Why are the Russians in Irish airspace?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Testing whether Britain is still committed to defending its defenceless little brother. We scrambled jets, so the Irish can relax for now.

binary bot
fascinating how old some aircraft are, or at least their design

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I wonder are they having ideas of taking advantage right now
If Russia and China don't both get affected by this badly while Europe, U.K and America are crippled, I'll proudly be donning my tinfoil hat...

This type of chaos and Economic meltdown is exactly what both countries need to happen to EU, UK and U.S. There's only so far that coincidences can be believed for me personally.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
With yet another oil crisis on our hands, Putin is actively looking at alternative energy sources.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
fascinating how old some aircraft are, or at least their design
Yes isn't it? I remember when I was young being told HMS Victory was 40 years old at Trafalgar, and it seemed unbelievable given the then pace of technological advance. And yet now we still have B52s in action, twice as old as their crews.

harms

Staff
Just another muscle move that's very typical for his intimidation foreign policy. I'm a bit surprised that it's Ireland, but I guess any NATO member works?

It's quite hard to reach Ireland from Russia without flying through UK's airspace beforehand btw. Sounds weird.

Edit: they're not NATO members, which makes more sense. Trying to unrest a country that's aligned with NATO but is not a member, hence it won't automatically trigger NATO's defensive actions, but will cause them some worry.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Just another muscle move that's very typical for his intimidation foreign policy. I'm a bit surprised that it's Ireland, but I guess any NATO member works?

It's quite hard to reach Ireland from Russia without flying through UK's airspace beforehand btw. Sounds weird.
I don't think Ireland's in Nato is it?

DoomSlayer

I wonder why it's never reported as much when NATO planes do stuff like that. :lol: Actually, I don't, I know the reason for it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Testing whether Britain is still committed to defending its defenceless little brother. We scrambled jets, so the Irish can relax for now.
I would have said Scotland was our brother, England our mother's semi-abusive boyfriend. Wales are just Wales.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
I don't think Ireland's in Nato is it?
Yeah, I've added an edit there. Makes more sense. And it the video linked in the article the guy says that those planes routinely fly into UK/Scotland etc. airspaces and had done so since the 50's, as those intimidation tactics were the very reason they were built for. For that and for dropping nukes, of course.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah, I've added an edit there. Makes more sense. And it the video linked in the article the guy says that those planes routinely fly into UK/Scotland etc. airspaces and had done so since the 50's, as those intimidation tactics were the very reason they were built for. For that and for dropping nukes, of course.
Aye, there's no point having the aircraft unless you know they can still actually fly to where they were designed to fly to. It's no big deal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sometimes they fly near french coasts too and are met by the french air force. They are just wumming.

Russia are always flying into NATO airspace just to test response times etc. We do it to them too.

stevoc

Russia are always flying into NATO airspace just to test response times etc. We do it to them too.
So basically like a grown up international game of knock the door and run away then.

Skills

Snitch
So what happens if the RAF had shot them down in Irish airspace? It would be an aggressive move, but they shouldn't have been there in the first place?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
So what happens if the RAF had shot them down in Irish airspace? It would be an aggressive move, but they shouldn't have been there in the first place?
Major international incident with Russia producing dodgy GPS 'evidence' that the Russian aircraft were not within ROI airspace at the time of the incident. As with the time that Turkey shot down one of their planes, there'd likely be no military response from Russia, because Coronavirus or not, America and Trump would still be up for WW3 and nuclear armageddon and it just wouldn't be worth it. We'd see an increase in Russian bombers buzzing UK airspace and all kinds of piss and wind from Putin.

But I doubt it would escalate to full scale war.

Regardless, the RAF wouldn't risk it.

Foxbatt

If you read it properly you would understand that they did not violate Irish Airspace. This is called FIR or flight information region which is under the control of Ireland. This is international air space. If any non authorised aircraft enters into actual sovereign air space then it's a huge diplomatic incident and the Irish would protest with either the Russian ambassador getting called up or with a diplomatic note.
This is newspapers just trying to make headline news.
Everyone does this to others.

Fener1907

They violated Turkish airspace and got a slap for it. Not a fan of such incidents by any means but allowing it would have set a bad precedent and they'd have surely repeated it.

Not sure that is the way to go for a country as diplomatic as the UK.

Foxbatt

They violated Turkish airspace and got a slap for it. Not a fan of such incidents by any means but allowing it would have set a bad precedent and they'd have surely repeated it.

Not sure that is the way to go for a country as diplomatic as the UK.
They did not violate either Irish or UK airspace. This is the point that I am making. If they did then it would be a huge diplomatic incident.

Fener1907

They did not violate either Irish or UK airspace. This is the point that I am making. If they did then it would be a huge diplomatic incident.
Fair enough, but the "Russian ambassador getting called up or with a diplomatic note" sounds like the diplomatic equivalent of telling somebody they're a naughty boy.

Foxbatt

Fair enough, but the "Russian ambassador getting called up or with a diplomatic note" sounds like the diplomatic equivalent of telling somebody they're a naughty boy.
Sorry if you misunderstood me. I said IF they had violated sovereign air space then the Russian Ambassador would have been pulled up or a diplomatic note would have been sent.
Since they did not violate the sovereign air space, it's only a newspaper headline.

Fener1907

Sorry if you misunderstood me. I said IF they had violated sovereign air space then the Russian Ambassador would have been pulled up or a diplomatic note would have been sent.
Since they did not violate the sovereign air space, it's only a newspaper headline.
I understood you. I'm saying it's soft relative to how serious you made it sound.