him as being great In the air but looking back on the goals from 99 he never really outjumps people that often