Whose career would you rather have had? Messi or Zidane

Angelinho

Meh, neither of them has won the South Bucks Inter-Schools U15 Challenge Cup, so I wouldn't swap careers with either of these losers.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Counting the managerial career, Zidane has had a far better footballing career. Ballon d'Ors, Euros, World Cup, back to back to back CLs, he's got it all. Messi has got a pretty poor international career, and most probably won't have a managerial career either.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Jimmy_Bond

Counting the managerial career, Zidane has had a far better footballing career. Ballon d'Ors, Euros, World Cup, back to back to back CLs, he's got it all. Messi has got a pretty poor international career, and most probably no managerial career.
"Zidane has had by far the better footballing career."

That a man considered the greatest player of all time? Do you realise how absurd that statement is?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
That a man considered the greatest player of all time? Do you realise how absurd that statement is?
We're talkng about careers, not about skill.

Messi has done feck all with his national team, therefor it's not even close.

Zidane by far.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
"Zidane has had by far the better footballing career."

Footballing career = Playing for 1)Club + 2)Country + 3)Managing

Zidane has been far superior in 2 out of 3.

Jimmy_Bond

Ah my bad, didn't pay attention

There's this from 2011 https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/futbol/cambiaria-todo-por-ganar-con-la-seleccion-nid1385947/amp

In general, whenever the question popped up or he spoke about it throughout the years his answer has always remained the same
No, the reality is many years ago, before he had won numerous titles, he used to say he'd swap them for a World Cup. In the most recent one, he only says he would swap his individual honours for a World cup.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi. He earns much more money in his career than Zidane, and won more trophies and individual awards too. So its easy choice.
But sure one could argue Zidane has easily far better international career. But feck it, country don't pay you off your bills.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, the reality is many years ago, before he had won numerous titles, he used to say he'd swap them for a World Cup. In the most recent one, he only says he would swap his individual honours for a World cup.
Because he was asked about that specifically

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We're talkng about careers, not about skill.

Messi has done feck all with his national team, therefor it's not even close.

Zidane by far.
Career is not just how many team trophies you win. Nobody remembers Nicky Butt despite what he's won for his club. Individual trophies, records, great goals and all counts as well.

BlackShark_80

Still means even Messi himself acknowledge WC as the biggest trophy for him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bitter Madrid fans.
It's amazing, the question is subjective and the answers aren't really debatable but somehow you pick fights with others people opinions. If you rather have Messi's career perfect but not everyone cares about the same things.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Career is not just how many team trophies you win. Nobody remembers Nicky Butt despite what he's won for his club. Individual trophies, records, great goals and all counts as well.
I'm sure no one remembers Zidane scoring in champions league and world cup finals either.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah i mean, nobody remembers Zinedine Zidane :lol::lol::lol:

He's only the guy half the current pros grew up idolizing :lol:

Denis79

I'm sure no one remembers Zidane scoring in champions league and world cup finals either.
I do, I'll never forget that volley in the CL final. World cup was 2 headers if I remember correctly.

Jimmy_Bond

It's amazing, the question is subjective and the answers aren't really debatable but somehow you pick fights with others people opinions. If you rather have Messi's career perfect but not everyone cares about the same things.
Oh go away. You know plenty about "picking fights."

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: Thanks, some people just love to argue this way I think.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh go away. You know plenty about "picking fights."
I do, on things that are debatable. Here your opinion is as valid as anyone's because it only concerns you, it's entirely subjective.

Gehrman

Point being that I don't think anyone would argue that Javier Hernandez had a greater career than Alan Shearer, because Hernandez has won 1 more PL title than him. Hernandez is remembered as a super subtitute while Alan Shearer is remembered as one the greatest PL strikers of all time.

Gehrman

Huh? You said great goals count aswell and I gave you a few of Zidane's goals that probably more people remember than the best ones Messi scored.
I agree with you that Zidane's goals are iconic and historical. I'd say that on club level though Messi's are just as good, like his solo goal vs the entire Real madrid defense in the semi final.

BlackShark_80

Zidane is overrated as feck.

Great player mind you but it's leonel messi. He will be remembered better than pele and maradona when he hangs his boots
Nope, maybe only remembered by Cules and younger fans but for older fans and especially Argentinian Fans definitely not. As long as Messi hasn't won anything at NT, Pele and Maradona are still remembered better than Messi.

Sterling Archer

Fifty years from now, some won't even remember Zidane's name. Messi will be remembered for the next one hundred years. In fact, it will become one of those trick questions - which legend in the game never won an international tournament? And many will not realize it's Messi.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
In terms of trophies and ability of course Messi is above Zidane but you cannot underestimate what the 1998 WC win did for France and a huge part of the population, it goes way beyond the sport. Plus he has headbutting ability that Messi will never reach :smirk:

ariveded

Zidane is the greatest in football today. If you include both his managerial and player career, there is nobody like him today or ever.

Jimmy_Bond

How? I didn't judge your opinion or called you bitter because you expressed a different one.
You're a hypocrite for calling me out for "picking out fights" and then admitting that you do the same.

Would you agree that Zidane has had a "far superior career" to Messi, as one of those Madrid fans said?

Traub

Better question is which player has a better trophy haul

Water Melon

Zidane's. Has won each and every title on club and national level. Has had a fantastic management career too. Messi indidually is the better player, sure. However, Zidane has really won it all both as a player and a manager.

JPRouve

Scout
You're a hypocrite for calling me out for "picking out fights" and then admitting that you do the same.

Would you agree that Zidane has had a "far superior career" to Messi, as one of those Madrid fans said?
Well in that context I'm not an hypocrite since I didn't call you out for picking fight, I simply don't understand how you can pick fights regarding a question that is personal, there is no good or bad answer. If it was a matter of fact or something that wasn't personal, I wouldn't be amazed by your response.
Also the poster said that Zidane has been far superior in two aspects of his career, at international level and as a manager which isn't really up for debate since Messi won nothing at international level and hasn't managed yet.

CosmoKramer

Supports
FC Barcelona
Messi for me. I know, I'm biased since I'm a Barcelona fan, but I have watched his career since the beginnings and at 19-20 he was already one of the best players in the world with performances such as a hat-trick against Real Madrid, the goal that imitates Maradona's the most against Getafe and numerous instances of embarrassing world class players and legends like Roberto Carlos, Cannavaro, Robben etc. The guy was a one man army as a freaking teenager. Ronaldinho in his pomp admitted that he is not even the best player at Barcelona, Messi is. Sure, you could argue that he was modest and propped a youngin', but not a year later and Messi was already better than Ronaldinho without question, so it wasn't that far from the truth. I can just imagine barely having the legal drinking age and completely demolishing world class players left, right and center. I am beyond happy when I manage to dribble one player in my 5 a side Sunday kickabout with my mates, nevermind going full throttle through world class defenders from the half way line over and over again. :lol:

And the guy has continued to do this year in, year out for the next 10-15 years. There is almost nothing Messi can't do with a ball at his feet so for me it's an easy choice. At the end of the day football is a team sport so winning titles depends on so many more factors, that one sole player can control so much. That's not even mentioning Messi's trophy cabinet is nothing to sneeze at.

Disclaimer, I'm not patriotic so maybe it weighs a bit against what it means to win a trophy for my country. I couldn't care less if my country wins a World Cup or gets trashed 5-0 against Andorra. It's all the same to me, so maybe I can't appreciate the value people put on WC. This also applies to individual sports. There are many instances when I root for the opponents of my countryman. If I don't like the sportsmans of my country then they could be GOATS of their respective sports and I wouldn't give a feck.

Reactions: Invictus