Why did Sir Alex sell Pogba? | Pogba wasn't sold, he left on a free transfer

Gopher Brown

Tbf looking back his agent made the right call ans advice in regards to his client.

Considering where he ends up now. Back in Manchester united as a record signing and status of a star player.

It was the right decision for pogba, awful for united
Yeah, I’d rather he had stayed in the reserves for another 2 seasons then we’d let him join Rochdale on a free.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This.

I think I remember us having a bit of an injury crisis in central midfield before a game against Blackburn. SAF decided to play the likes of Rafael and Park there (I think), which was the final straw.
And recalling Scholes out of retirement.

Dobbs

Imo, Pogba leaving United was the best decision he made for himself.

The fact that he left for a team with an even superior midfield to ours shows that it was a football decision. He wasn't on much money at Juve either. I remember Fergie saying we had matched what Juve were paying him and he still wanted to leave.

I respect that sort of self belief and it made him a better player for it. So kudos to him.
I think 18 year olds and agents being so precious and impatient is bad for the game. I don't blame Pogba, he was only young, the culture of the industry and agents being what they are must be a terrible influence.

What's even worse is that fans have bought into this. It's now considered normal for an 18 year to leave a club like United because of one game.

clarkydaz

Scholes said early on as a pundit, he was promising at the time, but not a nailed on first teamer

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think 18 year olds and agents being so precious and impatient is bad for the game. I don't blame Pogba, he was only young, the culture of the industry and agents being what they are must be a terrible influence.

What's even worse is that fans have bought into this. It's now considered normal for an 18 year to leave a club like United because of one game.
Say what you want. We're the one buying him back for world record pre neymar. Joke's on us

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The cost is obviously a slight annoyance, but I'm in the camp that thinks he probably benefitted and learnt more there than he would've with us around that time.

Ibi Dreams

Scholes said early on as a pundit, he was promising at the time, but not a nailed on first teamer
Didn't take him long to grow into a great midfielder at Juventus. All he needed was the game time and the experience, he already had all the tools. And it's not like we had amazing midfielders in the way, our midfield was basically just Michael Carrick on his own for about 4 years

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
This all worked out greatly for us.

No way he would have stuck around in the Moyes and LvG years with Raiola as his agent.

He would have gone to RM, and we'd stand no chance of getting him back.

The money we spent getting him back is irrelevant due to the influx in transfer prices and his commercial profile.

Dobbs

Say what you want. We're the one buying him back for world record pre neymar. Joke's on us
I'm not arguing we came out on top so not sure why you're making that point.

I'd say the same about any teenager who hasn't even played demanding respect and game time. It's a sorry state of affairs. It's worked out for Pogba because he's so talented but for many it won't.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not arguing we came out on top so not sure why you're making that point.

I'd say the same about any teenager who hasn't even played demanding respect and game time. It's a sorry state of affairs. It's worked out for Pogba because he's so talented but for many it won't.
He demands something because he believe he has something. I dont blame him for that. He talk the talk and actually walks the walks.

You can be obedient youth players and lick Fergies gum all day long but without ability you won't get anything.

Fair play to pogba.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He demands something because he believe he has something. I dont blame him for that. He talk the talk and actually walks the walks.

You can be obedient youth players and lick Fergies gum all day long but without ability you won't get anything.

Fair play to pogba.
Except at the time his performances for the Reserves and in the first team when he got in it were one game good...one game average...one game poor.

He was still inexperienced and inconsistent...regardless of how good he was.

He can believe all he wanted...his performances throughout that season were inconsistent.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Except at the time his performances for the Reserves and in the first team when he got in it were one game good...one game average...one game poor.

He can believe all he wanted...his performances throughout that season were inconsistent.
Juve prooves otherwise.

Mr. MUJAC

Juve prooves otherwise.
No it doesn't.

He was 4 months older. He was playing in a different league with totally different tactical and environmental conditions.

The game in Italy was much slower than the Premier League and he learned a lot. He wasn't putting in MOM performances every week in Italy during his first season.

The following couple of years proved his potential...but that was never in question by Ferguson or anyone else at United.

He might have done it at United...maybe not.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why the need to rake this all up again? He’s now come back to united a complete player, and wants to stay at united now. We will have him for his peak years. Focus on the now.

Where were all the keyboard warriors when we sold a young mark Hughes to Barca hmmm?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

This. If anyone was going to break through from that team it was Morrison. You just don’t know with youth football, no guarantees, many surprises

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably turned out best for United that he left and came back. If he stayed under a year of Moyes then 2 years of Van Gaal, he probably would've left for Real Madrid or something and been a transfer saga every summer. This way, he went to a european giant already and then came back here. Sure in 4-5 years there's the risk that he'll want to go to Real Madrid to see out his career, but it's a smaller chance, and he's also here for his main prime years anyway.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
No it doesn't.

He was 4 months older. He was playing in a different league with totally different tactical and environmental conditions.

The game in Italy was much slower than the Premier League and he learned a lot. He wasn't putting in MOM performances every week in Italy during his first season.

The following couple of years proved his potential...but that was never in question by Ferguson or anyone else at United.

THIS

Dobbs

Fair play to pogba.
If he and his agent displayed more patience than an angry 6 year old all that he needed was on offer here. Without the need to lick Fergie's bum.

Next time a young player gets ahead of himself you can't complain if you endorse what Pogba(his agent) did.

Hawks2008

At the end of the day, I don't really have any problems with how it all turned out. He's back playing for us now, and maybe he wouldn't have developed into the player he is now if he hadn't gone to Juventus.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No it doesn't.

Except he's not asking to be made captain, or replacing carrick. He's just fed up of not being trusted ahead of park and rafael, in midfield.

But off course, let's paint it as if he's the entitled brat thinking he's too good for us.

Mr. MUJAC

Except he's not asking to be made captain, or replacing carrick. He's just fed up of not being trusted ahead of park and rafael, in midfield.

But off course, let's paint it as if he's the entitled brat thinking he's too good for us.
You are making up your own narrative here...you have an opinion which is fair enough.

I just don't see how the facts back it up...that's all.

steffyr2

Is it fair to compare Pogba to an 18 year old Ronaldo? There is a marked difference in how they were treated by Sir Alex at Utd. Ronaldo goes immediately into the 1st team; Pogba isn't given a chance.

Pogba, now anyway, just stands out as an incredible talent. One where you don't have to be footballing genius, which Sir Alex was, to see what was there.

Seems like Sir Alex was always a bit weird about the midfield position, willing to play just about anyone there (38 yo Giggs!) rather than trust that position to someone new.

Last edited:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

He went to a club that was willing to show him faith, instead of waiting for an opportunity that might never come.

Clubs are so ever willing to get rid of young players failing to show promise. It's a dog eat dog world now and I can't blame a player for choosing to look out for themself.

Again, the fact that he went to a club with Pirlo, Vidal et al showed that his intentions were football related. I have the same level of respect for that guy who left City for Dortmund(Sancho). It's not about the money but rather self development.

Mr PG

Sir Alex employed a football style that was suited and worked for him with quite average players. We watched as city got Yaya... Silva and Chelsea got hazard etc. hence Mourinho’s comment that opponents adapted but United didn’t and hence our being overtaken by rivals. Pogba suited to a 3 man midfield especially at the time and Ferguson always played 2 except in big European games. Then there’s the generation gap

Jib

Buffon :

‘When he came we didn’t know him but after only three or four training sessions we were impressed by his enormous qualities.

‘My team-mates and me looked at each other as if to say, “Are they blind in Manchester?”.’

------

He was putting in MOM performances every week in Italy during his first season. After less than 6 months, he put Marchisio on the bench and was called by Deschamps ( he started the 2 games and never left the squad since then...)

His 2nd cap in march 2013 ( World Cup qualifiers 2014 ) against Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso...

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
That frustrated the hell out of me too. Particularly when we got Birtles as part of the transfer triangle!
Was only 17 at the time but selling Andy broke my heart, local lad, hat-tricks already against Leeds Utd and Tottenham as a teenager.

How his career paned out ie. no International recognition suggest Dave Sexton got it right, but at the time.....

Garry Birtles, no comment, decent guy though