Who would you have as England manager?

TrustInOle

Didn't he just beat the best international team in the world?
This. See no reason to change Southgate ATM. Been one of the best managers we have had in recent years. Also giving plenty of youth a chance, which I love to see. Should bring this back up after the euros, depending how we do.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Would like to see Ancelotti post Everton. He has major success in knockout competitions and there is enough talent in the squad to have someone like him use his gifts of man management to get the best of out the group. He might be looking for something less intensive by then too.

GenZRed

That's a very valid point.

Do you think he'd ever be interested in England ob, once he's unable to sustain the intensity of managing high pressure elite clubs?
Good question.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up managing England and I certainly wouldn't say no to having him as manager. I do however think Pep is built for day-to-day management but as you suggust, international management might be a good break from that intensity, so yes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good question.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up managing England and I certainly wouldn't say no to having him as manager. I do however think Pep is built for day-to-day management but as you suggust, international management might be a good break from that intensity, so yes.
Yeah. I can see it happening to. If he won't do Spain for reason you stated, then living in London managing England would suit him as his final gig.

GlasgowCeltic

Southgates doing a good enough job really, the top level of international football seems a safe haven for arch pragmatists like him Low and Deschamps in comparison to club football.

I can see his departure coinciding with Hodgson retiring from Palace after the next WC

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Southgate is doing fine and I suspect he is the type of manager the FA love - uncontroversial, media friendly but also a bit of a posh boy who wears a waistcoat

If he did go I'd like to see Dyche given a go but suspect we would probably end up with Steven Gerrard or Lampard (depending if Roman has sacked him by then)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am perfectly happy with Gareth Southgate and don't see any reason to change.

padr81

Supports
Man City
His team selection and 5 at the back system this season has been shocking.
He just beat Belgium (the worlds no.1 team) without Sterling and with Kane on the bench. He's made the WC semi-final (admittedly with a nice draw). He's already done better than so called great managers with the golden generation. It's workmanlike at times but he's hardly been poor. I find the wanting him sacked a bit crazy. Fair enough if he makes a mess of the Euro's but his achievements with a team many expected to bomb out in the WC groups is quite impressive.

There is people in here legit suggesting Sean Dyche as an alternative. I mean a back 9 and hoofball... over what Gareth is currently providing.

saivet

He just beat Belgium (the worlds no.1 team) without Sterling and with Kane on the bench. He's made the WC semi-final (admittedly with a nice draw). He's already done better than so called great managers with the golden generation. It's workmanlike at times but he's hardly been poor. I find the wanting him sacked a bit crazy. Fair enough if he makes a mess of the Euro's but his achievements with a team many expected to bomb out in the WC groups is quite impressive.

There is people in here legit suggesting Sean Dyche as an alternative. I mean a back 9 and hoofball... over what Gareth is currently providing.
Can't quite believe how many have suggested it too.

GlasgowCeltic

Southgate is doing fine and I suspect he is the type of manager the FA love - uncontroversial, media friendly but also a bit of a posh boy who wears a waistcoat

If he did go I'd like to see Dyche given a go but suspect we would probably end up with Steven Gerrard or Lampard (depending if Roman has sacked him by then)
Wonder how close Boothroyd is to being next in line, worrying thought

dbs235

Yeah no chance would I want Dyche in charge.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Has to be someone who is English, right? Cheating to have someone who isn't as a big football nation, again.

There aren't any established English managers with a glittering CV who the players in the England squad would respect. Potter could be good, if went to a a big club and was successful their first. If Southgate can get England to a WC semi final, with pretty much zero success at any other level of management, does it matter who we appoint? Also see Zidane, sometimes with very good players them actually listening to what you say is more important than experience.

So just anyone high profile from the prior "golden" generation, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rio, Campbell, or similar, they probably wouldn't be much if any better than Southgate, be entertaining at least though.

Dante

Average bang
It has to a highly regarded man manager, with a big enough reputation to command instant respect, and a track record of making club sides play well without spending lots of time teaching new ideas. International breaks are too brief to be able to accommodate a highly cerebral or technical coach. So appointing a pragmatist is the best bet.

An international coach's job is mostly about picking players who can transfer their club coaching to the national stage. He needs to be able to give them tactics that are adapted from how they're asked to play week-on-week. Summer tournaments aren't the place to try clever new systems. Which makes it really difficult to predict who's going to do well, because so much depends on being able to sync up the style of play at the big clubs with the style of play of the national team.

I don't think there are any English candidates who obviously fit the profile right now. I'm sure there are a few who have the talent to be successful. But the requirement to be a big name is going to disqualify a lot of otherwise good candidates. Getting appointed to manage a national side and be in charge of a bunch of superstars necessitates having a lot of hype.

Southgate snuck under the radar by getting the job when England were at their lowest. I think we're stuck with him for the Euros and probably also the World Cup.

Last edited:

Stig

I would go with a national lottery, and the person who wins gets to be the manger and is given as long as anyother manager would be based upon results. Same salary as well.

K Stand Knut

Ole!!

Some of the whiny, spoilt people on here can then talk about how good our new manager is until he loses a few games and they can turn on him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think Gary's doing a fine job.

Howe would crash and burn in the England set up considering reports of how stubborn he is to tactical suggestions from players. It might work at Bournemouth but if he tells Kane or Sterling to do one, the FA could have his coaching license revoked.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wingbacks is actually the correct formation with this bunch.

Firstly it means we can utilize our best position depth wise (right back) with Trent who suits wingback (in a team that doesn't have a system around him to hide his defensive flaws) and present day Walker who suits RCB more, then there's James who has played both those positions to back up both. It also hides the flaws of the natural CB's (none of them are good enough at the very top in a back four) and our midfielders are more suited to a flat two in midfield.

Would also be the best formation to bring players like Saka properly into the fold aswell. He's too big a talent to leave out but he's not sniffing minutes in the front three bar an injury crisis.