Why didn't we sign a right-winger?

Trequarista10

Awaiting the bombshell in a months time that actually Antony prefers to play off the left, just like every other wide forward we sign or bring through.
Rest assured, Antony is a legit right winger. Which, rejoins, means more of Sancho from the left.

Boondog

I'm pretty confident that Sancho will be much better on the left where he won't be as predictable.
Sancho just needs to play more aggressive. He backs off way too much. Push it and good things will happen.

Oh and before someone says "that's what she said" let me say you must do better than that. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m confused about this too. Has Sancho ever said he prefers to play on the left? Because he swaps sides a fair bit and has never looked much better on the left than he does on the right.
Closest I could find is Rangnick saying:

"I think he would prefer a little bit the left side, because he can then switch inside and have a go on goal or shoot on goal with his strong foot."

But that could just be Rangnick's opinion. All I've seen Sancho say is the standard "I don't mind where I play as long as I'm playing" stuff.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Closest I could find is Rangnick saying:

"I think he would prefer a little bit the left side, because he can then switch inside and have a go on goal or shoot on goal with his strong foot."

But that could just be Rangnick's opinion. All I've seen Sancho say is the standard "I don't mind where I play as long as I'm playing" stuff.
Sancho was never a right wing player and was utilised mostly on the left coming through the ranks. Even his youth coaches have gone on record and said he's best utilised on the left. At Dortmund it was Hakimi the RWB providing the threat on the wing and controlled the wide space on the right. Sancho occupied mostly the half spaces in Favre's wingback formation and was more akin to a attacking midfielder than a winger. I did mention that on numerous occasions at the time but most on here were sold on Sancho being a right winger, when it was clear he wasn't. And the way he was utilised at Dortmund was very different to what Solskjaer wanted from him, and the blame isn't the 'weak' Bundesliga but rather failing to understand how he was utilised in a method of play that sacrificed defensive stability for goals, which gave Sancho ample opportunity to link and combine with team mates due to the volume of players involved in the opposing half.

And it wasn't only Rangnick who mentioned that he prefers playing on the left, but Solskjaer as well, who said he prefers the left and I did share the relevant tweets at the time.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can't wait for Tony to ask to be played on the left
Antony is a right winger and is naturally left footed which means he's a fit for the right side, where he can occupy both the half space and wide space (ten Hag dependant) which would allow the fullback to either go on the overlap stretching play in the wide space or tuck inside and occupy the half space which would allow Antony to then occupy a wider berth.

That brings about a tactical flexibility and positional rotation potential which has been non existent for a while imo. Antony is potentially a superb signing and provides a balance that has been missing for too long on the right side imo.

Last edited:

World Game

First real right winger we’ve signed since SAF in my eyes. Right footed wingers end up better on the left. Left footed wingers end up better on the right. It’s not rocket science.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We've now signed one 2 summers in a row.
:D we did. And both times players that nobody else was competing for, paying more than they are worth.

I hope Antony works out much better than whatever we have seen from Sancho. And I hope Sancho also improves

Bokito

I’m confused about this too. Has Sancho ever said he prefers to play on the left? Because he swaps sides a fair bit and has never looked much better on the left than he does on the right.
TBH: I don't care what Sancho says he prefers. It's where the manager thinks he's best for the team.

Skills

Snitch
TBH: I don't care what Sancho says he prefers. It's where the manager thinks he's best for the team.
What if the manager's wrong? As they have been. For the last 10 years. Repeatedly.

If there's one thing we've learnt over the last 10 years, it's that our managers can barely challenge a golden retriever when it comes to common sense and intelligence

Last edited:

footballbite

You just have to watch him play to see he prefers the left - in the first couple of games this season even though he was supposed to be on the right he kept on popping up on the left hand side when he wasn't meant to and crowding out Rashford. He clearly has had to be given more strict instructions to hold his position in the last couple of games. The same thing happened when he was supposed to play on the right last season as well, he kept abandoning it.

Meanwhile, when he starts on the left, although he cuts in on his right foot you never find him by choice popping up on the right wing when he's not meant to be.
Because his pace isn't often enough to beat the full-back round the outside, and his left foot is alright but not great, being on the left opens up more of the pitch for him to operate in and his natural instinct is to head there when he can.

justsomebloke

82 + 73 is not really all that close to 200.
If you inlcude the add-ons? Anyway, not important - just making the observations that not only have we bought right wingers in consecutive years, we've bought extremely expensive ones.