Why are England's fans so disrespectful of their greatest coach of all time?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Hhaaha. Not even better than Robson in 1990, or Venables in 1996. At least Venables was knocked out by Germany.

Southgate barely survived Denmark some days ago. And England would have been massacred by France in the 2018 final. (Easily 3-0 or 4-1). At least we were spared from witnessing that, thankfully.

RedStarUnited

Because he should have tried to win this final. Coming into this tournament, he said we learned from the world cup defeat. We didnt learn shite, the final was eerily similar to the semi in 2018. England score first and do nothing, the oposition pass us into submission and equalise. The opposition tried to get a winner whilst Southgate continues to hang on.

Eli Zee

I think he's really just an average coach/manager. A better manager could've won this tournament easily

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hhaaha. Not even better than Robson in 1990, or Venables in 1996. At least Venables was knocked out by Germany.

Southgate barely survived Denmark some days ago. And England would have been massacred by France in the 2018 final. (Easily 3-0 or 4-1). At least we were spared from witnessing that, thankfully.
Here we see what I mean. You praise Venables for losing to Germany when Southgate actually beat them.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Southgate is a very good manager on paper but the results relative to talent and opposition leave something to be desired. While Italy are very good side they were weaker in nearly area compared to England nor did they outclass England, their goal was the result of poor defending.

England lost the gane due to poor game management which Southgate has to take the responsibility for. Sven Göran Eriksen might have done better had he had more favourable draws and better luck (Rooney not getting injured, Campbell's goal not getting ruled out, Seaman not having a brain fart).

Gareth came in at a low moment for England and to his credit has picked things up but he now finds himself with a golden generation but he seems unable to take advantage.

On paper Mourinho is one of United's best managers but would most United fans ever think of him as such? Probably not.

Blood Mage

England have a great squad right now with lots of exciting attacking options. A better manager would have comfortably won the Euros this year after France's shock exit as England easily had the 2nd best squad in the tournament behind France. A better manager would have also created a system that allowed him to utilise Sancho and Grealish, England's two most talented players.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Against the forum rules.
I can't wait until one of Wales, Scotland, Ireland or NI wins something though. I mean I'm sure it will be soon right?

Can take the pressure off England a bit with their sole World Cup. Bring some parity.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
England have a great squad right now with lots of exciting attacking options. A better manager would have comfortably won the Euros this year after France's shock exit as England easily had the 2nd best squad in the tournament behind France. A better manager would have also created a system that allowed him to utilise Sancho and Grealish, England's two most talented players.
England had not won an EC knockout game before the tournament, yet you demand a comfortable tournament win. Southgate almost made it come home twice in a row, he deserves better.

TheLiverBird

I think he's really just an average coach/manager. A better manager could've won this tournament easily
Just like better managers achieved more with our previous Golden Generation

oh wait, no they didn’t :lol: :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody hates the man, and he's done some great things for the team.

At the same time though it's the most talented side we've had in 20 years, and people would like to see more than sitting back with 10 men behind the ball trying to defend a 1-0 lead for 65 minutes.

He may have got us to the final, but he lost the final for us.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
From an outsider, Southgate is pretty much the most boring manager you could possibly have. However, he is very effective in the way he sets out his team.

As seen against Italy though, it doesn’t suit every game and he really struggles with a Plan B. He leaves substitutions far too late and despite tiring legs in opposition teams, he is far too cautious to bring on attacking players. Rashford for Mount was an easy change early into the final. I’m a Mason Mount fan but that’s probably the worst I’ve seen him play.

Grealish just didn’t get anywhere near enough opportunities because he’s ‘too attacking’ - neither did Rashford or Sancho.

If England made any effort to press Italy and dominate possession, instead of retreating into submissive position all game, they’re have been far more dangerous.

TheReligion

Abusive
England had not won an EC knockout game before the tournament, yet you demand a comfortable tournament win. Southgate almost made it come home twice in a row, he deserves better.
It's funny how much of a troll you've become yet you cried at the first opportunity to the mods in the Bundesliga thread when you didn't like the tone and claimed German posters were being mistreated. The irony. :lol:

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Knocking Germany out with Southgate hindering us and getting Sancho at an absolute steal has broke @do.ob . Turned him into a wum quicker than Sterling turned Kimmich.
Honestly, knocking out that German side was rather a duty than an achievement or in other words said, it would have been a surprise if Germany had advanced.
They lost for of them last 10 games (England, France, Macedonia and Spain, 1:11 goal difference), 2 draws (Hungary and Denmark) and won 4 (Iceland, Rumania, Latvia and Portugal, 15:3 goal difference). This German side hasn't been a contender from 2017.
It's always important to not look at the name of the opposite site, rather than what they are able to perform at the moment.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are Dortmund fans so bitter about losing Sancho that starting WUM threads is their form of release?

Yes, they are.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Did @do.ob spend hours upon hours in the Sancho thread trying to convince us Dortmund wouldn't sell?

Yes, he did.

Did @do.ob perform a sudden disappearing act when Sancho Day arrived?

Yes, he did.

Did @do.ob suddenly reappear when an opportunity arrived to laugh at the English?

Yes, he did.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Did @do.ob spend hours upon hours in the Sancho thread trying to convince us Dortmund wouldn't sell?

Yes, he did.

Did @do.ob perform a sudden disappearing act when Sancho Day arrived?

Yes, he did.

Did @do.ob suddenly reappear when an opportunity arrived to laugh at the English?

Yes, he did.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong on three counts. Back then I said he wouldn't be sold that window after the deadline passed. He didn't.
And upon doing some reflecting after the window closed I decided that trying to give perspective to muppets was a futile endevour, so I decided to stay away from low quality discussions like that.

Now the more interesting question is why would you make up these fantasies, to attack a poster for giving Sir Garteth Southgate the respect his historic achievements merit. It's okay if you hate the man, but why try to derail this discussion?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm sorry, but you are wrong on three counts. Back then I said he wouldn't be sold that window after the deadline passed. He didn't.
And upon doing some reflecting after the window closed I decided that trying to give perspective to muppets was a futile endevour, so I decided to stay away from low quality discussions like that.

Now the more interesting question is why would you make up these fantasies, to attack a poster for giving Sir Garteth Southgate the respect his historic achievements merit. It's okay if you hate the man, but why try to derail this discussion?
Low quality discussions? The absolute arrogance of that comment :lol:

I don't hate anyone, mate. Least of a man like Gareth Southgate who put everything he had into leading his country forward. He's a good man, and that will not change regardless of his achievements in the England hot seat. He is tactically limited, though. You'll find very few England fans who would disagree with that assessment.

Did you pick out and wear a nice hat to celebrate Sancho Day? If so, would you mind posting a pic of you wearing it with a newspaper clearly displaying the date? I'll believe you wasn't bitter about his transfer then :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Low quality discussions? The absolute arrogance of that comment :lol:

I don't hate anyone, mate. Least of a man like Gareth Southgate who put everything he had into leading his country forward. He's a good man, and that will never change regardless of his achievements in the England hot seat. He is tactically limited, though. You'll find very few England who would disagree with that assessment.

Did you pick out and wear a nice hat to celebrate Sancho Day? If so, would you mind posting a pic of you wearing it with a newspaper clearly displaying the date? I'll believe you wasn't bitter about his transfer then :)
You see, this desperation for adversity: booing anthems, trying to make everything about the war and people supposedly being bitter, that's kinda specific to English culture. I was happy that Sancho stayed another year and that he played his part in salvaging a bad season into a happy ending with a cup to boot. I'm thankful for his service and now I'm excited about what the new season brings.

Last edited:

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
Banter aside, it would be helpful for you to see Southgate as a founder of a new kind of English national team. I think the team spirit was there, the effort was there and another manager will surly win something with them based on Southgates foundations. Like van Gaal at Bayern or Klinsmann in the German national team.

on the other hand...

Least of a man like Gareth Southgate who put everything he had into leading his country forward.
He is just some guy trying to win a silver plated cup with a bunch of teenage millionaires in a sports game. Sorry to bring it to you, but it won't help you to get better fishing rights from france.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Banter aside, it would be helpful for you to see Southgate as a founder of a new kind of English national team. I think the team spirit was there, the effort was there and another manager will surly win something with them based on Southgates foundations. Like van Gaal at Bayern or Klinsmann in the German national team.

on the other hand...

He is just some guy trying to win a silver plated cup with a bunch of teenage millionaires in a sports game. Sorry to bring it to you, but it won't help you to get better fishing rights from france.
As long as it doesn't hinder my chances of getting better fishing rights in Luxemburg, then it doesn't affect me.

I mean, who really cares about getting better fishing rights from France?

dinostar77

Thought Venables was well-respected during his time as national team manager.
Venables was a very good national manager. Shame he wasnt in charge of getting us at the world cup. Hoddle was good as well. As national team managers i think both did a better job than capello and sven.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Personally I like Gareth Gates. Thought he was better than Will Young

Laurencio

No one ever achieved what Southgate achieved: back to back semi and final. Yet most of what I read is hate for the man. Are English fans acting entitled?
Don't mistake passion for hate. English fans are passionate about the national team again, and Southgate is very much responsible for that. This new generation of players is genuinely exciting, most fans are impatient to see them blossom into the stars they will one day become - and want England to play that way now.

The team is so close to actually being good that we watched the the final essentially lost because England surrendered the ball to Italy for too much of the game. Italy dominated possession largely because England tried to hang on to a 1 goal lead, that is huge. The game was further riddled with strange choices in terms of substitutions and the most bizarre penalty shoot out choices in recent memory.

If anything it's a credit to "project Southgate" and how extraordinarily successful he has been. Fans genuinely see actual potential to win tournaments and are naturally disappointed and upset to have lost the Euros because of what seems to be tactical managerial errors. He is brilliant, but still makes stupid tactical mistakes, and that is very frustrating when you are so close to success.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
No one ever achieved what Southgate achieved: back to back semi and final. Yet most of what I read is hate for the man. Are English fans acting entitled?
Southgate is a great man-manager, but has poor tournament management.

Will support him all the way