Why did we buy Fred?

Mainoldo

Nah, they signed one of the best talents in Germany for that role.
He just needs time to adapt to the league.
I hear you. We’re just waiting for our signings to adapt to United. So we are kind of in the same boat. Just a couple league position below. But I follow.

haram

I find it funny how we want to laugh and joke about a manager and team that is making shit look like diamonds whilst all our players look like shit on wheels. But it’s an agenda lol.

You’d think we where doing something right.
Your agenda is the only joke here.

ash_86

If we want to get the ball to Martial quickly, then Fred is the guy to do it. He could transform us if played effectively.

haram

If we want to get the ball to Martial quickly, then Fred is the guy to do it. He could transform us if played effectively.
To get the very best out of Martial we need to try get him isolated 1v1 against the fullback. The sad thing is that if that side of the pitch gets crowded we dont have an option on the right to switch play to. We have the player in Pogba to accurately switch play as well which is a shame.

Smores

I find it funny how we want to laugh and joke about a manager and team that is making shit look like diamonds whilst all our players look like shit on wheels. But it’s an agenda lol.

You’d think we where doing something right.
What has Fred being correctly phased in got to do with any of that though?

Just so you understand the reason people are calling it an agenda isn't because everything is okay, it's because you've picked up a non-issue and you're running with it as a criticism. Not everything is an issue, some things we can be doing correctly whilst still being poor overall

ash_86

To get the very best out of Martial we need to try get him isolated 1v1 against the fullback. The sad thing is that if that side of the pitch gets crowded we dont have an option on the right to switch play to. We have the player in Pogba to accurately switch play as well which is a shame.
Yeah, that's what i meant. That's the reason a proper RW is a must for us in the next window. I don't know if Rashford or Sanchez could do that role on right.

Mainoldo

What has Fred being correctly phased in got to do with any of that though?

Just so you understand the reason people are calling it an agenda isn't because everything is okay, it's because you've picked up a non-issue and you're running with it as a criticism. Not everything is an issue, some things we can be doing correctly whilst still being poor overall
Absolutely nothing. But neither does Keita or Fabinho to my original point. Fred’s Disappearing act which is what the thread was about has nothing to do with Fred adjusting to the league or team (in my opinion) reason being he’s played exactly the same from Leicester to now.

Anything else I don’t care for but if your going to question me about something i will answer it. Which is why I’ve spent 2 pages reply to be people trying to get across that I don’t like Mourinho. It’s pretty obvious I don’t like him. But I wasn’t discussing that originally.

Last edited:

EireRed_GS

I like how he moves the ball quite quickly. Plays a good give and go game.. Exactly what we need at the moment to get our players moving more. He hasn't had Jose's conservative approach drilled into him completely yet. (probably why hes always left on the bench)

I'd love to see him involved a whole lot more, but getting the feeling this has the hallmarks of another player being left in the cold and struggling to take off under jose.

Last edited:

PieCrust

Fred has played well in his few appearances. We need to be playing a 3 man midfield in any case. A midfield of 2 consisting of Matic and Pogba doesn't play to Pogba's strengths and Matic can't play the DM role by himself at this point or at least this season.

I don't think Matic has been as bad as the schtick he gets on the caf, but I do think we should be giving a 3 of Pogba, Fred and Herrera for now. This gives us a lot more energy in the midfield. Then just rotate the best 3 in-form attackers up front. We don't have a target man type of ST, no matter how much Jose wants Lukaku to be his next Drogba, that just isn't his game.

baywatchfan

Fred's first half performance is one of the worst I've seen in football...

Ekeke

Then you should watch the rest of the team. At least he made 4 tackles and 1 interception. We wouldnt have had any of the ball without him. Some of his passing came off, some didnt but he was trying to be positive. And then an embarrassing dive at the end of the half.

Not good, but in a half where almost everyone was poor other than Martial and Shaw, Fred was the least of our problems.

the_irish123

He created nice chances with passes and missed a goal, but at least he was in position to score. What did he do to be awful? A foul which wasn't a foul?

El Zoido

He’s been fairly decent for the most part. Definitely one of the more promising aspects of that first half.

Kag

He’s erratic but I’m beginning to see why we bought him. I think he’d look like a player in a decent team.

AngliaRed

He’s had a good half. Won lots of second balls and looked full of energy. Carried Matic so far, Who’s been slow and appears to be running on sand.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You must be watching the wrong game. The miss aside he's been our best player. Won the ball back high up the pitch several times, moved the ball quickly and played te delight throughballs to Mata and Sanchez; Mata was offside but Sanchez was not.

Ekeke

Imagine if he was playing with Ander helping him win the ball, instead of Matic who is just watching.

snk123

He's not been the best player. He's lost the ball a lot of times and hasn't made the right choice continuously going to Mata. But the quality is there - just needs to hold the ball longer

Redo91

Thought he was really good up until the miss. Wasn’t great after that mind. Offers good energy and decent passer. Best of the midfielders. Far better than Matic who has been beyond poor.

HailtotheKing

I thought Fred was actually one of our better performers. He added energy and bite. Without that we’d be buried right now.

Greck

Our whole transfer policy is to buy players blindly hoping the next one is the one that finally unlocks the whole team. Had Jose been refused Fred he would be swearing left and right this signing was the missing piece. Of course that not to say this was a bad transfer because I actually like Fred and think he'll eventually be great for us

James Peril

Utterly ridiculous thing to say, based on what exactly? The red card? The two penalties and own-goal he gave away? Oh, none of that happened did it. Joke.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Our whole transfer policy is to buy players blindly hoping the next one is the one that finally unlocks the whole team. Had Jose been refused Fred he would be swearing left and right this signing was the missing piece. Of course that not to say this was a bad transfer because I actually like Fred and think he'll eventually be great for us
Then what the feck was your point? :lol:

baywatchfan

We've lowered the bar a lot apparently.
Made a lot of mistakes, missed a sitter, committed silly foul at the end of the 1st half... For a player that costs £52M he should be doing a lot better. I wonder if that free kick at the end of the first half had gone in and we hadn't equalized before would you be still thinking the same..

Greck

Then what the feck was your point? :lol:
Are you kidding me? I think he could be good under the next manager in an actual attacking system not under Mourinho. There are a lot of players I feel the same about in our squad. Things are never black and white. We can still salvage the signing under someone else

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I understand you lol. What was the point in this transfer. Just sign an Axel Witsel and be done with it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He was feeding Sanchez over and over. Not to mention he has made quite a few tackles.
Fred's positioning off the ball is frankly awful. He is almost a liability when paired with the barely mobile Matic from a defensive viewpoint.

He does bring buckets of energy to an otherwise static midfield, though.

Mick321

Was very poor, as usual but I'll wait to judge players until we get a proper manager.