Who would you take from the Chelsea squad?

Teja

Genuinely curious how many of their players would be better than what we have already. Did one version with a 4-2-3-1 and another one with the 5-3-2 that Chelsea play.

4-2-3-1

-------------------------- Mendy ----------------------------
-- AwB ----- Silva ----------- Maguire -- Shaw --
---------------- Kante -- Pogba -------------------------
-- Greenwood -- Bruno ------- Rashford -------
----------------- Cavani -------------------------------------

5-3-2 (more of a 50-50)

-------------------------- Mendy ----------------------------
--- James -- Azpi -- Silva -- Maguire -- Shaw-
--------------------- Pogba -- Kante ----------------------
------------ Bruno -------------- Mount -------------------
------------------------ Cavani --------------------------------

James is a better WB than AWB which is what you'd need in a 5-3-2.
Mount at AM because Rashford / Greenwood don't really fit into their system other than at CF. Have to pick the best player for the job.
Maguire over Rudiger because as good as Rudi's been this season, I think Maguire is better.

EDIT The question should probably have been some variant of 'Which Chelsea players would improve our first XI?'. Appreciate it if mods could change the title. People are coming up with lists of players they'd take as rotation options - interesting, but not the primary question.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

I think the only two I would want us to buy is Kante and Jorginho. For free I think Werner, Havertz, Mount etc would not be bad, but spending big on them no thanks.

Reece James to fight with AWB and Chilwell to fight with Shaw would be nice too, but too much money for positions we are already strong in.

Foxbatt

Tuchel. Even before he joined Chelsea I would have him over Ole.

Balljy

In both of those teams the Chelsea team has covered our weaknesses, which is always likely when you merge two expensive teams together.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
For a 433 I'd take

--------------------new keeper
James-----Rudiger----Maguire----Shaw
----------Kante-----Bruno---Kovacic
Greenwood------Cavani-------Rashford

But I'd take Mount and Havertz too for a selection dilemma.

Their squad is significantly deeper in quality.

It's a harder question when it comes to City and Liverpool, in that it's quite depressing.

AgentSmith

Mendy​
James - Silva - Maguire - Shaw
Kante - Jorginho
Greenwood - Bruno - Mount
Cavani​

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think Rudiger is becoming quite underrated. Right now Silva would be the obvious choice but if I was buying a player and looking beyond 12 months, Rudiger to partner Maguire.

I'd also take Mendy, Kante and Jorginho.

If we're talking about first XI.

Castia

We should have broke the bank for Kante when he left Leicester. What a player.

Crashoutcassius

mendy, any of their CBs, james, any of their cms, any of their attackers would improve us. trying hard to think of an exception.

I don't love kovacic or jorginho in CM but given how weak our squad is both would walk into our 11 many weeks.

most people on the forum would have killed for werner, pulisic, ziyech, havertz last summer / just before

Dominos

I think in most positions you're going to find comparable players in terms of quality, and who you choose is basically going to come down to whether you're a United or Chelsea fan.

Kante is the player that stands out in this Chelsea side as legitimately one of the very best in the world in his position.

The biggest difference between the 2 teams is probably the managers.

Deery

Dreary
One is a big game player, the other is good at scoring penalties against mid table teams. Sorry but it’s facts. Watch them ban me for saying this.
Do you ever sit back and actually read that post and wonder why I actually support United?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do you ever sit back and actually read that post and wonder why I actually support United?
I support the club. The players are replaceable employees. I don’t think Bruno is that great. He’s alright, plays well sometimes, plays terrible sometimes. What’s so bad about thinking that? Bruno never plays well in big games. He does score a lot of pens & if you take them away from his record his goal record is nowhere near as impressive. Nothing I’m saying is untrue. I want my club to have better players & win trophies. Why is that such an awful position? I love United, and I’ll love United long after Bruno’s gone. We deserve to have nights like this

SAFMUTD

Waiting here for the Ole apologists to claim how Chelsea's entire XI is better than ours. I mean they did it with Leipzig, Leicester and Villarreal sure they can do it with Chelsea.

Balljy

One is a big game player, the other is good at scoring penalties against mid table teams. Sorry but it’s facts. Watch them ban me for saying this.
Mount has scored 6 goals this season in the premier league with one being against good opposition (Liverpool). His others are against West Brom twice, Fulham, Sheffield United & Southampton. In goal scoring terms their records are not even comparable. If we swapped the two based on this season alone we would be in trouble.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Kanté, T.Silva and Havertz for the Starting XI.

Rudiger and Azpilicueta as competition for Shaw and Bissaka (would bench these two if necessary).

Jorginho as sub. No more Fred.

Henderson
Azpilicueta (Bissaka)- Silva - Maguire - Rudiger (Shaw)
Kante - Pogba (Jorginho)
Havertz- Bruno - Rashford
Cavani (Martial)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Mount has scored 6 goals this season in the premier league with one being against good opposition (Liverpool). His others are against West Brom twice, Fulham, Sheffield United & Southampton. In goal scoring terms their records are not even comparable this season. If we swapped the two based on this season alone we would be in trouble.
Ignoring stats though, just based on watching them both play, who has had a better season?

Deery

Dreary
I support the club. The players are replaceable employees. I don’t think Bruno is that great. He’s alright, plays well sometimes, plays terrible sometimes. What’s so bad about thinking that? Bruno never plays well in big games. He does score a lot of pens & if you take them away from his record his goal record is nowhere near as impressive. Nothing I’m saying is untrue. I want my club to have better players & win trophies. Why is that such an awful position? I love United, and I’ll love United long after Bruno’s gone. We deserve to have nights like this
No doubt we deserve to have nights like this and the only way we will have is by supporting our best players which Bruno has been this past 18 months or so but his form has fallen off this last few months because he’s run himself into the ground, which is to be applauded not scorned against.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
at this point the question should be who would they take
Bruno, Greenwood, Luke Shaw.

Maybe Pogba (mostly because they have Kante) or maybe even Maguire. But never for the price they cost.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Fernandes over the season easily. Mount recently. They're not comparable as they're a different a style of player.
I guess its a dumb question (I blame the beer) because we all have different opinions on how we think the game should be played. I don’t like direct football, some people love it. Bruno is a great player in direct football. I like players who can keep the ball. So a midfielder with 70% pass completion is never going to be a player I enjoy watching. I guess it’s just a preference thing. Bruno has had more poor performances than good performances this season in my opinion, but his numbers on the goals & assists are great, so fair play to him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Why are you mentioning Bruno’s penalty goals out of interest?
Because people ignore his performances because he scores goals. If you take away his penalties he has 15 goals in 58 games this season. Considering his average position is often further forward than the striker, is that really as impressive as people make out?

Balljy

I guess its a dumb question (I blame the beer) because we all have different opinions on how we think the game should be played. I don’t like direct football, some people love it. Bruno is a great player in direct football. I like players who can keep the ball. So a midfielder with 70% pass completion is never going to be a player I enjoy watching. I guess it’s just a preference thing. Bruno has had more poor performances than good performances this season in my opinion, but his numbers on the goals & assists are great, so fair play to him.
Yeah, fair enough. I was brought up on the original Ferguson style of counter attacking / risk taking football and didn't like Queiroz when he was originally brought in due to the boring nature (in my opinion) of the style.

Mount is a good player, but to take Fernandes out of this team would be crazy until we've built up in other areas. Fernandes' leadership alone is worth it - I haven't seen anything like his drive for a long time.

Red Star One

Bruno, Greenwood, Luke Shaw.

Maybe Pogba (mostly because they have Kante) or maybe even Maguire. But never for the price they cost.
No way they take Shaw over Chilwell at this moment. IMO Bruno and Cavani make first XI, Pogba probably too, Rashford and Greenwood 50-50 for the spot.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Kante walks into Utds side, quite easily. Infact he walks into most sides around Europe.

I think James tops AWB. Rudiger over Lindelof. Think Mount would have a shout aswell