Why did Ole prioritise a CB over a DM?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because Varane is better than any other DM available and lindleof is crap?

feck me that Varane signing is one of the best bits of business we’ve done in years.

Im mindful of how the team will look when McTominay comes back. He was an absolute monster against Leeds and is in the age bracket where midfielders can potentially flourish.
Spot on. I can’t believe this question is asked. You don’t miss out on Varane for 40m you just don’t

and if he had not got sancho and instead a DM the cry would have been but our RW is missing for years

jem

How many more idiotic posts are there going to be about "should have sold Lingard".

He didn't want to move, it was made clear during the window. Do posters not pay ny attention?
I won't bother repeating what I said in another post other than to say if a manager wants a player gone, he'll find a way. Ole clearly likes having Lingard around. Grow up.

jem

But nearly 40+players have either been sold or left under Ole.

Fellaini, Herrera, darmian, young, Smalling, Sanchez, Lukaku, TFM, ROJo, Romero etc
Which supports my point that I think Ole wants Lingard to stay. One thing that might not have been clear in my early post: I don't think it's a case of Ole being weak-willed in the face of a player not wanting to leave; it's more that he doesn't want to lose Lingard for some reason. I should have mentioned his previous ruthlessness getting rid of the likes of Fellaini as well as mentioning the previous managers.

Tallis

We should try and sell Martial in the winter and buy Bissouma or similar. Some club is going to be desperate for a striker in the winter and we would hopefully have our full complement with Ronaldo, Cavani, Mason, Rashford. We also have Elanga who can cover for the LW spot if needed.

golden_blunder

Staff
''Why did Ole prioritise a DM over a CB?''

100% would have been a thread titled as above had we signed a DM instead of Varane.
Absolutely

the question should be why couldn’t we budget for one more position even if it meant no major signings next summer?

Blood Mage

Well for one thing we can't play a high line with both Lindelof and Maguire at the back, as the first half against Young Boys evidenced.

golden_blunder

Staff
Maguire - injured towards end of season
Lindelof - 4 seasons of having to cover for his defensive weaknesses
Tuanzebe - injury prone and not good enough yet. Needs first team football to produce consistently
Bailly - walking brain fart
Jones - not fit for 18 months

That’s why we desperately needed a cb

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The answer is pretty obvious, who's available? If Casemiro available then we would have gone for him. Varane is top class, there is no top class midfielder available last summer. We might should just stick with McTominay while Rice cost 100m.

stevoc

Absolutely

the question should be why couldn’t we budget for one more position even if it meant no major signings next summer?
Yep the midfielders we wanted that were in the budget like Camavinga didn't fancy England it seems.

Think we also wanted rice but a combination of their valuation and lingard staying probably killed that deal.

CloneMC16

Varane was far too good to pass up. The upgrade over Lindelof is absolutely massive. I don't see us prioritising a CB over a DM. For me, we chose Sancho over a DM. Greenwood was in fantastic form at the end of last season. He can (and probably will) continue to play on the right side. He's also started this season like he ended the last. I think midfield was a more pressing matter over that, but our management decided otherwise. Sancho will still be an excellent player for us, but if that money could have been spent on a midfielder, I would have done that instead.

Last edited:

alexthelion

I won't bother repeating what I said in another post other than to say if a manager wants a player gone, he'll find a way. Ole clearly likes having Lingard around. Grow up.
What a pathetic post, sonny.

Red_toad

Simple question really. We all knew the Glazers wouldn’t open the purse strings enough to get a RW, CB and a DM, so why did Ole prioritise a CB over a DM?

We have nobody good enough to be a Man Utd starting DM right now, before Varane we had one and a half good enough CBs who would have been stronger with greater protection by an Ndidi type in front of them. Once the Ronaldo euphoria has died down we'll quickly see what a mistake that was.

But I guess we’ll only get to see how good a manager Ole really is next season, after we’ve bought a CM or two.
How does anyone on the Caf know what his priorities are or were? Maybe just maybe the identified targets were unavailable and Varane was available, so the club correctly IMO signed him. It's not likely the club will just sign someone for a position without due diligence, we tried that with Bebe.

Denis79

If a player of Varane's caliber becomes available you go for him. No matter what the priority is. And we kinda needed to replace Lindelof sooner or later.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
We shouldve prob gone for a dm over a rw with how greenwood is playing. Sancho is quality but not much different than our other options if we play him LW.

We shouldve gone for bissouma. Hes literally what we need.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Maguire - injured towards end of season
Lindelof - 4 seasons of having to cover for his defensive weaknesses
Tuanzebe - injury prone and not good enough yet. Needs first team football to produce consistently
Bailly - walking brain fart
Jones - not fit for 18 months

That’s why we desperately needed a cb
This and the fact that Varane was available. He's not just any CB.

The whole allotted budget thing went out the window when Ronnie became available. The James deal wasn't in the works when we signed him. Does that mean we prioritized a CF over a DM? Unlikely.