Why do we care so much about a top 4 finish?

Miktercastus

I would imagine that alot of our sponsers and commercial deals are possible due to the fact we can 'show off' their brands at the highest level.

Also as most have pointed out it helps attract the right kind of players or at least should do

RedDevil@84

It's a really strange concept to attribute a fourth place finish to be a success, so why do we do it?
Because something is better than nothing. Finishing in top 4 is better than finishing 5th, 6th or 7th. It is as simple as a race. You don't want to finish the last among your peers. Would rather be as far as away from last.

I understand that the champions league brings with it a global prestige that can attract players to the club, or excuse those that might want to leave. But we are Manchester United, we shouldn't struggle to attract the level of player required to compete.
Players value playing in CL a lot. Nowadays most big clubs have loads of money. So the differentiating factors could be club location and CL. Being in Manchester, we cant really complete with Arsenal and Chelsea on location. So it is CL + Money that we could fight over. Obviously, some players wouldn't want one without the other.

And we have loads of money because we are somewhere near the top spots most of the time. If we keep going down consistently, all the money will start vanishing sooner or later

Swift Football

It's a really strange concept to attribute a fourth place finish to be a success, so why do we do it?

I understand that the champions league brings with it a global prestige that can attract players to the club, or excuse those that might want to leave. But we are Manchester United, we shouldn't struggle to attract the level of player required to compete.

I understand that there is a reasonable financial reward that comes with champions league qualification. But we are Manchester United, surely our off-the-field marketing success should compensate for this comfortably.

I understand that, as fans, we want to see our club in contest with the very best on the planet. But we are Manchester United, we should be the very best and all others should be desperate to challenge us.

Obviously the last point is tongue-in-cheek, and i hope this doesn't come across as entitlementism. But beyond the irony there is a serious point. We aren't competing against the top sides in this country under Mourinho, let alone the cream of Europe. We should, of course, be striving to win the champions league, all teams should, but why are we so desperate to get there when we know that we aren't ready?

I remember under Rodgers a few seasons back, Liverpool rested key players in a trip to Real Madrid because of an upcoming top 4 showdown with Chelsea. What's the point of trying to get there if you don't feel that you can compete? I'd rather a successful Europa campaign and competing for actual trophies than this champions league qualification snobbery that seems rife in the younger generation of supporter.

I don't care where we finish in the league now. The title is gone and anything else is failure.
Dont want to say this but I find this post kind of stupid. Aren't the reasons "so obvious" why Top 4 is crucial.

We are Man United - but if we keep on singing our past laurels without doing nothing - it does not take long to slide off. To start with, many south americans prefer to play in Spain, rather than England. Yes, we are Man United, but we are no Real or Barca of late, and the very best players tend to wish to play for the likes of Real and Barca rather than us.

Isnt it common sense that everybody wants to be playing and testing against the best teams in europe in CL. Where Chelsea 'ready' when they won CL in 2011/12 when they finished on 6th position in the league?

Regarding Europa, Sevilla won it for 3 consecutive seasons before we did, so does that make them better than Juventus?

worldinmotion66

Dont want to say this but I find this post kind of stupid. Aren't the reasons "so obvious" why Top 4 is crucial.

We are Man United - but if we keep on singing our past laurels without doing nothing - it does not take long to slide off. To start with, many south americans prefer to play in Spain, rather than England. Yes, we are Man United, but we are no Real or Barca of late, and the very best players tend to wish to play for the likes of Real and Barca rather than us.

Isnt it common sense that everybody wants to be playing and testing against the best teams in europe in CL. Where Chelsea 'ready' when they won CL in 2011/12 when they finished on 6th position in the league?

Regarding Europa, Sevilla won it for 3 consecutive seasons before we did, so does that make them better than Juventus?
Football is about winning trophies, no player will look back and proudly boast finishing in the top four for five consecutive seasons.

Sevilla are progressing nicely having made the jump to the Champions League latter stages this year. Do you think Buffon would trade three Europa League medals for his Champions League final appearances? Obviously he wouldn't trade his time at Juventus with Sevilla

Swift Football

Football is about winning trophies, no player will look back and proudly boast finishing in the top four for five consecutive seasons.

Sevilla are progressing nicely having made the jump to the Champions League latter stages this year. Do you think Buffon would trade three Europa League medals for his Champions League final appearances? Obviously he wouldn't trade his time at Juventus with Sevilla
Ur logic = = Lets get relegated and win Championship every alternate year!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am sure Juventus would not trade their CL final match with 3 europa titles.

worldinmotion66

Ur logic = = Lets get relegated and win Championship every alternate year!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am sure Juventus would not trade their CL final match with 3 europa titles.
Comparing CL/Europa with PL/Championship is everything that is wrong with modern football. Before European football was rebranded, every game in Europe was a big deal. To win the Cup Winners Cup was a big deal. To win the FA Cup was a big deal.

I don't think the CL is the be all and end all of football, every competition has it's worth. I'd love us to be winning the CL again but we are nowhere near it, and I don't see how finishing fourth is an accomplishment. The prize of winning the league and becoming champions should result in competing in the Champions League, no other team should be rewarded in this way.

Nikelesh Reddy

I understand that there is a reasonable financial reward that comes with champions league qualification. But we are Manchester United, surely our off-the-field marketing success should compensate for this comfortably.

I understand that, as fans, we want to see our club in contest with the very best on the planet. But we are Manchester United, we should be the very best and all others should be desperate to challenge us.

Obviously the last point is tongue-in-cheek, and i hope this doesn't come across as entitlementism. But beyond the irony there is a serious point. We aren't competing against the top sides in this country under Mourinho, let alone the cream of Europe. We should, of course, be striving to win the champions league, all teams should, but why are we so desperate to get there when we know that we aren't ready?

I remember under Rodgers a few seasons back, Liverpool rested key players in a trip to Real Madrid because of an upcoming top 4 showdown with Chelsea. What's the point of trying to get there if you don't feel that you can compete? I'd rather a successful Europa campaign and competing for actual trophies than this champions league qualification snobbery that seems rife in the younger generation of supporter.

I don't care where we finish in the league now. The title is gone and anything else is failure.
Nah,4-5 seasons out of the CL and the top top players wouldn't want to touch us with a barge pole.I don't really care about the financial rewards(that's for the executives to worry about) but I just love to watch us play CL football.Its one of the greatest thrills that any supporter can have,to see your team come up against the best in Europe on a Wednesday night.Plus it's a trophy that is comfortably as big,if not bigger than the League...I would be devastated if we go 2-3 seasons without the CL....We just have to keep qualifying for the CL season after season....

Nikelesh Reddy

Nah,4-5 seasons out of the CL and the top top players wouldn't want to touch us with a barge pole.I don't really care about the financial rewards(that's for the executives to worry about) but I just love to watch us play CL football.Its one of the greatest thrills that any supporter can have,to see your team come up against the best in Europe on a Wednesday night.Plus it's a trophy that is comfortably as big,if not bigger than the League...I would be devastated if we go 2-3 seasons without the CL....We just have to keep qualifying for the CL season after season....

buckooo1978

whilst top 4 is a more recent 'achievement' in relative terms it represents success in a number of ways;

1. in a season where City are fantastic and the rest are pretty good, finishing top 4 represents progress

2. status - the best teams play in the CL.... we should be in that group

3. money....spending the way we do and paying our wages its useful to have that input so we can buy our next shiny thing

4. top players want to play in top competitions

5. fixtures....no one likes Thursday Sunday do they

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
whilst top 4 is a more recent achievement in relative terms it represents success in a number of ways;

1. in a season where City are fantastic and the rest are pretty good, finishing top 4 represents progress

2. status - the best teams play in the CL.... we should be in that group

3. money....spending the way we do and paying our wages its useful to have that input so we can buy our next shiny thing

4. top players want to play in top competitions

5. fixtures....no one likes Thursday Sunday do they
Perfectly summed up really. It's a measure of quality. If you finish higher up than Spurs or Liverpool, you are very likely doing something right. Something that indicates you are not far off. That in itself is something to take seriously. The status point is also weirdly ignored by some. Whether we like it or not, the CL is the place to be for most people involved in football. It is where legends are built and where the best players make their name. It is also where brands and profile are enhanced. You might disagree with it but you cannot bury your head in the sand when this is simply the current reality.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I know you mean well, but it does come across as being entitled.

We aren't entitled to jack shit. The mindset of "first or bust" is a horrible mentality for a fan.
Agree 100%, and if you can't enjoy your team play in the Champions League then you don't really enjoy watching your team on the biggest European stage then I don't know why you follow football.

ghagua

Comparing CL/Europa with PL/Championship is everything that is wrong with modern football. Before European football was rebranded, every game in Europe was a big deal. To win the Cup Winners Cup was a big deal. To win the FA Cup was a big deal.

I don't think the CL is the be all and end all of football, every competition has it's worth. I'd love us to be winning the CL again but we are nowhere near it, and I don't see how finishing fourth is an accomplishment. The prize of winning the league and becoming champions should result in competing in the Champions League, no other team should be rewarded in this way.
Finishing in top 4 is not an accomplishment for United with the goals that we have, but a necessity. If you don't understand that, there is no point in anyone trying to change your mind. As for winning the league again, I fear we have a long wait for that to happen again.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
beyond the obvious of a champions league place, its a measure of how well you've done, big teams like us the minimum ask is champions league qualification.

For me this season anything other then 2nd is a failure, we have on paper the second best team and squad in the league and if we don't at least live up to that we have underachieved.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
It does actually come across as entitlement and that's a dangerous mindset.

I'm sure Liverpool fans used to feel the exact same way and some probably still do.
We do. Or a certain generation of us do. We expect to big in Champions League ( I even find it hard calling it that ) every season no matter how shit we are . We feel we should be there and I guess United fans feel the same.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
To me, there’s no difference in coming 2nd or 10th.

Neither won it and neither have anything to celebrate.

Being in the Champions League is nothing to celebrate. If you’re struggling for top 4, chances are you don’t stand a chance against the Elite.

I get your first point but you are speaking out of your arse mate. Your second point I get too but Liverpool proved in 2005 that it can be done.

flappyjay

Even if we get beat I still like seeing us play the top European teams. So far this ucl season has been boring for him because we Have only played sides everyone expects us to beat.

Member 5225

Who are we again?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I enjoy watching us play on those Tuesday/Wednesday nights against top European teams. :) Don't really care if we have a low chance of winning the whole thing, though if we were able to compete against the very best that'd be even more fun.

L1nk

What even is this post? I'm not even sure this requires an answer, but if you want a simple one, It's because if we don't get top 4 and no cups then we are going backwards from last season, which i'm pretty sure nobody wants to see.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Its a cup competition where the best team doesn't necessarily win. See Chelsea, Liverpool and even Inter to a certain extent. Its like rolling a pair of dice, you don't know what you're going to get, if you get Barca at the top of their form then you're luck is off. But if you get a easy run you can get very close to glory. But not qualifying for the CL means you don't even get to roll the dice.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The best teams play in the champions league.

How can we compare ourselves to Real Madrid, Bayern etc if we don't even make the top competitions? crazy. Nothing to do with money.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
simple
because the CL is the biggest and most important team competition, it allows you not only to receive a lot of money, but also a prestige that no other competition can give you

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not winning the title is a failure for a club like United, not qualifying for the CL is the failure of failures for a club like United. Pressure to win is consistent with being a big club, if you lose that pressure you are not a big club anymore. The pressure to win isn't an excuse to not develop players, you don't need to put a handful of inexperienced players at the same time on the field, no one does that, developing players means giving time to young players in a competitive team, a club like United will have most of the time 11 better individuals than 60% of PL teams, if we had a unit that was actually strong, one or two young players could easily be given a chance without hampering our chances to win.

ValenciaRocks

I think the original poster answered his own question.

We have no right to be in the champions league but we do have to earn it.

Personally I think Mourinho is doing the same as last season. He (perhaps secretly) believes that we have conceded any title aspirations and that we will preserve all energy for Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if towards the end of the season, even if it's still close, that Mourinho will rest players for the CL providing we are still there.

Last edited by a moderator: