Why Citys First XI are never poached

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Wanted to discuss something i mentioned in the treble thread,

Why is it Citys first 11 are never courted by the likes of Real, Barca, PSG or Bayern?

It seems ever since the takeover in 2008 none of the top clubs in europe have ever declared interest in any of Citys main players

Kompany, Silva, Aguero, De Bruyne, Rodri, Ederson, Foden etc all have never come as potential signings for these clubs

You have Madrid declaring interest in Mbappe, Ronaldo, Barca chasing Lewandowski, but never have these clubs successfully declared interest in a City first team player

Honourable mentions not included

Cancelo was a bench player before being released on loan, same can be said for Sane when Sterling went to a left winger, Dzeko was also a sub

Bernardo Silva is the only one i can think of after 15 years

Jesus, Zinchenko, Sterling all on the unwanted list

Is it shadow wages from an abu dhabi company? Agents paid brown envelopes to not let their players leave? How is it none of these guys ever want to play elsewhere?

This is also pre Guardiola, under Mancini and Pellegrini also, they never lost a first team player to a big club, and they never even declared interest

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Barcelona bought Ferran Torres after 18 months at City for £45m or something.

AndySmith1990

Manchester City have been charged with breaking financial fair play rules around 100 times over a nine-year period...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Because they pay them more than anyone. Sure 50% of that is off the books but the players don’t care.

Strootman's Finger

They don't tend to have superstar players, don't get me wrong, they have lots of worldclass players, but a lot of low key players that don't tend to attract headlines or major fanfare, they just get down to work and exceed. Haaland is one of their first truly superstar players, like a lot of kids are going to grow up wearing Haaland shirts and becoming city fans. Prior to Haaland I would think Aguero and Silva fell into this category, but probably not even to the same level.

And I think because they are class players, most of them anyway, playing in a finely tuned system, they play well as a whole, but no one stands out as a particular star, until you get a guy banging in 50 goals in a season with a superstar persona as well, who will probably have Real and PSG chasing him in a couple seasons.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They don't tend to have superstar players, don't get me wrong, they have lots of worldclass players, but a lot of low key players that don't tend to attract headlines or major fanfare, they just get down to work and exceed. Haaland is one of their first truly superstar players, like a lot of kids are going to grow up wearing Haaland shirts and becoming city fans. Prior to Haaland I would think Aguero and Silva fell into this category, but probably not even to the same level.

And I think because they are class players, most of them anyway, playing in a finely tuned system, they play well as a whole, but no one stands out as a particular star, until you get a guy banging in 50 goals in a season with a superstar persona as well, who will probably have Real and PSG chasing him in a couple seasons.
I'd add that de Bruyne probably has iron-clad contract. I imagine Real, Barca and Bayern must have been interested at some point.

The problem is the gap between top team is even bigger now than it was. If you're too big for City, you only have a few places to go because City probably won't sell a top top player to an English rival.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They keep their players happy and have the financial muscle to refuse any offer for players they don't want to sell

Silva and Aguero were pursued at various points by the spanish giant but they weren't willing to push for the move, and City refused to even start negotiations. Kompany, the big clubs generally had better players already. Yaya likewise never generated particular interest. Under Guardiola, well, they have Guardiola, and players generally want to play for him. They did lose Sane though, and might have lost Bernardo Silva if De Jong didn't refuse to leave. They might lose Gundogan in the summer as well

I'm sure big clubs sending feelers to De Bruyne has been an annual tradition for the past 5-6 years at least, evidently the answer that came back was that he was happy where he was

Baneofthegame

I'm sure a lot of them were handsomely rewarded for their loyalty under the table.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I guess you can argue it the other way as well. Very rarely do the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca, PSG, Liverpool let players go at the peak of their powers. So not entirely unexpected. That said, it would suggest there is a pretty sizeable gap on reported salary for A list performer at City compared to what they are really getting.

top1whoisman

Scout
I guess you can argue it the other way as well. Very rarely do the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca, PSG, Liverpool let players go at the peak of their powers. So not entirely unexpected.
At least Sterling, Coutinho, Mascherano, Owen & Suárez disagree. Torres & Alonso to a degree too.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Haaland will be an interesting test of this. If in 2 years time Marca aren’t dribbling over him and sensationalising that he wears Real Madrid pyjamas, we can safely assume the right people have been threatened with decapitation if they go near a city asset

BarcaSpurs

Barca have tried to take Bernardo Silva, are currently trying to take Gundogan, and took Eric Garcia (unluckily for them).

BarcaSpurs

Barca got a 35 year old Lewandowski from Bayern but apart from that their big signings have been from Dortmund (Dembele), Ajax (Frenkie), Leeds (Raphinha), Sevilla (Kounde) etc.

Why didn't Real Madrid take Kompany, Silva, Aguero etc? well because they had Ramos, Varane, Modric, Benzema etc. They just haven't needed City's key players over the years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It is weird alright. Especially the way they seem to find buyers incredibly easy when they decide they want to move a player on. So it’s not as though their players aren’t sought after. Weird and annoying because never losing your best players but being able to sell every player you don’t want quickly and for good money makes it so much easier to build a good squad.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
At least Sterling, Coutinho & Suárez disagree.
Sterling, Coutinho, Suárez and Xabi Alonso and Torres before that just in Liverpool's case.

Neymar in Barcelona's case.

Di Maria, Casemiro, Ozil, Morata, Hakimi, Odegaard in Real Madrid's case.

Thiago Alcantara and Lewandowski that I can think of in Bayern's case.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I guess you can argue it the other way as well. Very rarely do the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca, PSG, Liverpool let players go at the peak of their powers. So not entirely unexpected. That said, it would suggest there is a pretty sizeable gap on reported salary for A list performer at City compared to what they are really getting.
Bayern and Real and Barcelona aren't supposed to let players go because they're traditional big clubs. Or something

Von Mistelroum

Because they earn an absolute tonne of money with the 'extra payments' from City. Who can match that?

top1whoisman

Scout
Sterling, Coutinho, Suárez and Xabi Alonso and Torres before that just in Liverpool's case.

Neymar in Barcelona's case.

Di Maria, Casemiro, Ozil, Morata, Hakimi, Odegaard in Real Madrid's case.

Thiago Alcantara and Lewandowski that I can think of in Bayern's case.
In Real's case it was not like those players were poached by someone, more like they had decided to let them go. In Casemiro's case we can't say "at the peak of his powers".

Thiago maybe, Lewandowski had definitely peaked when he moved.

r3idy

At least Sterling, Coutinho, Mascherano, Owen & Suárez disagree. Torres & Alonso to a degree too.
That's a very tenuous list at best. Let me put it another way, the big clubs really know when to sell a dud. Sterling has not ripped up any tree's since moving to Chelsea. Liverpool were laughing all the way to the bank with the sale of Coutinho and Torres. I would argue there is that pull for the Latino players at their peak to move to Barca / Real e.g. Mascherano, Ronaldo etc.

top1whoisman

Scout
That's a very tenuous list at best. Let me put it another way, the big clubs really know when to sell a dud. Sterling has not ripped up any tree's since moving to Chelsea. Liverpool were laughing all the way to the bank with the sale of Coutinho and Torres. I would argue there is that pull for the Latino players at their peak to move to Barca / Real e.g. Mascherano, Ronaldo etc.
It's almost like Sterling never played for City.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Their first 11 well paid. Always have chance to win trophies. Recent seasons they often go far in cl. No reason for players to look else where.

r3idy

It's almost like Sterling never played for City.
So is the basis of your argument based on Sterling having his peak at City ? Same Sterling who choked in quite a few big games ? Respect a difference of opinion but some of the players you reference were either on the decline or went onto a fast decline after leaving their respective clubs.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They’re paid well above what they’re being given over the table. I think I heard that the likes of Aguero and Silva are still being paid somehow.

theballisround

The only way up is Real Madrid, other than that, all teams pay worse and play worse, so why should they move?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because they're consistently challenging for all trophies managed by the best manager around and at a time where the Premier League is the elite league in the world.

United didn't have players lured away while Sir Alex was here. It was just Ronaldo, because Ronaldo had won everything here and always saw Madrid as the pinnacle, which is common for players in that part of the world especially.

Barca have been a mess for years, so financially couldn't afford most of these guys. But besides that, why go for Aguero when they had Suarez and Madrid had Benzema? Why go for de Bruyne or David Silva when Madrid have Modrić and Kroos and Barca had Iniesta?

It's a situational thing. There was no need for those clubs to go for the star players. Often times, City don't necessarily have the biggest stars either. They have a lot of quality players, but aside from De Bruyne and now Haaland, none of them were best in the world in their position guys. Quality players, but not players who are irreplaceable and signed at the right ages where it's too difficult to lure them away once they sign their contract.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The players weren't good enough relative to their inflated salaries to be worth the hassle that poaching a starter from a top club's XI entails. Maybe some are now.

top1whoisman

Scout
So is the basis of your argument based on Sterling having his peak at City ? Same Sterling who choked in quite a few big games ? Respect a difference of opinion but some of the players you reference were either on the decline or went onto a fast decline after leaving their respective clubs.
Yeah I'd say Sterling was more or less at his peak when City got him.

In hindsight you can say Torres had seen his peak already, sure. Coutinho was at his peak when he left, same for Mascherano and Owen. Suárez was one of the best strikers in the world when he left Liverpool. In my opinion Alonso wasn't in decline although, in hindsight, we could say that he never reached the Liverpool levels in Madrid.

Zen

Isn't this a Pep XI thing? Ultra system players...

r3idy

Yeah I'd say Sterling was more or less at his peak when City got him.

In hindsight you can say Torres had seen his peak already, sure. Coutinho was at his peak when he left, same for Mascherano and Owen. Suárez was one of the best strikers in the world when he left Liverpool. In my opinion Alonso wasn't in decline although, in hindsight, we could say that he never reached the Liverpool levels in Madrid.
That's the mark of a good team, more importantly a good manager knowing when to recycle the team BEFORE it peaks.

top1whoisman

Scout
That's the mark of a good team, more importantly a good manager knowing when to recycle the team BEFORE it peaks.
No disagreements there. I'd still say that if they had the chance they'd have loved to keep most of those players. They couldn't compete with the bigger clubs financially and their players wanted to go win more than they did at Liverpool.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The likes of bench players (Grealish, Mahrez, even Bernardo) are probably being paid around 500k a week each on+off the books. More off than on obviously. Why do you think we never hear a peep about them wanting a move? And no, it's not just because of Pep.

Aguero and David Silva in their non CL winning decade each. Not a peep. No one could afford their (actual) salaries. It's not even that big a secret either. No one gives a shit. That's where football is.

PSV

Why didn't Real Madrid take Kompany, Silva, Aguero etc? well because they had Ramos, Varane, Modric, Benzema etc. They just haven't needed City's key players over the years.
Well, I mean, all three of them were sick-notes.