Why are we spending so much energy on buying Sancho when so many other areas need addressed?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If for whatever reason the Sancho deal does fail to materialise I would like to see us signing 2 midfielders, we need a creative midfielder but I think we're crying out for a high energy DM too, Matic isn't going to be able to play every game.

Handré1990

I agree. It's ab absolute must. Shaw did pretty well in that regard and AWB had one or two games where he looked ok going forward. Not enough though. If you look at Bayern and how essential their fullbacks are going forward, there is no comparison.
Yep, and Shaw seemed to be making progress this season tbf, but there’s not a lot of end product, so still not exactly a strong point of his.

bsCallout

We'll get more goals when the team has a better balance. Look at how Liverpool's attack improved when they signed Allison and Van Dijk. I would dearly love us to sign Sancho but not at any cost and it could be argued our attack is already our strongest part of the squad.
Doesn't really check out. Liverpool scored no more than 6 goals more this season than the two before VVD joined.

Our defensive numbers have been great whilst we have always lacked a good balance on our right side when attacking.

Getting a CB doesn't get us more goals and it doesn't vastly improve our already good defensive stats.

Getting Sancho instantly improves our goalscoring abilities and chance creation.

Lindelof was the only CB in the prem to not be dribbled past and Maguire was one of the top CBs aerially. If they iron our the ability to cover eachother, and also not have to worry about AWB trying to attack as we'll have a RW. Our defence will be one of the best in the league.

Our attack will also be one of, if not the best in the league.

In my opinion our focus after Sancho should be a young CDM. Which we could easily get with 2 months left of the window.

Sancho in. A few departures and a talented CDM and we are good to go.

Glorio

It might be that we're looking at other areas, but being a lot more discreet about it. That's what I hope anyway.

We definitely need at least one full back: Ideally a left footed backup for Shaw considering his injury record, then maybe Williams understudies AWB. I simply don't rate TFM.

We also need a DM to cover/challenge Matic. Both Pogba and Bruno are forward thinking players who can play number 8 and 10 positions.

If there is a top class CB out there, then fair enough, if not, I reckon we're Ok there. Lindelof is a lot better than folks give him credit for, and he actually has some pace. If you can match Jamie Vardy in a foot race, pace is not your issue.
If Smalling does leave, the big issue we then have is that our backup CB options have been known to love the treatment table!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho is a world class player in a position of need that would make the biggest immediate difference. Defensively, we had pretty much as good a defensive record as anyone. Attacking wise we were way behind. There's no depth in our attack, nobody to come in for injuries, no competition for places and nobody natural on the right. Sancho gives us a world class player on the right to complete the attack and give excellent balance with Greenwood coming off the bench or rotating for anyone who loses form or gets injured. Nobody else would have that immediate impact. Not to mention he's a 1 time chance to get someone of his level to keep when he's only 20. Nobody else will be close to his level of talent.

laughtersassassin

I would say it's because we haven't owned a right winger for like 8 seasons and because Ole only has 3 forwards he trusts to be on the pitch.

Eli Zee

This to me looks like another Woodward special, signing a big name to please advertisers and sponsors while ignoring clear and obvious deficiencies that are more urgent but much less headline grabbing.
We need another midfielder closer to the level of Pogba and Fernandes than Fred and McTominay, we need a centre back who is not Lindelof/ Smalling / Jones / Rojo and will compliment Maguire to stop the panic every time a player ventures into our area or whips in a cross. The goalkeeping situation also needs addressed. There's a big argument we need better attacking full backs as well.
If we sign Sancho and don't tackle these issues we will end up with the same problems as the last few seasons which would raise questions about how the club is being run.
We've needed a RW for like 7 Years... that's the area that needs the most strengthening. We have an 18 year old / championship player for that position.
Greenwood is amazing but shouldnt be relied on so heavily for RW.

Positions we need to bring strong players in for in order of importance/necessity (my opinion) :

1) RW
2) CDM
3) ST / CB
4) RB / LB / Another attacker

KevinJoh

It is hard to understand how we work on transfers and what is the budget as obviously we take too much time to conduct any business in the off season.

Looks to me at the moment that we have been in serious problem with salaries. We had too many high contracts that did not produce, and even with income we generate it was pretty hard to do business with that. So, what Ole did is remarkable in that area as he managed to sell or offload Alexis (350), Lukaku (200), Young (110), Valencia (100), Rojo (80), Smalling (80), Herrera (75), Darmian (60). Not sure that numbers are right, but should be around those at least. That is 50+ millions per year in wages. Take in mind that Mata, Lingard and Jones with medium high salaries are also on exit door, or close, and that it would not be a big surprise to see De Gea replaced with Henderson. To me it looks like it is sell out of the players on high wages to establish better balanced structure in the club and have more space for new signings.

Regarding squad, it is obvious to me that we have 11 players Ole trust. It is the team playing in the starting lineup for last like 10 games or so. All the other players bar Romero as backup keeper, and probably Williams in some form as backup full back and kid, are not players Ole is willing to play even with 1 or 2 goals up. And he has right to do so as you can't say they did good when given chance. Maybe in some different setup, not chasing too many points, playing every 3 days, it would not look like that, but it is not good for the squad to see half of the squad without any minutes for such a big run.

So, we definitely need in first stage at least one more forward, RW and obviously we are going for Sancho there without backup option. I would not like us to spend all our money for this summer on him. Why? Cause we even more need CB as at the moment we are playing with Maguire and Lindelof every game for 90 minutes. Bailly and Axel maybe can help, but lets see if they can stay fit for 10 games in a row. Mengi is a kid. Jones is probably in the hospital and the only reason why still in the club probably is that he is injured and you can't sell injured player. So, we need fit CB that can at least cover. If we are selling Rojo and Smalling (I don't think they will come back), than that money should be spent on someone who can help 20 times next year.

We need FB that has attacking quality. I think in our attacking play the bigger problem than RW is the fact our full backs are not dangerous at all. There is so much to improve in attacking play of all our FB options, and one addition there would be very helpfull.

No need to start talking about our midfield options. If Matic, Pogba and Bruno all not starting, we are in problems. Fred and McTominay can make a shift, but they are so limited especially in passing forward. Yesterday for example our tactic was to get ball to Pogba who should pass to the hole where Bruno, or Martial would be able to get some space and can receive, turn around and play 4 on 4. Pogba made 10 passes like that or so, but McTominay or Fred are not able to pass that ball once as first of all don't have technique and than confidence to take that pass. Also, Bruno, comparing to Pereira or Lingard as replacement. The gap is so big that our performance will drop too much as soon as one of the first team players is out. Fred can't replace Matic as you need someone who is calm on the ball, and strong enough to help defense and play like thrid CB in the opening phase. Fred can't do it, even if he knows when to drop at CB position (and he doesn't know that).

So, overall, we can say we have 11, reserve GK, a few academy/kids that will maybe get there (Williams, Tuanzebe, Mengi, McTominay, Laird, Garner) and the rest of the squad doesn't help at this level (maybe someone can surprise, but I can't see that at the moment). If we can get another FB, DM, CM, RW it would be much better. It looks like RW cost for those 3 positions all together, and for me it is better to fix 3, than 1.

SwedishFish

Look at the game against FC Copenhagen yesterday, look at all the sluggish draws we had last season. What we very obviously lack is players that can help unlock defenses against teams who park the bus.

Sancho would help as he is capable of scoring and creating assists from the right side which Greenwood and AWB certainly are not.

Sure, we could do with another LB if Shaw's injury problems persist and we could do with CDM to fill in for Matic so that we never have to see Fred with his torrid passing slip in as the third defender in a back three again. We probably could do with better competition at CB for Lindelöf and Maguire as well. But in the end, getting those goals against lesser teams has been a big issue over a long time.

We need quality and competition for places in the squad, if we're not gonna bother with investing with quality then why are we even trying to get top 4 and to get in the Champions League?

We need to get back to our winning ways and whilst buying Sancho wouldn't be the last piece of a big rebuild it would certainly be a big step towards it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We need to get back to our winning ways and whilst buying Sancho wouldn't be the last piece of a big rebuild it would certainly be a big step towards it.
Agreed.

There's no such thing as a guaranteed success when it comes to transfers, big or small. But this is a player we should buy. Simple as.

If we have to sacrifice something (backups or upgrades) in order to do so - we should still do it.

And - why the feck not - let's do what some people absolutely hate and ask: what would Fergie have done?

The answer is bloody obvious.

In Rainbows

I've never been so un-hyped about a player than Sancho.

I feel like he is a bit of a tap in merchant and ultimately Greenwood has covered the weaknesses that we were so dying to to cover on the right hand side.

The only reason I actually want Sancho is because he is this hyped up young british kid and I feel like United should have the best ones at their disposal - if he is so as good as everyone make him out to be.

I feel like it's his 'young British kid having a success in the Bundesliga' that made many people or the media want him here - because I'm still unsure about him.

I'd have a left footed RW/RAM over him any day of the week alongside a CDB, a left footed CB maybe even a LB etc.
There is just so much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

A tap in merchant with 33 goals in 2 seasons as an 18 and 19 year old winger? Why can't other Dortmund players produce what he does in their system if its just about tapping in goals? He blows people away even if you consider Dortmund of the last 10 years of which had many exciting talents. Nevermind the fact that's only just turned 20. There is consistency in his numbers btw, of which you couldn't get for a peak Mkhitaryan, who was a 1 season wonder.

Him being British is relevant in that we can have him for 10+ years. Sure he could move to Real or something later, but him being British increases your chances of him staying compared to other top talents. This is important and is indeed a reason why I want him.

Him being British is not relevant when discussing his actual talent and production. You're mixing the two as synonymous. How does him being British make us want him over other talents? We want him because of his production. We're talking about an age 19 season having 20 goals and 20 assists! Which 19 year old had that in the past 10 years in not just the top 5 leagues, but top 7 leagues? If it's so easy. And I'm not implying you think it's easy, but just stressing the fact that him actually doing it is meaningful. The fact that I have to expand the player pool to get those numbers as a teenager says everything. You'll have Mbappe for sure. I'm not saying he is above Mbappe btw.

And this goes back to your tap in merchant thing. It's not just that he's scoring and assisting goals at a rate that is special for an 18-19 year old. He's also getting secondary assists more than others, which is the pass that leads to an assist. His technique is great. We're not talking about Depay, who is decent technically. We're talking another level in technical ability.

Finally, he is an immense dribbler for his age. Here are statistics showing Sancho's dribbling stats to great dribblers in the PL.

per 90 (successful/attempted/%successful)
Sancho age 18: 4.1/6.8 / 60.3%
Sancho age 19: 3.0 /5.4 / 55.6%

Hazard age 19: 2.0 /5.3 / 37.7%
Hazard age 20: 2.9 /6 / 48.3%
Hazard age 21: 2.5 /4.9 / 51%
Hazard age 22: 2.1 /4.4 / 47.7% (Premier League)
Hazard age 23: 4.1 /6.5 / 63.1% (Premier League)

Sane age 19: 3.3 /6.8 / 48.5%
Sane age 20: 3.5 /7.7 / 45.5%
Sage age 21: 2.7 /4.8 / 56.3% (PL)
Sane age 22: 3.2 /4.9 / 65.3% (PL)

Notice how Sancho is the superior teenage dribbler. Take note of the fact that I'm comparing Sancho to Hazard and Sane at the same level of competition if you consider the Bundesliga a lesser league. In other words, it's not Bundesliga Sancho vs PL Hazard vs PL Sane as that would be unfair. It's Bundesliga Sancho vs Bundesliga Sane vs Ligue 1 Hazard, which is fair.

And also take note of the fact that both Hazard and Sane improved in their dribbling as they reached their 20s. So it's very much possible that Sancho improves his dribbling ability and translates it to PL football. He could do this more than any of our other talents.

So a tap in merchant to describe Sancho is an insane comment to make.

Quality strength in depth is as important if not more important then signing Sancho. Our reserves are basically crap and we are forced to run the first team to the ground.

The emergence of Greenwood should put things into a certain perspective. I wonder if we need a Lb more then a RW. Shaw is a crock and Williams is cack.
Quality strength in depth being more important than Sancho and acquiring Sancho aren't mutually exclusive. It's only mutually exclusive if you're looking at 1 window to solve our problems. Expand that to another summer or 2 summers to solve our problems and this becomes clearer.

Essentially what you're deciding is that you would rather

2020/21 team at a level of 8/10, 2021/22 team at a level of 8.5/10

as opposed to

2020/21 team at a level of 7.5/10, 2021/22 team at a level of 9/10

What matters is which team will give us the best chance at winning titles. I take the one with Sancho rather than the one that prioritizes depth for immediate return, when we can always get that depth the next summer because those depth pieces are much more easily attainable than a talent of the caliber of Sancho. You miss out on cheaper options, there is no problem. You can find those talents the next summer. You can't do that with Sancho.

A quick look at history would show that his production and ability is quite rare. And if you do find such a talent (Dembele/Mbappe), they'll be just as expensive. And guess what? We'll be stuck right back in this loop of a conversation of "should we spend all of our money on 1 player, or focus on depth?"

Last edited:

Zlatattack

1. Pre-Greenwood our right wing was completely useless and has been for years.

2. Sancho has the x factor on the pitch - he's a proper star like Pogba and Fernandes, he'll add creativity and a threat that teams cannot manage. Having 3 players like that will mean teams won't be able to overload on our star players or most creative players, which means we'll get a lot more space in attack and we'll likely have to do a lot less defending too (like the good old days).

3. A star like Sancho doesn't come around every day. The last English player of similar quality was Sterling. Opportunity knocks.

El Jefe

It's going to be funny when all of you in the camp of 'buy Sancho at any cost' because we need a RW realise that in our team he'll be far better on the left.

I kind of agree with the OP but also agree that he's a generational talent so having him sets us up nicely for the future.

If we only sign Sancho, I won't be surprised if next season goes just like this one with maybe 8 more points in the league. We have huge holes in this team that signing Sancho alone won't fix. No attacking quality from full backs, Matic replacement and lack of pace of CB's are a big problem and we're not going anywhere without sorting that.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

It's going to be funny when all of you in the camp of 'buy Sancho at any cost; because we need a RW realise that in our team he'll be far better on the left.

I kind of agree with the OP but also agree that he's a generational talent so having him sets us up nicely for the future.

If we only sign Sancho, I won't be surprised if next season goes just like this one with maybe 8 more points in the league. We have huge holes in this team that signing Sancho alone won't fix. No attacking quality from full backs, Matic replacement and lack of pace of CB's are a big problem and we're not going anywhere without sorting that.
Him being better on the left doesn't change the fact that he can do a job on the right much better than any of our other options. And his right and left wing production thus far at Dortmund are quite equal even if the left is very slightly superior.

Everybody that keeps mentioning Greenwood as being good enough for our right side, and Sancho being better on the left only means that Rashford goes to the bench and Rashford would be an awesome addition from the bench compared to James, old Mata, etc...

We can split Sancho's playing time on the left and right because he is flexible in that manner. This allows us to have rotations of the following:

--------Martial
Rashford---Sancho

--------Martial
Sancho ----Greenwood

--------Greenwood
Rashford-----Sancho

--------Greenwood
Martial------Sancho

-------Rashford
Martial ------- Sancho

--------Rashford
Sancho------Greenwood

--------Rashford
Martial---------Sancho

El Jefe

Him being better on the left doesn't change the fact that he can do a job on the right much better than any of our other options. And his right and left wing production thus far at Dortmund are quite equal even if the left is very slightly superior.

Everybody that keeps mentioning Greenwood as being good enough for our right side, and Sancho being better on the left only means that Rashford goes to the bench and Rashford would be an awesome addition from the bench compared to James, old Mata, etc...

We can split Sancho's playing time on the left and right because he is flexible in that manner. This allows us to have rotations of the following:

--------Martial
Rashford---Sancho

--------Martial
Sancho ----Greenwood

--------Greenwood
Rashford-----Sancho

--------Greenwood
Martial------Sancho

-------Rashford
Martial ------- Sancho

--------Rashford
Sancho------Greenwood

--------Rashford
Martial---------Sancho
While I agree adding Sancho gives us more options, we're really bringing him in to solve our issues of our RW. Like many Dortmund fans have said, he only plays as a RW on the team sheet, Hakimi was their actual RW/RWB. This allowed Sancho to drift off the right into central pockets and the half spaces where he's at his most dangerous. We currently have AWB who is almost non-existent in an attacking sense and this will in turn serious limit Sancho's impact on the right.

This is where I somewhat agree with the OP. I think we'd have a better team signing one attacking fullback, a Matic replacement and an athletically dominant CB than signing Sancho alone.

In Rainbows

While I agree adding Sancho gives us more options, we're really bringing him in to solve our issues of our RW. Like many Dortmund fans have said, he only plays as a RW on the team sheet, Hakimi was their actual RW/RWB. This allowed Sancho to drift off the right into central pockets and the half spaces where he's at his most dangerous. We currently have AWB who is almost non-existent in an attacking sense and this will in turn serious limit Sancho's impact on the right.

This is where I somewhat agree with the OP. I think we'd have a better team signing one attacking fullback, a Matic replacement and an athletically dominant CB than signing Sancho alone.
But as I pointed out a few posts above, there is no reason why we cant have an attacking fullback, Matic replacement and athletically dominant CB the next summer.

There is no reason to think of creating the best possible team as only a 2020 summer thing. We don't need to have our best team for next season. We have the summer after that. Sancho, Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood would all be really young with 5-10 years for them to be in their 20s (physical peak). Meaning even if our team isn't a more complete team for next season, we can have a more complete team for the next 3-7 years if you strengthen the depth the next 2 summers.

I would rather add Sancho, and have a superior team for the next 2-8 years than a better team for next season, but not as good team for the next 2-8 years. The better quality for a longer period of time increases our chances at winning titles more so than not adding Sancho.

MrEarl

I've been a bit confused over the big push for a United RW. Isn't the more modern configuration one that de-emphasizes wingers? Well, it is if you focus on Liverpool. But, a close look at City shows the direction that United are moving in and why.

Liverpool play with a narrow front three while getting their width from their fullbacks. Their midfield provides grit and intelligence. City are diametrically opposed in their formation. They use wingers in their front three. Their midfield is attacking and creative. Their fullbacks are more central and defensive.

United's fullbacks are a match for City's and would cost a fortune to replace with two Liverpool types. With Pogba and Fernande United have two of the three CMFs comparable to City's. United's front three are lacking one right winger. Hence Sancho.

Add one dynamic and attacking DMF and we have a team (not counting defense) comparable to City's. Our two offensively limited fullbacks become an asset rather than a liability. Our CMF are not suited to play Liverpool's game but they (or at least two) are terrific for the City formation. Add a RW and our front three are about as good as anybody's, better when one takes into account youth and growth potential.

padzilla

Hipster
Agreed.

There's no such thing as a guaranteed success when it comes to transfers, big or small. But this is a player we should buy. Simple as.

If we have to sacrifice something (backups or upgrades) in order to do so - we should still do it.

And - why the feck not - let's do what some people absolutely hate and ask: what would Fergie have done?

The answer is bloody obvious.
Replaced Ronaldo with Valencia?

Nikelesh Reddy

This to me looks like another Woodward special, signing a big name to please advertisers and sponsors while ignoring clear and obvious deficiencies that are more urgent but much less headline grabbing.
We need another midfielder closer to the level of Pogba and Fernandes than Fred and McTominay, we need a centre back who is not Lindelof/ Smalling / Jones / Rojo and will compliment Maguire to stop the panic every time a player ventures into our area or whips in a cross. The goalkeeping situation also needs addressed. There's a big argument we need better attacking full backs as well.
If we sign Sancho and don't tackle these issues we will end up with the same problems as the last few seasons which would raise questions about how the club is being run.
We absolutely need a player like Sancho to take our attacking play to the next level.The difference between our front 3 and our reserve 4(James,Ighalo,Lingard and Mata) is quite significant.We need a top class RW who can take this team to the next level...Ofcourse we have to strengthen other positions as well,but signing a world class RW should be a top priority for us...

eire-red

Yeah we also need a top CB, and a top defensive midfielder, but who's available? And do they want to come here?

Sancho is available, wants to come seemingly, and will sort what has been a problem area for us for the next 10 years.

It's a no brainer for me. Even if we only got one other signing this window, I'd rather 2 top quality additions instead of 3/4 squad additions.

Ole isn't going to be able to solve all his problem areas this window anyway, but get Sancho, consolidate our CL status and bridge the gap (somewhat) between us and City/Pool. We should be looking at the 2021 summer window where we get the final pieces, in my opinion.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If Ole really wants Sancho, then the club should buy him, we would have a strike force which could ultimately be better than Liverpool's. Liverpool have no 'creative' players in midfield as such, they are more hard working, covering, supporting types of players (creativity is subjective I know), which allows their full backs to push forward at every opportunity. At the present time we have a very creative player in Fernandes, a forward thinking passing player in Pogba, and a covering defensive thinking player in Matic, which, to me, is not a good balance. To match Liverpool's set up we would probably have Matic, McTominay and Fred, so no creativeness from midfield, just hard work, ball winning and defensively more secure. If our full backs have the thumbs up to attack at every opportunity, they may help that lack of creativity by getting crosses into the box. I still persist with the idea that playing both Fernandes and Pogba does not work (it may against some lesser sides), we would need to alternate them, and any of Matic, McTominay or Fred. We would be harder to get through in midfield, the full backs may then have a license to attack at every opportunity, and our front three could cut some defences to ribbons. So for me Sancho we would get, and if we got no one else then so be it. I prefer Bailly at CB to Lindelof, firstly he is a ball winner, good in the air, strong in the tackle, has the ability to get himself out of sticky situations, and his passing forward into feet is excellent, Lindelof is not so physical, so struggles against more physical sides, so no new CB for me. Midfield is where we could perhaps employ one more player, but someone who is proven in the PL, like a Doucoure, players from other leagues, especially French league, can take time to get used to the PL, some never seem to, though a Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A player may be good enough to slot in straight away, but not necessarily. In a year's time, we may see the emergence of several players like Garner, Levitt or Galbraith into the picture, so we may see Matic and possibly Fred getting less appearances, possibly in cup matches where we can play some academy lads alongside those more experienced players, Mata also could have a role to play in that, his legs may have gone, but not his brain. Pereira will still be a squad player I feel, and would replace any of the front 6 as a sub, as may Lingard, but I feel his course at OT has been run, as has Rojo, Smalling and possibly Jones and Dalot. TFM will still be here next season, and would provide cover for any back four position. Tuanzebe and Mengi would be also in the frame at CB, Laird at RB (unless he goes on loan, then I expect Dalot to stay). Mata is a natural 10, so could cover Fernandes, or Pogba could slot in there in a tougher match like city, chelsea or pool. It will be interesting to see how we get on next season, I expect us to be closer to pool, and city, and have more good cup runs, especially CL, where I hope we can make QF. Silverware next season would be great.

el3mel

Yeah I'm really worried about us negotiating only 1 deal per time as we have done last few windows. Sancho deal might take few more weeks or even a month and if we did nothing during this period bar negotiating for him we'll have a problem addressing other areas.

Signing a DMF for me is as a big of a priority as Sancho. We only have Matic there and he can't play 2 games a week.

hobbers

We've desperately needed a top quality right winger for... well since Ronaldo left. So I get him being the highest priority.

But not at the expense of signing a long-term replacement for Matic and another centreback to actually compete with Lindelof, since we know we cant rely at all on any of Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones or Rojo.

And another full back because TFM, Williams and Dalot are not anything like good enough to be our only cover for those two positions.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How much energy are we spending?
Since we don't really have any clue what the club are up to behind the scenes, how about waiting until the end of the window before casting judgement? Just a thought
Because apparently this huge football club is only capable of working on one transfer at a time.
Exactly. it feel like this thread is triggered by what's dominant on this forum and in the media, but does anybody actually know what squad gaps have been identified, what United's scouting network has come up with to fix that, and how much of United's staff that might work on transfers are focusing on Sancho right now?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We've desperately needed a top quality right winger for... well since Ronaldo left. So I get him being the highest priority.

But not at the expense of signing a long-term replacement for Matic and another centreback to actually compete with Lindelof, since we know we cant rely at all on any of Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones or Rojo.

And another full back because TFM, Williams and Dalot are not anything like good enough to be our only cover for those two positions.
Agree with this.

Dortmund want €120m from us for Sancho. Thiago Alcantara is available for €30m. Van Der Beek is available for €40m. Pau Torres for €50m. That's €120m right there to cover three positions that will ensure that a) we don't have to run Bruno and Pogba into the ground next season because we've no options in rotation and b) we have a left-sided centre half who can actually play with the ball at his feet.

Especially if the talk of loaning someone half decent to play wide right for a season is true, we have plenty of room to strengthen and then go back in for Sancho next season.

Speedicut75

Yeah I'm really worried about us negotiating only 1 deal per time as we have done last few windows. Sancho deal might take few more weeks or even a month and if we did nothing during this period bar negotiating for him we'll have a problem addressing other areas.

Signing a DMF for me is as a big of a priority as Sancho. We only have Matic there and he can't play 2 games a week.
I fully agree: I would like Sancho every bit as much as the next fevered muppet-child on an expectant Christmas Eve, but not at the expense of a competent DMF as Matic, et al, can't be relied upon to carry the team forward through a protracted league campaign and the rigors of an extended ( with any luck ) CL run.

jesperjaap

Sure I am missing a couple but in my lifetime I had Coppell, Strachan, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Ronaldo.....all erally good playes and progressively got better and better with each player. Obviously Ronaldo is the peak, you dont get better than Ronaldo.

But we have never replaced him with anybody anywhere close to the level of all the right wingers before him I have grown up with. I see some mentioning Greenwood covering there and beign the answer....rubbish. He has been superb, but he isnt a right winger and his excellent work has been around the area with superb finishes, not assists, running with full back etc.

We have been crying out for a quality right winger for years. And Sancho ticks all the boxes. The country is lucky at the moment in having three genuine potential world stars in Sancho, Greenwood and Foden. We havent had one player close to there ability for a long time. If Greenwood progresses as hoped, imagine him @ 20years old, would you sell him for £100m....no. Sancho is English, young, experienced in both CL and another league of football. He scores goals, he assists, he is quick, he is technically excellent, he is a clever player as well. NO guarantees with any signing, but Sancho should be a no brainer for all the boxes he ticks and the length of time he could be here....and if he isnt, we are going to get a big transfer for him again anyway barring serious injuries.

BUT, I get the OP point. This has been a great season from how it started, to finish third and be where we are in the Europa league is success. It reminds me of Mourinhos first season, made good transfers and over achieved. But there were still glaring weaknesses in the squad. There are in ours too. We ave three excellent gk but doubts of sorts over all of them as a long term number 1. Concerns from some on our fb attacking wise. Concerns over virtually all our cbs. Concerns over Matic next season and the lack of cover etc etc etc.

Being super negative I am also concerned how Pogba will be next season if we dont continue on the wave, can Fernandes continue to be as good next season as he has been so far.

Obviously not all these areas need purchases, we do have good youngsters in certain areas....but we def need in my opinion a minimum of CB, DM and some for of AM to cover for Fernandes, in that order in terms of urgency for me.

We cant have Sancho AND all those positions, maybe not even any of them. I think we should be raising fund by selling more players than I expect to Sanchez/Smalling/Rojo/Lingard/Dalot and that probably just funds one more signing considering the Sancho fee.

Personally I think Jones/Mensah/Perreira as a minimum should be added to that list and good reasons to consider one of Fred/Bailly to fund a third signing. I would without doubt add James myself straight out the door but wont happen.

jesperjaap

Sure I am missing a couple but in my lifetime I had Coppell, Strachan, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Ronaldo.....all erally good playes and progressively got better and better with each player. Obviously Ronaldo is the peak, you dont get better than Ronaldo.

But we have never replaced him with anybody anywhere close to the level of all the right wingers before him I have grown up with. I see some mentioning Greenwood covering there and beign the answer....rubbish. He has been superb, but he isnt a right winger and his excellent work has been around the area with superb finishes, not assists, running with full back etc.

We have been crying out for a quality right winger for years. And Sancho ticks all the boxes. The country is lucky at the moment in having three genuine potential world stars in Sancho, Greenwood and Foden. We havent had one player close to there ability for a long time. If Greenwood progresses as hoped, imagine him @ 20years old, would you sell him for £100m....no. Sancho is English, young, experienced in both CL and another league of football. He scores goals, he assists, he is quick, he is technically excellent, he is a clever player as well. NO guarantees with any signing, but Sancho should be a no brainer for all the boxes he ticks and the length of time he could be here....and if he isnt, we are going to get a big transfer for him again anyway barring serious injuries.

BUT, I get the OP point. This has been a great season from how it started, to finish third and be where we are in the Europa league is success. It reminds me of Mourinhos first season, made good transfers and over achieved. But there were still glaring weaknesses in the squad. There are in ours too. We ave three excellent gk but doubts of sorts over all of them as a long term number 1. Concerns from some on our fb attacking wise. Concerns over virtually all our cbs. Concerns over Matic next season and the lack of cover etc etc etc.

Being super negative I am also concerned how Pogba will be next season if we dont continue on the wave, can Fernandes continue to be as good next season as he has been so far.

Obviously not all these areas need purchases, we do have good youngsters in certain areas....but we def need in my opinion a minimum of CB, DM and some for of AM to cover for Fernandes, in that order in terms of urgency for me.

We cant have Sancho AND all those positions, maybe not even any of them. I think we should be raising fund by selling more players than I expect to Sanchez/Smalling/Rojo/Lingard/Dalot and that probably just funds one more signing considering the Sancho fee.

Personally I think Jones/Mensah/Perreira as a minimum should be added to that list and good reasons to consider one of Fred/Bailly to fund a third signing. I would without doubt add James myself straight out the door but wont happen.

TsuWave

The areas Sancho will cover need addressing. He's not just a random big name signing. We have been tracking him since he left City, his talent, his age and potential for development will mesh well with what we have going on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Replaced Ronaldo with Valencia?
Heh, yeah. Sure.

Doubt that was an ideal scenario for him, though.

The point (which I would've thought was pretty obvious) is that Sancho is a player who ticks most boxes for the sort of player Fergie always targeted (young, huge talent, English/British/Irish, the sort you can build around for years): Keane, Rio, Rooney type of player.

RuudTom83

Nobody knows what United are doing tbh!

But its fun to speculate all the same, but posts like...why are they wasting all this time!!!! is silly when we are all just sat a work killing time on a football forum.

The_Midfielder

Buy a quality right winger.. win 5-4 :drool::drool::drool::drool:
Everybody knows our RW is bad compared to LW.. so opposition will force us to use the right wings more next season...Buy Sancho and score more. ..

meamth

The way I look at it, our defences are good enough minus the depth, our midfield is arguably one of the strongest in the league.

We're lacking depth on the wings. That's for sure.

I think OP is one of those posters who demand world class players in each positions...

RepardReece

RW is our #1 priority as it should be. Greenwood has been good, but he's a ST and not a RW. Sancho is everything we need in that position and more. We are not going to get a better player to fill that position.

Regarding DM and CB. DM, I'd agree, Matic is old and has been solid recently, but he can't play week in week out. Fred and McTominay haven't looked promising in that role, so I think that should be our next buy. CB, although I think we can definitely improve on, I don't think our defence has been as bad as people are making it out to be. We had the 3rd best defence in the league last season, only conceding 3 more than Liverpool. If not for De Gea's blunders, we would probably have had the best defence in the league. Shaw and AWB have been good enough for us this season and them positions don't need to be addressed.

The attack is where we lacked at times, especially pre Bruno, scoring 19 less than Liverpool and 36 less than City. Sancho will add depth in the squad, make us more effective off the bench in one of our 3 current forwards, and guarantee us more goals. I think other areas do need to be improved, but RW is definitely our weakest spot on the field currently.

dev1l

RW is our #1 priority as it should be. Greenwood has been good, but he's a ST and not a RW. Sancho is everything we need in that position and more. We are not going to get a better player to fill that position.

Regarding DM and CB. DM, I'd agree, Matic is old and has been solid recently, but he can't play week in week out. Fred and McTominay haven't looked promising in that role, so I think that should be our next buy. CB, although I think we can definitely improve on, I don't think our defence has been as bad as people are making it out to be. We had the 3rd best defence in the league last season, only conceding 3 more than Liverpool. If not for De Gea's blunders, we would probably have had the best defence in the league. Shaw and AWB have been good enough for us this season and them positions don't need to be addressed.

The attack is where we lacked at times, especially pre Bruno, scoring 19 less than Liverpool and 36 less than City. Sancho will add depth in the squad, make us more effective off the bench in one of our 3 current forwards, and guarantee us more goals. I think other areas do need to be improved, but RW is definitely our weakest spot on the field currently.
It would be interesting to see scoring stats vs Liverpool and City pre and post Bruno

cyril C

It is hard to understand how we work on transfers and what is the budget as obviously we take too much time to conduct any business in the off season.

Looks to me at the moment that we have been in serious problem with salaries. We had too many high contracts that did not produce, and even with income we generate it was pretty hard to do business with that. So, what Ole did is remarkable in that area as he managed to sell or offload Alexis (350), Lukaku (200), Young (110), Valencia (100), Rojo (80), Smalling (80), Herrera (75), Darmian (60). Not sure that numbers are right, but should be around those at least. That is 50+ millions per year in wages. Take in mind that Mata, Lingard and Jones with medium high salaries are also on exit door, or close, and that it would not be a big surprise to see De Gea replaced with Henderson. To me it looks like it is sell out of the players on high wages to establish better balanced structure in the club and have more space for new signings.

Regarding squad, it is obvious to me that we have 11 players Ole trust. It is the team playing in the starting lineup for last like 10 games or so. All the other players bar Romero as backup keeper, and probably Williams in some form as backup full back and kid, are not players Ole is willing to play even with 1 or 2 goals up. And he has right to do so as you can't say they did good when given chance. Maybe in some different setup, not chasing too many points, playing every 3 days, it would not look like that, but it is not good for the squad to see half of the squad without any minutes for such a big run.

So, we definitely need in first stage at least one more forward, RW and obviously we are going for Sancho there without backup option. I would not like us to spend all our money for this summer on him. Why? Cause we even more need CB as at the moment we are playing with Maguire and Lindelof every game for 90 minutes. Bailly and Axel maybe can help, but lets see if they can stay fit for 10 games in a row. Mengi is a kid. Jones is probably in the hospital and the only reason why still in the club probably is that he is injured and you can't sell injured player. So, we need fit CB that can at least cover. If we are selling Rojo and Smalling (I don't think they will come back), than that money should be spent on someone who can help 20 times next year.

We need FB that has attacking quality. I think in our attacking play the bigger problem than RW is the fact our full backs are not dangerous at all. There is so much to improve in attacking play of all our FB options, and one addition there would be very helpfull.

No need to start talking about our midfield options. If Matic, Pogba and Bruno all not starting, we are in problems. Fred and McTominay can make a shift, but they are so limited especially in passing forward. Yesterday for example our tactic was to get ball to Pogba who should pass to the hole where Bruno, or Martial would be able to get some space and can receive, turn around and play 4 on 4. Pogba made 10 passes like that or so, but McTominay or Fred are not able to pass that ball once as first of all don't have technique and than confidence to take that pass. Also, Bruno, comparing to Pereira or Lingard as replacement. The gap is so big that our performance will drop too much as soon as one of the first team players is out. Fred can't replace Matic as you need someone who is calm on the ball, and strong enough to help defense and play like thrid CB in the opening phase. Fred can't do it, even if he knows when to drop at CB position (and he doesn't know that).

So, overall, we can say we have 11, reserve GK, a few academy/kids that will maybe get there (Williams, Tuanzebe, Mengi, McTominay, Laird, Garner) and the rest of the squad doesn't help at this level (maybe someone can surprise, but I can't see that at the moment). If we can get another FB, DM, CM, RW it would be much better. It looks like RW cost for those 3 positions all together, and for me it is better to fix 3, than 1.
While you may be right on Lukaku and Young, you are deadly wrong on Sanchez and Smalling. Smalling is on 130K and is willing to lower a bit to accommodate the transfer. Sanchez is on 350K + 100K on image right plus a few other bonus options .

You can't assume Mata is off, because he has just extended his contract for 3 years I believe, from last season. You also cannot assume Jones is leaving, as much as we wish this will happen, nobody is coming for him. Rojo might be off if we are willing to let him go for free.

As you said we only have 2 months , in fact a much shorter window than before because many top clubs including MU are still busy.

This window is exactly why you should not push for a change unless you are willing to pay some crazy number. So only 2 move is possible, go for a more affordable option of right wing, which I believe we are willing to pay reasonable sum. If Smalling goes, find a better CB. And Rojo leaves for free. That is it.