Who will score the goals this season...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
...and will we score enough?

I've no confidence in Rashford or Martial at all.
Ronaldo might be to old and the other lad is never coming back.

Are we going into the season with Ronaldo as the target man?

For all ETH can bring will it be enough if we don't have anyone to score the goals.

Top 4 will need 75 goals plus I reckon

OverratedOpinion

We have quite a lot of players with goals in them.

I would expect Bruno, Sancho, Rashford and yes probably Martial (if still here) to score more goals than last season assuming Ten Hag can get us playing.

I do think we need to replace Greenwoods 15 goals mind, a lot of his goals were very individual in nature.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If Ronaldo plays 35 games, he's good for 20 goals. I'm expecting strong seasons from Rashford and Sancho and they can get 25 goals between them and then Bruno + Eriksen is good for another dozen. A few set piece goals from the defenders and midfielders should get us around the 72 goal mark.

Oaencha

We will look better as a team but I still can’t see many players making double digits. Ronaldo is a safe bet. Maybe Fernandes and Sancho. Also whoever is our choice right winger this season. Too many variables for that one at the moment.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Harry Kane might swear to have scored some, come end of the season.

lsd

The Oracle
Rashford will get 20 goals this season. The amount of hate he gets on here is absolute madness.

KeanoMagicHat

Chelsea scored 76 goals last season with Mount the top scorer with 11. City won the league with 83 goals with nobody scoring more than 13 goals in a previous season.

Better team structure + more control over games + better attacking coaching = more goals throughout the team. For most of the time under Ole, United were clinical, probably the most clinical team in the league relative to their control over games. The problem last season is that we were continually outplayed. Outplay the opposition in midfield and watch everyone score more goals.

Sancho for example got 3 goals last season in the league, he can easily get 15 if fully backed for a season. Fernandes can score 10+. Rashford it's hard to know whether last season was an aberration or a sign of things to come. But he can score 10+ as well if he recaptures his form. Then Ronaldo will score 10-15 at least if he stays you imagine. Defenders score a lot in other teams, no reason why our defenders can't score the odd few more.

McGrathsipan

Rashford will get 20 goals this season. The amount of hate he gets on here is absolute madness.
What signs from the last two seasons make you think that he gets 20?

(Plus leave the "hate" discussion for another thread

Frank White

He scored over 20 goals in a season within that time frame.
Think he's talking league only, which i dont think any of are players have that in them.

Like it's been pointed out though multiple players getting 10+ will suffice. Is interesting that in a season where Rashford was "shit" he still managed 11/11 in the league and 20+ goals total.

OverratedOpinion

Think he's talking league only, which i dont think any of are players have that in them.

Like it's been pointed out though multiple players getting 10+ will suffice. Is interesting that in a season where Rashford was "shit" he still managed 11/11 in the league and 20+ goals total.
Ah fair enough, I always look at all comps.

Only a handful of players have ever scored 20 league goals for us.

b82REZ

The constant conflating of not rating a player=hating is fecking tedious.

Rashford's form over the last two seasons has been so poor it's completely understandable people may not expect good numbers from him again this season.

Frank White

The constant conflating of not rating a player=hating is fecking tedious.

Rashford's form over the last two seasons has been so poor it's completely understandable people may not expect good numbers from him again this season.
That's fair enough but take away last year he got 17/9 g/a in 19/20 and then 11/11 in 20/21 both very good numbers.

Crashoutcassius

Ronaldo Bruno Sancho and Rashford all have good pedigree for high G/A output.

Depends how ETH lines up

Seems like Ronaldo with Bruno second striker is the only viable approach given we dont look at be replacing Cavani

If we sign a right winger then Sancho i'd imagine will play left wing and will have to get back to dortmund output numbers.

Trex

If we implement a front footed style of play there's enough goals in the side. Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno, Sancho, Martial, Antony*, Eriksen*, Elanga too

Von Mistelroum

We'll be almost exclusively relying on Ronaldo.

Rashford didn't even look arsed in the training where even Martial was running! On that subject, Martial has basically stopped being a footballer and is more of a rambler who contains his rambling exclusively to football pitches.

Sancho will score a few, Bruno too, but for the bulk of our goals we'll have to hope that Ronaldo can play game after game and keep the goals flowing.

Tommy79

That's fair enough but take away last year he got 17/9 g/a in 19/20 and then 11/11 in 20/21 both very good numbers.
If we want to take away things fair enough, so then we would have to include the fact 6 of those 17 were penalties and only 3 were scored against the top 6 teams from open play and that's not really anything to write home about and the following season he only scored 1 against a top 6 team.

I'm sorry and this has nothing to do with hate, his worthy food drive etc, those are poor stats for someone rated so highly, but let's see how he fares this season given the new manager, system and no Euros, I just hope we wait till next summer before offering him a new contract that see's us stuck with him if he doesn't improve under the tutelage of ETH.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Rashford didn't even look arsed in the training where even Martial was running! On that subject, Martial has basically stopped being a footballer and is more of a rambler who contains his rambling exclusively to football pitches.

Sancho will score a few, Bruno too, but for the bulk of our goals we'll have to hope that Ronaldo can play game after game and keep the goals flowing.
His now ex wife might disagree with that.

GueRed

Maybe a bit too soon but if we dont bring in a centre-forward this summer i'd like to see Garnacho pushed into the role as Ronaldo's back-up/rotation..
He's a genuine goalscoring threat.

Smores

Agree a Ronaldo injury (which seems likely) and we'll be screwed.

We might manage as someone might step up but given the importance of Top 4 it seems like a big gamble. We'd be looking at Rashford, Martial, Bruno to step in as a striker and question marks over all 3 of them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As long as Ronaldo is here it will be only him 95% of the time.

El Zoido

Maybe a bit too soon but if we dont bring in a centre-forward this summer i'd like to see Garnacho pushed into the role as Ronaldo's back-up/rotation..
He's a genuine goalscoring threat.
It’s not too soon, if you’re good enough you’re old enough. Never been a fan of keeping youngsters back, waiting for the day they’re ready. Top players are usually first team players by the time they’re 18 (which Garnacho is, today).

Charles Miller

When you have high possession and constantly cinculating the ball in front of the adversary box, many players could score and you don't need a front three with 20 goals each.

lsd

The Oracle
What signs from the last two seasons make you think that he gets 20?

(Plus leave the "hate" discussion for another thread
The fact he is only 24 and has scored over twenty goals for two of the last three seasons.

Last season he was below his best mostly due to injuries, team turmoil and internationals etc

I fully expect him to be firing on all cylinders this season

Frank White

If we want to take away things fair enough, so then we would have to include the fact 6 of those 17 were penalties and only 3 were scored against the top 6 teams from open play and that's not really anything to write home about and the following season he only scored 1 against a top 6 team.

I'm sorry and this has nothing to do with hate, his worthy food drive etc, those are poor stats for someone rated so highly, but let's see how he fares this season given the new manager, system and no Euros, I just hope we wait till next summer before offering him a new contract that see's us stuck with him if he doesn't improve under the tutelage of ETH.
By who? Half the fan base want him gone and the other half wouldn't be upset if he was sold. So pens don't count and goals against teams not top 6 are worth less? hmm what's Bruno stats looking like with those stipulations attached? Again what is a "good record" for league contributions?

Spaghetti

Mom's
We have already shown we miss Greenwood. He’s so good at cutting onto both feet that he often needs to be double marked (which frees up other players) so he’s useful even when he’s ineffective. Plus he scores goals that nobody else can score and creates chances out of nothing.

I don’t think he’s coming back, and it’ll be very difficult to replace him.

Moving forward, we can’t rely on a 37 turning 38 year old to keep providing all of the goals. We either need to hope Sancho, Rashford and Martial can (re)discover some form, or find a gem in the transfer market.

VivaUnited21

"Who will score the goals this season?"..

It's gotta be our worst ever player, Ronalod..

VivaUnited21

I hope so as I really like Rashford, hopefully Sancho and Bruno can bang in a few too, Also I'm expecting Martial to make an impact if he ends up staying.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo - 25
Bruno - 12
Sancho - 10
Antony - 7
Garnacho - 6
Rashford - 6
Eriksen - 5
Elanga - 5
VDB - 4
FDJ - 4
Martial - 4
Fred - 2
Garner - 2
Mejbri - 2
Mctominay - 1
Malacia - 1
Dalot - 1
Varane - 1
Maguire - 1

McGrathsipan

I hope so as I really like Rashford, hopefully Sancho and Bruno can bang in a few too, Also I'm expecting Martial to make an impact if he ends up staying.
On what basis is Martial making an impact?
I just dont see it. In fact he might even be gone by the time the season starts.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

I've no confidence in Rashford or Martial at all.
Ronaldo might be to old and the other lad is never coming back.

Are we going into the season with Ronaldo as the target man?

For all ETH can bring will it be enough if we don't have anyone to score the goals.

Top 4 will need 75 goals plus I reckon
City, Liverpool and Spurs will outscored us. They’ll probably all concede fewer too. The same could be true of Chelsea but that’s a big question mark on who they sign

Unless we are suddenly ridiculously tight at the back we’ll struggle. I could see;

Ronaldo - 20
Sancho - 10
Rashford - 10
Bruno - 10

Theres really not a lot else. We’re really short in attacking threat to be honest.

matt10000

Chelsea scored 76 goals last season with Mount the top scorer with 11. City won the league with 83 goals with nobody scoring more than 13 goals in a previous season.

Better team structure + more control over games + better attacking coaching = more goals throughout the team. For most of the time under Ole, United were clinical, probably the most clinical team in the league relative to their control over games. The problem last season is that we were continually outplayed. Outplay the opposition in midfield and watch everyone score more goals.

Sancho for example got 3 goals last season in the league, he can easily get 15 if fully backed for a season. Fernandes can score 10+. Rashford it's hard to know whether last season was an aberration or a sign of things to come. But he can score 10+ as well if he recaptures his form. Then Ronaldo will score 10-15 at least if he stays you imagine. Defenders score a lot in other teams, no reason why our defenders can't score the odd few more.
Exactly and same under Fergie, the goals were shared out amongst the team when we had a team that dominated, then in latter days when we weren't so dominant, we had to sign Robin van Persie who scored 30 goals in 48 games to secure the EPL

Zlatattack

We're going to get 20 from Ronaldo.

Anyone who plays as a wide forward or as a 10 for us and isn't getting 15 goals at least, is looking to get shipped.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The World Cup is going to create a havoc in training schedules and how players' bodies are used to adapting to fatigue across the season. Moreso for older players like Ronaldo. The adage that "football is a squad game" will be even more relevant. I don't think Rashford and Martial can play CF.

United should purchase an experienced backup striker, preferable someone who is not going to the WC. Someone who can do a good job against the bottom-10, even if you overpay a bit. Doesn't have to be a young striker, even someone who is 30 and happy to wait behind Ronaldo should do. But United need bodies.

Reactions: Invictus