Who's No. 1? Messi or Maradona? (No Pele or Ronaldo)

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
It's scary that a coked up, smoking drinking Maradona can still equal or even better a sober, fit, healthy Messi with a club built around him.
Can you imagine peak Messi on Cocaine though? We would have a billion goals by now.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi. I’ve watched games from Pele/Maradona on the FIFA website (free for anyone who would like to). Not nearly as impressive as their legendary status is made out to be.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
Pele, Cruyff, then a gap. They were truly transformative players, playing in a way that wouldn't be normal until ten years later. Then Maradona, and another gap. And then everyone else, in which ever order you like, and it's fair if Messi/Ronaldo are joint fourth.

But Maradona is forever tainted to me by that goal. Even amongst Australians and Americans who know nothing of the sport, the one thing they know is handball. It's the number one rule of the game, that everyone understands. Lance Armstrong doped, but doping was common; he didn't catch a ride. Luis Suarez bit someone (twice) but while it should have been unforgivable, it didn't change the outcome of matches, or violate the fundamental rules of the game. Maradona did. The worst piece of cheating against the fundamental concept of the sport I've ever seen.

P.S. His other goal in that match was simply sublime, and it's appalling that I can't get Eusebio into the top 5, much less Bergkamp.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Maradona's Argentina was much weaker so his win was more impressive. The current Argentina is pretty stacked, and di Maria alone is a top 10 player. Over their careers it's obvious though.
:lol: Much weaker

Di Maria is not top 10 and missed 2 matches and only played 8 minutes in another one. He’s a great player no doubt, but without Messi Argentina don’t even get out of the group stage.

GinobiliTheGOAT

People dismiss Pele as playing in a stacked team, yet after he retired Brazil spent 24 years without the WC and they weren't winning anything before him.
Well they also won a world cup in 62 without pele. Garrincha was a better dribbler and passer than pele. Pele is incredible, but that Brazil team was beyond stacked. Garrincha also retired before pele and they stopped winning world cups after Garrincha retired.

red.knight

I think it's safe to say Messi has finished his Journey football wise, i dont count his Miami time as anything but semi retirement.

I think personally he has eclipsed Maradona. The only think Diego has over Messi is he's done it with Napoli.

7 Ballon d'Or which could easilly have been deserved at least 12 of not for being born in the same era as Ronaldo.

So. 1. Messi 2. Maradona
Messi is favorite to win his eighth Ballon d'Or.

bakalhau

Giving some context, Cristiano is my favorite player ever. Unfortunately, I can't say I watched Maradona live. I've gone through my fair share of videos on Youtube and TV on Maradona, and clearly he had something special about his football, as well.

With that said, and since it's purely personal opinion, I just can't see any angle where Messi isn't comfortably the best over Maradona, even if Messi had never won the world cup last December. At least equally (if not more) brilliant than Maradona, with the added longevity and consistency.

FriedClams

Pele, Cruyff, then a gap. They were truly transformative players, playing in a way that wouldn't be normal until ten years later. Then Maradona, and another gap. And then everyone else, in which ever order you like, and it's fair if Messi/Ronaldo are joint fourth.

But Maradona is forever tainted to me by that goal. Even amongst Australians and Americans who know nothing of the sport, the one thing they know is handball. It's the number one rule of the game, that everyone understands. Lance Armstrong doped, but doping was common; he didn't catch a ride. Luis Suarez bit someone (twice) but while it should have been unforgivable, it didn't change the outcome of matches, or violate the fundamental rules of the game. Maradona did. The worst piece of cheating against the fundamental concept of the sport I've ever seen.

P.S. His other goal in that match was simply sublime, and it's appalling that I can't get Eusebio into the top 5, much less Bergkamp.
You are entitled to your opinions, until you start trying to get Dennis bergkamp into a discussion for best ever player.

colombianmancunian

Messi is way better than that drug addict communist shit. Way better career at club level, more individual accolades and tied at NT level.

Also Messi is a good person who don’t do drugs, don’t support dictatorial regimes such as Cuba and Venezuela, and doesn’t hit women. Maradona was a worthless human being. Messi also didn’t cheat to score goals such as that dreadful “Mano De Dios”

For me the top 5 list is:

Messi
Pele
CR7
The coccaine sucker
Platini (albeit went to be a corrupt uefa president)

Last edited:

Irwin99

I never watched Maradona play but those goals against Belgium and England are incredible, nice assist in the final too.

Find it cool that they both had a similar (ish) record of ten goal involvements in their world cup winning teams. I think Maradona had 5 goals and 5 assists, Messi 7 goals and 3 assists.

RedDevilRoshi

Messi for what he he has achieved at club level, records, awards etc, certainly undisputed and I don’t think I’ll see anyone come close to achieving all those sort of feats in my lifetime ever again.

But the way Maradona played whilst being a drugs addict is just nothing other than incredible. Absolute magnificent footballer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Objectively speaking it's messi, has to be after Qatar.

Still to me Maradona's peak has not been eclipsed.

Theonas

Scout
Maradona's Argentina was much weaker so his win was more impressive. The current Argentina is pretty stacked, and di Maria alone is a top 10 player. Over their careers it's obvious though.
Stacked? Their goalie couldn't make it at a top team in Arsenal and is playing mid table. Their CB pairing was a dude who wasn't rated that highly in his peak for City, let alone now when he is 35 his level is the Portuguese league. The other one plays for the meme defence of the league. The midfielders were talented youngsters who just got their big move after the WC and the jury is still out on them but they certainly haven't shown anything yet in their club career. The full backs: Tagliafico never played outside Holland or France in Europe and he is 30 whereas the other one had one season at the top level at Atlético. Apart from Messi, their only established players were Di Maria and Lautaro who barely got a kick because he was mediocre. In what universe can this be called a stacked squad?

Josh 76

Never watched Maradona. But when people discuss him it’s mostly his achievements in the 1986 World Cup that are mentioned. Even club career wise, I think his peak was the 1986-87 Serie A victory. Even then, I don’t think I’ve seen too many clips of him in club games - most of his story and narrative seems to be centered around that Argentina World Cup win.

Don’t get me wrong, he was a supremely talented footballer. But l think he’s a level below Messi if we take their whole career into account. Maybe if his off-field antics hadn’t derailed his career, the conversation would be different as I think talent-wise they are quite close.
Maradona was tearing up South American football in his Teens. Just to put a perspective on this. The Argentina 1978 World Cup wining team had all their players from the Argentina league. (Apart from Kempis). This never gets mentioned.

Maradona's peak years was 1984-1986. He was on another level. Because he didn't win anything in those years, again it's over looked. 1986-1990 was the years he was wining the trophies.
1986 World Cup,
1987 Seria A
1988 UEFA cup (this was almost like wining the CL as the top 2 and 3 teams qualified for the competition)
1989 Seria A

Maradona was more than just the 1986 World Cup and Napoli's Title wins. He played his football at a time when the football pitches were mud baths and the tackling was brutal. Maradona was fouled 23 times in the 1982 World Cup v Italy by Gentile. He was booked once.

Messi maybe the Goat, but Maradona will always be god!