Why are we spending so much energy on buying Sancho when so many other areas need addressed?

Foxbatt

I agree with Souness on this. We need to strengthen other areas. I say we need a top class CB and a top class DM. AWB is good as a RB when he is defending. He can be coached to attack.
Sometimes you have to agree with the old players of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley. They knew a thing or two about football. Steve Nicol said Pep messed it up and he is right. You take VVD out of this Liverpool team and they will struggle.
The same way we need to get a world class CB and a DM instead of going after Sancho. Martial, Greenwood and Rashford can play up front for now at least as it's not a priority for now.

MichaelRed

We had the 3rd best defence in the league and looked utterly toothless when one of our forwards was missing through injury. How is our defence a more pressing issue then? Or are you hoping we can play our front 4 for all 60 or so games in the season? You're living in dreamland if you think that's possible. Our GK issue isn't a matter of signing anyone, just about choosing who to use out of our 3 strong options. Fullbacks an issue? AWB just won the most tackles out of every single player in the league and he's already being replaced! Christ. If signing one of the best players in the world, who plays 3 positions with equal success, stinks of a Woodward move then I hope we start getting a lot more Woodward fragrances.

OrcaFat

I agree with Souness on this. We need to strengthen other areas. I say we need a top class CB and a top class DM. AWB is good as a RB when he is defending. He can be coached to attack.
Sometimes you have to agree with the old players of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley. They knew a thing or two about football. Steve Nicol said Pep messed it up and he is right. You take VVD out of this Liverpool team and they will struggle.
The same way we need to get a world class CB and a DM instead of going after Sancho. Martial, Greenwood and Rashford can play up front for now at least as it's not a priority for now.
This is quite profound. We had one of the best defensive records in the league but still looked vulnerable.

For all City’s exhilarating attacking play, they lost a lot of games because of their shaky defence. And as you say VVD is the main reason Liv don’t lose much.

But if we can get Sancho we absolutely should do it. Reason is we don’t create enough chances. Sure, when everyone is fit and in form we look great but it’s not sustainable with the squad we have. We need to add top quality at RW and Sancho is the best option. I am not sure I agree with those who say he can play anywhere across the front 3 or no. 10. To me he is a modern winger albeit a very good, versatile one.

But going back to your point, a world class CB should also be a priority. The energy being spent on getting Sancho is not because anyone thinks we don’t need a CB it is because we can’t turn down the chance to get Sancho. SAF often bought players we didn’t really need - he bought them because they were top class and he seized the chance to get them when they became available.

Delano

If you look at our stats over the years, the majority of our attacks come from the left handside. Making us easier to play against then teams with dual threats.

We have needed a quality right winger since Nani and we should go all out for Sancho to help change the predictability of our team.

Finally, we can't go into the 60 game season with James, Mata, Lingard and Greenwood as our options. We will become toothless from that side if Greenwood gets injured or has to play every single game.

El Jefe

Today's game just proves the OP's point even further.

Ole rightly or wrongly doesn't trust the bench in the slightest. We need more than one player this summer and rather than faffing about with Sancho using up our whole budget we really need 3 or 4 players this summer.