Why did SAF retire in 2013?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Think the board would have backed him over Rooney. Saying 3 more years was just to end speculation and uncertainty.
Are you sure? To most of us Rooney was finished, certainly at the top level anyway, yet he got a new 5 year contract(and it's far too easy to blame David Moyes for that), then van Gaal with his my Captain always plays line ....

And the 3 years, I think he got his mojo back after pipping City to the Title and genuinely thought he could carry on till he was at least 75 with Guy Roux record in his sights.

RedTiger

Half mast
Are you sure? To most of us Rooney was finished, certainly at the top level anyway, yet he got a new 5 year contract(and it's far too easy to blame David Moyes for that), then van Gaal with his my Captain always plays line ....

And the 3 years, I think he got his mojo back after pipping City to the Title and genuinely thought he could carry on till he was at least 75 with Guy Roux record in his sights.
I'm sorry but I totally blame Moyes for that. Sir Alex paved the road for Rooney's departure in his final post match interview, all Moyes had to do was sell him and he wouldn't have heard a peep out of united fans, instead the man decides that the press and fans would have pillored him if he didn't bury his previous Everton "beef" with Rooney. So to prove that Rooney was ok with him he hands him a new contract.

youngrell

He retired for the reason he mentioned and that alone.

To suggest the Glazers pushed him out is nuts. Look how much money they’ve had to spend since he retired.

Class of 63

Sourness
I'm sorry but I totally blame Moyes for that. Sir Alex paved the road for Rooney's departure in his final post match interview, all Moyes had to do was sell him and he wouldn't have heard a peep out of united fans, instead the man decides that the press and fans would have pillored him if he didn't bury his previous Everton "beef" with Rooney. So to prove that Rooney was ok with him he hands him a new contract.
Moyes couldn't really win with Rooney, he'd be damned if he sold him, he'd be damned if made peace and offered him a new contract, and for a lot of fans he'd be damned whichever decision he made.

Ban

I thought it was well known its cause his wife sister passed away. I guess not. Every now then it's asked as it it was some other story behind it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Yeah Rooney was definitely finished by 2012. I honestly think if SAF stayed and wanted to sell him the board would not have intervened. Moyes was always in awe of Rooney, LVG honestly don’t know why but I’d guess to not piss off the media as he was still a media darling, and Jose got rid of him no problems.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Moyes couldn't really win with Rooney, he'd be damned if he sold him, he'd be damned if made peace and offered him a new contract, and for a lot of fans he'd be damned whichever decision he made.
I think keeping Rooney was, like getting rid of SAF backroom staff, Moyes way of trying to show he was his own man. Maybe he thought he could reignite something in Rooney.

Amir

If you Google things, you see that since his u-turn in 2002 he always talked about three more years. In 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2012... I doubt it was ever some sort of blueprint. After our struggles in 2001/02 (though I never accepted that it was due to his impending retirement) he was always going to be keeping everyone guessing. And telling porkies was never a problem for him.

Someone mentioned the defeat to Real that season and the unusual effect it had on him. I too found it suspicious that night that Phelan said he wouldn't be doing the press conference as he was too distraught. In retrospect it was clear why - he knew it was his last chance in Europe gone. We only secured the title a month and a half later but that wasn't going to chage anything. The decision was already made.

Age and lack of energy to build another team might have been part of it along with his wish to spend more time with his wife, but I doubt the club did anything to push him out.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Didn't he say he wasn't able to keep up with his old pace and that age just caught up with him? He mentioned not wanting to die on the bench like Jock Stein in his first autobiography, iirc.

manc4red

This is incorrect in so many levels. Glazers are many things but them pushing out fergie i just cant see it. As any investor. While put risk in your investor by eliminating one thing that has made what you bought so successful?

fergie is a darn legend. Any fan from any other club will admit to it. He has given us decades of dominance. But he is human. He has aged. He honestly owes us nothing. It was time for him to enjoy life outside of football and i for one will be forever grateful for what he has done for not just utd but the game itself

and im going to add this as it triggers me anytime someone suggests that he left us with a weakened squad. That weakened squad walked the league that year! Why we imploded imo is that we appointed moyes. He changed all his coaching staff. And now PL champs are coached by non PL champs. Changed the way they play the game and the spiral started. Our squad while aging was not bad. We need to stop thinking sir alex left us with a weak squad

Class of 63

Sourness
Yeah Rooney was definitely finished by 2012. I honestly think if SAF stayed and wanted to sell him the board would not have intervened. Moyes was always in awe of Rooney, LVG honestly don’t know why but I’d guess to not piss off the media as he was still a media darling, and Jose got rid of him no problems.
Yeah once he had beaten Sir Bobby Charlton's goal scoring record, but up until then it felt as though the club put everything else on hold until he achieved it.

ghagua

Utter nonsense.

It wasn’t his responsibility to appoint his successor, even if the board allowed him that privilege. Why should SAF bear any responsibility for what happened after him? It’s unprecedented in any industry.

Anyway, it’s been covered from Several sources that Noyes was ‘the last man standing’ as pep and Mourinho were more committed to other ventures.
Who do you think appointed his successor? Have you read how it came about when Moyes got hired? Fergie called him to his house and told him he would be the next United manager, simple as that. If you think Fergie was not the mastermind behind Moyes hiring, then you know nothing.

ghagua

That is not correct. SAF wrote in his book that he personally asked Pep to come to United, in 2012, when Pep was lounging in NY, but Txiki Begiristain was already at City and Pep wasn't gonna go anywhere else. The writing was on the wall. Moyes was suggested after Pep declined. You can read more here: https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...uson-says-he-approached-pep-guardiola-in-2012

As for Klopp - no idea if anybody approached him, but granted in 2012 Klopp was not as known as he is now, and he may not have been on the radar of many. The list of obvious choices before Klopp was much longer, back then.

Hahahahah! Good one :)
Buddy, you need to re-read what I wrote. I did say he fecked up by "Not being able to persuade". I totally understand the Spanish connection at City. They have been planning a long time back, something we seem to be severely lacking.

SirAF

Ageist
Didn't he say he wasn't able to keep up with his old pace and that age just caught up with him? He mentioned not wanting to die on the bench like Jock Stein in his first autobiography, iirc.
Correct, good memory!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Who do you think appointed his successor? Have you read how it came about when Moyes got hired? Fergie called him to his house and told him he would be the next United manager, simple as that. If you think Fergie was not the mastermind behind Moyes hiring, then you know nothing.
I said he shouldn’t have that responsibility and if he did, is not his fault but the fault of his bosses.

Plus even if SAF was the one who turned up at Moyes house, it would have been with the boards endorsement. Him turning up was simply threare to motivate and inspire Moyes.

As for what i know. It’s immatarial as I don’t cate what you think of my knowledge!

ghagua

I said he shouldn’t have that responsibility and if he did, is not his fault but the fault of his bosses.

Plus even if SAF was the one who turned up at Moyes house, it would have been with the boards endorsement. Him turning up was simply threare to motivate and inspire Moyes.

As for what i know. It’s immatarial as I don’t cate what you think of my knowledge!
It was Fergie to called Moyes to visit him at his house. The appointment of Moyes was all down to Fergie. The board would not have any choice other than to back him. Not saying the board would have done any better if it was left up to them as they have shown time and again.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Buddy, you need to re-read what I wrote. I did say he fecked up by "Not being able to persuade". I totally understand the Spanish connection at City. They have been planning a long time back, something we seem to be severely lacking.
Sounds good. Sorry for misreading what you meant

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What the feck kind of substitution is bringing lousy Perrera in for a flying Martial? Concerned about Martial's recent injury is the only thing I can think of, but Martial looked unhappy to be taken off... I really hope Perrera isnt gonna feck it up as he usually does... I really hope...

ghagua

Gotta mention Fred and James. great performances from both of them.