Who's on your Mount Rushmore in Football?

Darkhorsez

Hard to separate some of the GOATs, so justifying one over the other would be annoying. Taking the easy way out by making a position-based selection.

Forward: Pelé — Cruyff, Di Stéfano, Ronaldo, Messi all have a strong claim but there's only one O Rei de Football — and he'll probably always be the greatest.
Midfielder: Diego Maradona — convincingly beats off competition from Platini, Rijkaard, Xavi, Zico and co.
Defender: Franz Beckenbauer — Baresi was a better defender and Maldini had a great profile, but neither can match Beckenbauer's stature.
Goalkeeper: Lev Yashin — Buffon is a superior keeper, but Yashin was an icon and contributed more the position in terms of long-term implications (from Schmeichel to Neuer).

:lol:
Classy post. Hard to argue against it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Beckham has to be one. Not the greatest sure but broke the boundaries like Georgie Best.

Best has to be there too.

Cantona too.

Okay I’m biased.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Managers:

Sir Alex. Jock Stein. Lobanovsky. Michels.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cruyff and Beckenbaeur should be on there. Iconic players and Cruyff also gave Football so much as a visionary especially when he was a manager.

billybee99

I always laugh at these... when they picked four presidents for the real Mount Rushmore in 1925, Coolidge was the 30th president of the US... well, 29th, really, because Cleveland had two terms with Harrison in between. That means they picked 24% of the presidents available.

So pick your top 24% of all players... not the top 4.
Remind me to never let you do my taxes. Jesus. That's some interesting mathematics. 4 out of 29 (or 30) equals 24%?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maradona, Pele, Messi, Beckenbauer. I'd add Cruyff to the big 5 list.

They're all unique players for their eras. Maybe there should be a player representing the era between Pele and Beckenbauer, but I'm not sure whom.

Last edited:

Gator Nate

I don't know american history very well but 4 is not 24% of 29. If thats not what you meant your post is even more of a mess than i initially suspected :lol:
Remind me to never let you do my taxes. Jesus. That's some interesting mathematics. 4 out of 29 (or 30) equals 24%?
:lol: 14%! Late night fat-finger. Thanks for calling me out on that :lol:

Web of Bissaka

From Wiki,
"The four presidents were chosen, respectively, to represent the birth, the growth, the development, and the preservation of the United States."

Which 4 represent the birth, the growth, the development, and the preservation of football?

I'm United bias, so Busby and Ferguson. Then Cruyff and Beckenbauer.
Personally that's my Mount Rushmore.

---

On a more honest general football assessment (no order) -- Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Beckenbauer.

I think the four icons have the biggest impact on football historical developments and up to now, they still have lasting impacts.
  • Pele ~ brazil football, goals galore, skills, star power.
  • Maradona ~ dribbles, hand of god, controversies, "one-man army".
  • Cruyff ~ total football, cruyff turn, visions affects worldwide.
  • Beckenbauer ~ libero, german football, defending, leadership, dominance.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lee Bradbury, Roque Santa Cruz, Jó and Sun Jihai (the later to attract our 6000000000000000 chinesse fans to come see.)

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Pele, Maradona and Messi are ahead of everyone else.

The last spot is between Cruyff and Zidane for me. Zidane is the more recent choice and Cruyff is the idealistic one.