Why do Irish fans hate the English national team so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I don't get it.

Many Irish people on here support Manchester United, an English club from England, with several players in the current England squad.

I'm not English but I support England because that's where the club I support is based.

If the hate against England is so strong why not support an Írish club instead?

TsuWave

United is it’s own entity, and has had many Irish players.

I assume they don’t like England for historical reasons. England has a past riddled with tyrannical acts.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't get it either. We even have some Irish eligible players in the squad - Grealish, Kane, Rice, Maguire.

All turned them down to play for the mighty Ingerland, of course.

Bitter chips if you ask me.

BorisDeLeFora

Most Irish football fans support foreign clubs like Man United, Liverpool, Celtic, and Rangers.

They will tell you those clubs are separate from the national teams, fair enough.

But you would wonder why you'd support one team and hate another because of where you're from, but can't appropriate that to club football, who knows.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Thierry Henry. He spent the best years of his career at Arsenal. He's basically English.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Pretty much everyone hates the English.

It's nothing to do with awful historical acts and mostly jealousy of our cuisine,. good looks and weather.
not to mention the goldilocks girth most foreign women go mad for. not too small, not too big, just right.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot of United fans may live in the city of Liverpool and like some Liverpudlians. It doesn't stop them from disliking Liverpool the football team. Football is built on intensely disliking other teams for obscure reasons, even if that team represents some people you do like.

And in competitions like this (where Ireland aren't involved, as is so often the case) it's more fun to have someone to back against. People who complain about football fans disliking other football teams are killjoys, really.

The conflict between supporting United and disliking the English football team is similar to the conflict between supporting players when they play for England but then disliking them when they play for City/Liverpool. It's just how football works. Might as well ask English United fans why they didn't want Liverpool to win their CL finals given they're an English side full of players from the national team they support representing England against a club from another country.

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

I don't get it.

Many Irish people on here support Manchester United, an English club from England, with several players in the current England squad.

I'm not English but I support England because that's where the club I support is based.

I suggest you read a history book . It will become very apparent very quickly . I Certainly dont hate England or the English quite the opposite actually I spend alot of Holiday time in the North of England as I have Family there .

To answer your Questions about the clubs Ireland has great ties with both Manchester and Liverpool stemming back with people leaving Ireland for work and because Of Poverty in Ireland , both those cities being Geographically pretty close made sense as did birmingham and London which also have large Irish communities . The Roots between Manchester and Ireland with players goes way back too. When I was a kid it was United , Liverpool or Everton to support the odd kid liked Chelsea or spurs but it was mostly United or Liverpool.

I have a team here but the league is pretty poor as all the best players go to england , we are a small nation and the most popular sports are Gaelic games ( hurling and Gaelic football ) . Rugby is very popular too and we have teams competing to win European cups so That waters down football support too.

Its more imo just a bit of fun to watch england Fail ( the old enemy in a kinda tongue in cheek way ) its just ABE similiar to ABUs in fergie era .

Good luck in the final and lets be honest well deserved and a long time coming. but for the Craic we will all be cheering on Italy .

phenry

Im Irish so I might be able to provide a bit of insight. A lot of over people would site historical reasons on why we shouldn't support England but there's more than that. English media and English attitudes to their football team can be a bit off-putting. Theres an arrogance that at least until recently was not backed up by quality or balanced with a touch of humble realism. Its hard to listen to sometimes

mckenic

Why do English fans hate the German national team so much?

(BTW Delighted they are in the final - congrats. Great for the United lads.)

Withnail

I suggest you read a history book . It will become very apparent very quickly . I Certainly dont hate England or the English quite the opposite actually I spend alot of Holiday time in the North of England as I have Family there .

To answer your Questions about the clubs Ireland has great ties with both Manchester and Liverpool stemming back with people leaving Ireland for work and because Of Poverty in Ireland , both those cities being Geographically pretty close made sense as did birmingham and London which also have large Irish communities . The Roots between Manchester and Ireland with players goes way back too. When I was a kid it was United , Liverpool or Everton to support the odd kid liked Chelsea or spurs but it was mostly United or Liverpool.

I have a team here but the league is pretty poor as all the best players go to england , we are a small nation and the most popular sports are Gaelic games ( hurling and Gaelic football ) . Rugby is very popular too and we have teams competing to win European cups so That waters down football support too.

Its more imo just a bit of fun to watch england Fail ( the old enemy in a kinda tongue in cheek way ) its just ABE similiar to ABUs in fergie era .

Good luck in the final and lets be honest well deserved and a long time coming. but for the Craic we will all be cheering on Italy .
Well said!

Kopral Jono

I don't get it.

I get what you mean, and like you as a non-English United fan I personally have always wanted England to at least not crash and burn in major tournaments for as long as I remember (though not fussed either way), but why should the Irish want the national team of a country who had oppressed them for centuries to do well? Historical context play a huge part in these things.

stevoc

I don't get it.

Liverpool FC is based in the same country as United, Man City are even from the same city as United. Surely you should support them too?

El Zoido

Who gives a feck what Irish fans think, honestly. They get more joy out of England failing than their own team winning, it’s amazingly pathetic but I won’t begrudge them their moment if Italy win the final.

Red_toad

It’s just the vocal ones who make it seem that way. I’m happy wishing United’s English contingent the best of luck. If England win the tournament, it will bother my life to zero effect. I don’t get why people need to spew crap about other nations football team, its weird tribalism.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm English and I hate the English national team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s just the vocal ones who make it seem that way. I’m happy wishing United’s English contingent the best of luck. If England win the tournament, it will bother my life to zero effect. I don’t get why people need to spew crap about other nations football team, its weird tribalism.
"It's weird tribalism" could be applied as a description to football generally. Some of the most intense (and fun) football rivalries are literally based on a team being nearby.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s just the usual sporting schadenfreude at this point. I don’t think Nationalism really comes into it at all really. When we are playing each other then feck yeah but most Irish people would be just as happy to see England win as lose. We get a laugh and some entertainment either way!

kirk buttercup

Who gives a feck what Irish fans think, honestly. They get more joy out of England failing than their own team winning, it’s amazingly pathetic but I won’t begrudge them their moment if Italy win the final.
No we really really really like seeing our team win . Just watch any youtube video of When Ireland Qualify, Ireland Goes bananas. We just dont win all that much in Football.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Who can forget Healy’s hat trick v Spain - they were happy then.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why do English fans hate the German national team so much?

(BTW Delighted they are in the final - congrats. Great for the United lads.)
Memories of getting up at 6am on holiday and heading to the pool only to find towels and German flags on every sunbed you see.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Are you talking about Pogue? I bet you're talking about Pogue.

Lelouch geass

Not sure about Irish but other countries also hate English national team equally especially due to their media, not playing well for so many years with star players and overating themselves much. Apart from that I am sick of that this forum is only for English fans than mainly United fans. Just a note I was also supporting England at WC so I dont hate England.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Memories of getting up at 6am on holiday and heading to the pool only to find towels and German flags on every sunbed you see.
To be fair this annoys everyone about the German people on holidays.

Passive aggressive holiday payback for the world wars? That’s what the rest of you get for drinking too much and staying in bed after 7am :nono:

Hey guys, Ireland was neutral, any chance of a lounger? :lol:

Siorac

Pretty much everyone hates the English.

It's nothing to do with awful historical acts and mostly jealousy of our cuisine,. good looks and weather.
And the non-stop footballing success, of course.

SteveCoppellFan

Its not just the Irish ...

Seems everyone hates the England National side apart from the English obviously.

Probably has something to do with the rubbish the English media sprout out before and during every big tournament and then even more rubbish after they have been knocked out for the last 55 years.

Im Welsh and I would not mind them actually beating Italy and actually winning something for a change, Im 51 and tired of their constant BS over the years :)

At the end of the day .. Im a footie fan and if England deserve to beat Italy then congrats to them.

Saying that .. If England win then Southgate is just the most undeserving manager ever, awfully negative imo, England could play so much better.

Oranges038

We are a tribal bunch.

We hate the next town over, simply because it's the next town over, it's mostly to do with local GAA team rivalries. This works upward to neighbouring counties in GAA, doesn't matter who they are playing we almost almost always want the other team to win, except Dublin, nearly the whole country outside of Dublin hates seeing Dublin win. You can work this upward to provinces in rugby, even though neighbouring counties in Munster have their own rivalries it gets put aside when the province is playing.

You just bring that same tribalusm then to neighbouring countries in other sports. England is just the next country over.

No Love

Perhaps most alarming is the suggestion that hatred of the English national team is exclusive to the Irish. I reject that notion entirely. Rest assured, the English national team and their supporters are despised on a far more widespread scale than that. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.