Why are Ex United Players Such Bad Managers?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Is it because the "United Way" philosophy is such a bad footballing philosophy? I can't think of an ex United player that has been a great manager. Which ex or current United player has a promising future in management?

Marcus

Is it because the "United Way" philosophy is such a bad footballing philosophy? I can't think of an ex United player that has been a great manager. Which ex or current United player has a promising future in management?
Because the United way was personality-based. Basically, Sir Alex.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Most of the best managers are usually players who have had very modest careers.

Top players who became top managers are pretty rare.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hughes, Bruce, and Blanc all made good managers. Not United level, but to be fair there are infinitesimally few managers of the caliber required to manage us.

Ixion

Most of the best managers weren't top level players. Just because someone played in a successful side it doesn't mean they're a great manager.

Idxomer

Because Fergie is the most unique manager in football history and when you try to emulate him, you're bound to miss most what made him great.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Because most managers are bad managers. How many managers in the world would be considered good at Man Utd? Five to ten? Probably less?

predator

Youth NITK
I'm sick of hearing Neville and Keane going on about spirit and playing like a 'united player'. Times have fecking changed. The SAF era was special. The tactics and coaching is miles behind Klopp, Pep and Tuchel.

I read that Chelsea, under Tuchel, train with size one balls, use different colour bibs and their players use code words when playing - as confirmed by an opposition player. I bet my life Klopp does similar things and Pep will have some very intricate training sessions.

Can you imagine what Keane, Ole, Neville etc dish up on a training field?
"Spirit
DNA
Passion
Get stuck in
You're playing for Manchester United"

Who gives a feck if we are being outplayed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I remember someone suggest that top players often have difficulties to relate with less talented players, they don't necessarily understand what make them special and can't teach it. An example that I have heard was Henry making fun of his players at Monaco because they couldn't do things that he was able to easily do.

RUCK4444

Who are you comparing them to, Poch? :smirk:

spiriticon

Ferguson himself wasn't a tactical genius. He got results through man-management, motivation, charisma and an immense reading of the flow of the game. His tactics were 4-4-2 until he got done in Europe and hired modern coaches to come in and help to develop the tactical side of his team in order to compete better.

His methods are one in a million. You can't emulate his style and do it as well as he does unless you ARE him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because SAF wasn't the most tactical manager in the world even though he was great in his own way.

You look at how Giggs and Rooney talked about Van Gaal when he comes here and how much they valued learning his tactics.

Then you look at a club like Barcelona and Pep as an ex player he has been managed by the influence of so many different tactics from total football from having to play the strict stuff of Van Gaal to the Spanish tactical influence etc to ultimately being able to make his own tactics up.

Houdini

If what we have now is the United way, then I don't want it. Move on.

tomaldinho1

SAF wasn't a tactical genious, his charisma isn't inheritable.
He was very good initially, plus obviously the charisma and then had enough humility to move more and more hands off. Basically the opposite of Mou, who now just looks so outdated because he won’t give up control and football has moved on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because you can't teach someone how to become a good manager. You either are or you aren't. Trying to copy someone you played under or worked with doesn't work, because quite frankly, you aren't them. You don't think of the same things, you make different decisions, what you think was the reason of success is probably not the reason at all and it was misunderstood. There is so much involved in being a good manager that I'm willing to say that how they were as players is almost entirely irrelevant. Same with who they worked under as coaches or any reviews they got (like Arteta). It's irrelevant to actually being a good manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was very good initially, plus obviously the charisma and then had enough humility to move more and more hands off. Basically the opposite of Mou, who now just looks so outdated because he won’t give up control and football has moved on.
He wasn't so bad, but it's not something he can pass down. Unlike Rinus Michel who's a devout tactician who can pass down his prowess, SAF prowess is his charisma, and god knows what else but it certainly isn't tactical.

Goku1983

This has always baffled me theybplayed undsr Fergie and leaened what ? Nothing it seems its a real mystery

tomaldinho1

He wasn't so bad, but it's not something he can pass down. Unlike Rinus Michel who's a devout tactician who can pass down his prowess, SAF prowess is his charisma, and god knows what else but it certainly isn't tactical.
I think there’s a balance. Michel was a fanatic and his disciples still remain in top teams but he wasn’t that amazing at Barca (he laid the foundations for Cruyff, LVG, Pep etc.) success was all Netherlands based domestically and nationally. but SAF won more. Obviously he’s a great but you don’t have to be an absolute tactical genius, more importantly you need to be able to coach your ideas into your players.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think there’s a balance. Michel was a fanatic and his disciples still remain in top teams but he wasn’t that amazing at Barca (he laid the foundations for Cruyff, LVG, Pep etc.) success was all Netherlands based domestically and nationally. but SAF won more. Obviously he’s a great but you don’t have to be an absolute tactical genius, more importantly you need to be able to coach your ideas into your players.
They're both I think extreme polarities, and both works to be fair. You don't have to be a tactical genius to win trophies, but SAF man management was a genius by his own rights.

The stupidity is us, for thinking that all SAF ever was, was a man from scotland who's cut from the same cloth as David Moyes. We, United fans failed to really appreciate what a genius SAF was and thinking any jack and joes who's been his players can easily replicate the man.

Flytan

It's exactly the same in the NFL for Bill Belichick. Goat coach but all his disciples suck. I'm convinced it's because people who learn under them just try to copy them instead of forging their own path and just using the knowledge learned.from under them

tomaldinho1

They're both I think extreme polarities, and both works to be fair. You don't have to be a tactical genius to win trophies, but SAF man management was a genius by his own rights.

The stupidity is us, for thinking that all SAF ever was, was a man from scotland who's cut from the same cloth as David Moyes. We, United fans failed to really appreciate what a genius SAF was and thinking any jack and joes who's been his players can easily replicate the man.
Yep that was the worst succession planning ever. Basically no one was available and Moyes was Scottish and a good mate - that kind of sentimental and clique thinking is why we’re in our current mess.