Why did SAF retire in 2013?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've heard these rumours from time to time, and now again on that Transfer Window podcast that SAF was sort of pushed out by the Glazers, cushioned by getting him on the board and naming a stand after him - to wrestle more control. Have there been any interesting quotes close to the man himself, or credible articles exploring this?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’d have retired sooner but for the City takeover presenting him with one final challenge IMHO.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Perfect time for him to retire and devote himself to his family after years of devotion to Utd.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was the best moment to be honest. Leaving on a high with the title win.

Djemba-Djemba

I think he knew Utd needed another big overhaul and he just understandably didn't have the energy in him to do it again.

I think if we'd won the title in 2012 he'd have retired after that but because of what happened he stayed an extra year to make sure he went out as Champion.

SER19

You get to that age and see that time is limited. His health in recent years showed that, just 5 years after quitting. Absolutely right to go as champion and enjoy the other parts of his life. Wish he could have went forever the legend

arnie_ni

Its just a pity it coincidence with gill leaving as well. A few more years of him to smooth the transition and replenish the squad could have went a long way

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I can't see SAF being forced/pushed to do anything that he didnt ultimately want to do himself.

The Glazers are a spineless bunch, they wouldn't have even contemplated trying to force him out.

As every poster in here has suggested, it was the right time for him to go, it should have been with a CL trophy too.

RedIan

Must be hard to maintain energy levels for a hugely pressured job at 70 years of age. Hes 78 this month.

lsd

The Oracle
Really stretching to blame the Glazers for this as well

Kag

Why can’t (some) people just take the bloke at his word and reaffirm the message that he retired because he owed some time to his family? Namely his wife.

He’s suffered a brain haemorrhage in the few years it’s been since he retired, yet we need to read crackpot theories about the Glazers and City instead.

Get in the real world. Cretins.

Reactions: Damien

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It would have been another huge task to evolve the squad and rebuild, especially against rapidly improving rivals. Was just curious to know if there was any substance to those rumours. I guess not.

Also, @Kag no need for that shit.

VJ1762

I am glad he retired tbh. Can't imagine the abuse he would have got on social media today if we had a bad run of form under him. He is remembered today in the only way he deserves to be remembered, as a winner.

VJ1762

It would have been another huge task to evolve the squad and rebuild, especially against rapidly improving rivals. Was just curious to know if there was any substance to those rumours. I guess not.

Think he could have done it again if he had the will. Just think he got exhausted. You have to remember he has been a manager since the 70's, I think. Staying at the top for close to 40 years is an achievement in itself. Time wears everybody down, even he was not immune to it :(

Kag

Well, there is. If I go into work tomorrow and one of my colleagues tells me they’re jacking it in because they need to spend more time with their family then I would take them at their word.

Yet when somebody within the extended media does the same it’s seemingly fine to speculate as to why. That’s the media, I understand. But in this instance, we’re in the midst of disputing his public reasoning all because (some) people seem to think he, essentially, couldn’t be arsed for the fight with City.

What is so difficult about believing what he said? That’s what shit, isn’t it?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Fergie knew he couldn't compete with gegenpressing and decided to call time con his career.

RedDevilRoshi

At the time he told the squad that his wife's twin sister had passed away, he felt it was his duty after years devoting himself to United that he acted as a rock for her.
Exactly the reason why he retired.

Would have loved to have seen him carry on & see him win one more CL but his family comes first and rightly so.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think he could have done it again if he had the will. Just think he got exhausted. You have to remember he has been a manager since the 70's, I think. Staying at the top for close to 40 years is an achievement in itself. Time wears everybody down, even he was not immune to it :(
I am in no way faulting him from retiring. I also thought the calls here for him as a short-term fix over the last 6 years during deep crisis have been misguided as he needs his health and deserves to enjoy his legacy as the best ever and not be part of this diabolical and poisoned chalice.

Well, there is. If I go into work tomorrow and one of my colleagues tells me they’re jacking it in because they need to spend more time with their family then I would take them at their word.

Yet when somebody within the extended media does the same it’s seemingly fine to speculate as to why. That’s the media, I understand. But in this instance, we’re in the midst of disputing his public reasoning all because (some) people seem to think he, essentially, couldn’t be arsed for the fight with City.

What is so difficult about believing what he said? That’s what shit, isn’t it?
I took issue with your insult, so yes, there was no need for that shit. I wasn't speculating that he didn't have the fight, I was asking about rumours about whether the Glazers wanted him out - no fault of SAF. And I guess there was no substance to it. And for the record, I did not always take his statements at face value - "no value in the market" comes to mind. Try to understand that this is not meant as a slight against SAF but a question about the powerplay at the club.

OverratedOpinion

If you fill a post with enough speculation and "no smoke without fire" nonsense then you can probably find a way to blame the Glazers for World War 2. They are cnuts but Sir Alex retired because he wanted to.

He was a dream for the Glazers.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've heard these rumours from time to time, and now again on that Transfer Window podcast that SAF was sort of pushed out by the Glazers, cushioned by getting him on the board and naming a stand after him - to wrestle more control. Have there been any interesting quotes close to the man himself, or credible articles exploring this?
I've never heard anything like that before, makes no sense at all either - wrestle more control for what exactly?!

This is a lesson to you to only listen to one podcast !

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was the best moment to be honest. Leaving on a high with the title win.
I remember one very startling moment from the 2013 title celebration. The players were dancing in a huddle so SAF joined the end of the line, and put his arm around Rafael. Rafael was delighted so bounced up and down with his beloved boss. But he was a youthful kid, and SAF struggled with the energy and momentum and looked very uncomfortable. It really hit me hard as it dawned on me that this man who’d been throughout my life suddenly looked very old.

I think SAF knew we couldn’t compete financially with City, and so would require an even more Herculean effort from him to overcome.

And that’s time and energy he didn’t have at his age, and with the recent change in his family circumstance.

He worked til aged 71, clocking more hours than anyone else at the club and most people who work. I’m so happy he chose his family and his health and was also able to retire as a Winner.

redzombie

I have no idea if there is a truth other than what SAF told us, but Im glad he stepped down when he did, it was almost perfect. Far better than watching any subsequent decline.

VJ1762

I remember one very startling moment from the 2013 title celebration. The players were dancing in a huddle so SAF joined the end of the line, and put his arm around Rafael. Rafael was delighted so bounced up and down with his beloved boss. But he was a youthful kid, and SAF struggled with the energy and momentum and looked very uncomfortable. It really hit me hard as it dawned on me that this man who’d been throughout my life suddenly looked very old.

I think SAF knew we couldn’t compete financially with City, and so would require an even more Herculean effort from him to overcome.

And that’s time and energy he didn’t have at his age, and with the recent change in his family circumstance.

He worked til aged 71, clocking more hours than anyone else at the club and most people who work. I’m so happy he chose his family and his health and was also able to retire as a Winner.
He could have competed with City tbh. Just think he got exhausted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've never heard anything like that before, makes no sense at all either - wrestle more control for what exactly?!

Haha. Don't worry, it's the first priority. But I need my fix. There's also United Weekly, No Question About That (used to go by United Rant) and I'm a sucker for the Transfer Window pod. I used to listen to TalkSport, but it's just too terrible. If you can get on this full time Nik and deliver me an hour everyday I promise to give up the others!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

It is absolute bullshit.

A man that kept them at the top of the pile on a shoe string? They'd have done anything to keep him at United and im sure he has been offered the job back on multiple occasions.

He retired becaue he was 71 and had been in a job for 26 years. Half these clowns managing now can barely last 3 years without having a shit fit or fecking it up for themselves.

The reality is that sometimes external factors to life take over and you need to reevaluate what is important. Sir Alex left us champions with a sqaud that while needing investment in the right areas, was more than good enough to continue to contend with City while a new manager implemented the necessary changes to rebuild the sqaud. The problem is we got Moyes and in the space of 6 months, set the club back 10 years.

The ridiculous thing that has become apparent over the last 12 month is that the way Ole is managing United, is exactly how it should have been done at the time. Keep the experienced backroom staff, place a manager in that the players respect but understand is not the finished article like Sir Alex so the expectations are reduced and build on that foundation. The biggest mistake we've made is trying to replace the best with the purproted "next best".

FujiVice

He began getting nosebleeds and left pre-season early in 2012. His health wasnt what it was, as evidence by last year when he was hospitalized. This man would not have went out unless he had to. The idea this extremely driven man was getting out while the going was good is ridiculous, if you look at his career. He thrived when the chips were down. He'd have releshed the challenge or rebuilding a team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He could have competed with City tbh. Just think he got exhausted.
I also think he could have done it.

I said its time and energy he didn't have, given he'd also have to give his family and beloved wife more quality time, after the death of her sister.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Haha. Don't worry, it's the first priority. But I need my fix. There's also United Weekly, No Question About That (used to go by United Rant) and I'm a sucker for the Transfer Window pod. I used to listen to TalkSport, but it's just too terrible. If you can get on this full time Nik and deliver me an hour everyday I promise to give up the others!
Well we are trying to go weekly at least - going to need a few more bollocks shaving ads before I can make it full time!

I still listen to Talksport a fair bit, can be good in the morning but awful at other times.

Not heard of United Weekly but had noticed the Rant Cast name change, did they explain why the change?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well we are trying to go weekly at least - going to need a few more bollocks shaving ads before I can make it full time!

I still listen to Talksport a fair bit, can be good in the morning but awful at other times.

Not heard of United Weekly but had noticed the Rant Cast name change, did they explain why the change?
Yeah, to do it weekly is great work truth be told. It's going from strength to strength.

I think they said they always planned to have a different name to the blog it began as. I think it coincides with them increasing the frequency of pods. And chose a name in honour of the big man.