Why do we expect our full backs to take on the opposite full back?

Skills

Snitch
A massive pet peeve of mine going back to the times of Valencia. Why do we always end up isolating our full backs 1v1 against the other teams full backs? Even the best attacking full backs aren't expected to take on there man like prime Giggs and then whip in a cross.

Surely in the attacking half you want them running onto the ball for a quick cross or a cut back?

Eddy_JukeZ

To be fair, I have seen less of this under Ole compared to Jose.

But expecting AWB and Shaw to conjure up moments of magic should never happen. Should be fully eradicated

Nickelodeon

The lack of overlaps pisses me off. Last night, I can hardly remember any instance where Rashford had the ball and Williams made any run which either took a defender and created a gap or was played through to cross. Considering the amount of possession we had, we needed more running from everyone especially the FBs.

PieCrust

Our FB's just aren't good at attacking against anyone. The best you can hope for is (if they don't just pass it backward to a CB) is for them to attempt the bi-line, then slam if off the defender for a corner. Then Bruno won't beat the first man with the corner and we'll have to defend a counter attack.

It also seems even when the FB does make the run and has no one around them, no one can pick them out. Our problem has been lately that we just move the ball around way too slow. There is no sense of urgency and it we aren't allowed to begin an attacking without involving both CB's on the ball first. Then Pogba will continue to sit so deep that it's like playing with 3 in the back. It's ridiculous.

arnie_ni

The lack of overlaps pisses me off. Last night, I can hardly remember any instance where Rashford had the ball and Williams made any run which either took a defender and created a gap or was played through to cross. Considering the amount of possession we had, we needed more running from everyone especially the FBs.
The one time he did greenwood almost scored. The one time tfm did, he was offside but it was a great ball in.

Just doesnt happen regularly

Web of Bissaka

Our FBs did enough overlapping, consistent and balance.

Under Ole, I have no issues with the FBs overlapping. Shaw is a problem earlier season (Ole also mentioned it iirc circa Williams breaking through) but that's no longer a problem. It's not overlapping that are the problems here. Sometimes they cross, sometimes they cut-back, and sometimes they move closer to have a go at goals. No issues. The real issues lie elsewhere on the receiving end of the FB's services.

I don't get OP. It's not always. Isn't it natural FBs facing the opposite FBs 1-on-1 very often in games? Okay, if that is really a trolling OP then well played. And if we really remember the many games and the moments -- our FBs can at times beat the other FBs, however this is rare because the other FBs have support from teammates, rarely being isolated. Even our best wingers did not always dribble past easily vs their FBs, and they are suppose to be better in attacking than our FBs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A massive pet peeve of mine going back to the times of Valencia. Why do we always end up isolating our full backs 1v1 against the other teams full backs? Even the best attacking full backs aren't expected to take on there man like prime Giggs and then whip in a cross.

Surely in the attacking half you want them running onto the ball for a quick cross or a cut back?
You do. And that takes well timed runs from the fullback. Which Shaw has been doing very well since restart. Our other fullbacks not so much. It’s a confidence thing. AWB and Williams are both in their first season, so will be desperate to avoid getting caught out of position. Don’t forget that Robertson took a while to settle at Liverpool before he started showing what he can do in attack.

Web of Bissaka

I recall enough overlaps made by Williams, TFM and AWB.

Realistically they have to be more cautious since once they did, teammates tend to lose possession easily. We were losing possession too easily in that game - imagine if the FBs care feck and just overlapped always, then we conceded goals, they'll get scrutinized and blamed. I remember Williams made good runs but Rashford couldn't connect his passes to Williams, West Ham did great job blocking the passes and unsettle Rashford.

It's the tactics we use. We play to get 5 attackers facing up to 4 defenders, our front 3 plus the two fullbacks, with Bruno and Pogba behind them looking for passes. Our fullbacks' job is to pin the opposition fullbacks wide so there are gaps for the spare man to run through, and sometimes that spare man is one of them. We don't need them to be taking players on all the time - look at how reluctant we are to play crosses. We know they're easy to defend against with our strikers. We try to get any one of the front 5 through and then the others run on to link up with them, but obviously it's preferable to have Rashford, Martial or Greenwood breaking through the defence over Shaw or AWB, so it's ok for them to sit out on the touchline occupying a defender.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure we expect it all the time, I have seen Shaw making so many overlapping runs and was in good space to cross or cut back.

Also its not even uncommon to expect your FBs to take on players, Ricardo Pereira takes on players so many times, Marcelo just beats players for fun, Evra used to be fantastic dribbler.

Our FBs gets lot of space but lack of quality at least in final passes has been a big issue.

Nickelodeon

I recall enough overlaps made by Williams, TFM and AWB.

Realistically they have to be more cautious since once they did, teammates tend to lose possession easily. We were losing possession too easily in that game - imagine if the FBs care feck and just overlapped always, then we conceded goals, they'll get scrutinized and blamed. I remember Williams made good runs but Rashford couldn't connect his passes to Williams, West Ham did great job blocking the passes and unsettle Rashford.
Disagree with you here mate. I don't think that there were enough overlaps last night or across the season from our FBs. Whenever they do happen, Shaw is usually the one whose driving runs are the most effective.

Ultimately, what I feel is that when teams like West Ham park the bus against us, it becomes easy for them to be narrow and let us dominate possession. We have to push extra numbers ahead and I would like the fullbacks to show more responsibility in attacks as well.

DRM

Exactly what I was thinking last night and even against the palace game.

TFM had loads of room in the right...could we not have moved Rashford for 5/10 mins on the right and see how it would work out? We're just so damn rigid sometimes.

Mr Smith

To be fair, Rashford and Shaw are actually quite good at this. Since the restart Rashford has been really diligent at holding the width, and he'll often thread a reverse pass or flick on to Shaw, or else make a run inside to leave space for Shaw. Martial does the same when he drifts over to the left.

On the right, Greenwood doesn't really have the discipline to hold the width; he's a goalscorer first and foremost, and tends to drift inside 40 yards from the opposition's goal. It's something that should improve once Sancho signs.

Ekeke

Seems like the idea is to push our fullbacks far up, leaving space behind them for the ball to be given to Rashford, Greenwood etc and to work the ball into a shooting position through the middle

El Zoido

It’s not bad coaching.. no way is the coaching staff encouraging our fullbacks to stand still to collect the ball. People are really braindead when criticising the coaching staff. So tiresome. Players have accountability as well, Luke Shaw is constantly looking for the run behind to maybe Ole and Mike Phelan are telling Shaw to do one thing and everyone else to do another. :rolleyes:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We don't play with wingers. We play with Rashford n Greenwood who are inside forwards (similar roles to Auba n Henry). So there IS an emphasis on the fullbacks to beat men and get crosses in actually.

Look at Liverpool. Salah n Mane are basically the same as what we have. They aren't proper wingers either. But their fullbacks are top top class. If we want to get to their level and continue to play 433 then we need better fullbacks. Been saying this all season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Exactly. And that's because Williams isn't a LB. He's a RB. Watch him when he plays on the right side. He overlaps a lot. On the left though, he likes to sit back and be a passing outlet because then it's more comfortable for him to turn to his preferred right foot. Just make the run. If he makes the run he doesn't have to get the ball. That run alone with pull a defender off Rashford and give him a 1 v 1...

Nickelodeon

Exactly. And that's because Williams isn't a LB. He's a RB. Watch him when he plays on the right side. He overlaps a lot. On the left though, he likes to sit back and be a passing outlet because then it's more comfortable for him to turn to his preferred right foot. Just make the run. If he makes the run he doesn't have to get the ball. That run alone with pull a defender off Rashford and give him a 1 v 1...
Right footed LB should work if the player is at least moderately two footed. Cutting inside every time is reminiscent of Ashley Young. As it is, for us, the most dangerous play comes when the FB comes is picking someone out from close range (a cutback or fizzed ball) rather than crossing from deep.

eltigreFalcao

I saw a couple of them, and Rashford misshit the passes on those ocassions. Is not all black or white, you know?

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't expect them to take on players per sé, but I do expect them to make overlapping runs more often even if it's just to create that extra yard for our wide forwards.

Nickelodeon

I saw a couple of them, and Rashford misshit the passes on those ocassions. Is not al black or white, you know?
Successful and occasional overlaps is what I was going for. Yes, Rashford missed a couple of chances to make a good ball but I would rather our FBs have a default nature of making runs rather than one-off movements. I know it will leave us defensively vulnerable but if we can't take that chance against West Ham at home then when would we try it.

eltigreFalcao

Successful and occasional overlaps is what I was going for. Yes, Rashford missed a couple of chances to make a good ball but I would rather our FBs have a default nature of making runs rather than one-off movements. I know it will leave us defensively vulnerable but if we can't take that chance against West Ham at home then when would we try it.
Fair enough.. as described by a poster earlier in this thread, Williams is becoming less effective on the left now that the earlier hype is moderate. But it is also a matter of what's being asked to the FBs by the manager, and, just as with other little tweaks, our team is missing this tactical set ups.

Skills

Snitch
I don't expect them to take on players per sé, but I do expect them to make overlapping runs more often even if it's just to create that extra yard for our wide forwards.
I think that's my point - I want them running onto the ball on the overlaps. Not get passed the ball to feet with the opposite full back in position and square him up.

If you find your full back in that position you may as well ask him to lob the ball back to his goalkeeper, and ask the team to try again.

Nickelodeon

Fair enough.. as described by a poster earlier in this thread, Williams is becoming less effective on the left now that the earlier hype is moderate. But it is also a matter of what's being asked to the FBs by the manager, and, just as with other little tweaks, our team is missing this tactical set ups.
On the topic of Williams, as good and professional he's been in what has been his breakout season, I'm not particularly sure on what he's good at? Offensively he's rarely shown enough. Defensively, he isn't solid in the AWB mold or even 70-80% of that and ends up picking a lot of bookings. So I'm sure he'll improve, but I'm not sure on what area I would specifically want him to improve upon. Right now, I would say everything.

Anustart89

Just as a comparison, I've never seen TAA 'beat a man', since he always crosses from a position much deeper than AWB usually finds himself in. TAA has that Beckham quality of crossing from deep that a) lets him cross uninterrupted, and b) lets him cross against an unsettled defence. Once AWB gets up to the side of the 18 yard box and attempts to beat a man, the other team's had time to get back and prepare for five seconds, pick up their men and communicate before the ball comes in.

eire-red

We're beginning to see patterns of play, Rashford and Shaw are developing a really good understanding down the left. Bruno and Martial often like to drift into the left channel as well between the full back and CB. Often creates a dangerous overload down that side.

Problem is, Greenwood likes to come short where he's most dangerous, and when that happens, AWB is often left isolated on the right. Now in this situation, you'd like to see Pogba make an effort to support AWB, but he doesn't often vacate those central areas.

You're right though in that we should see more supporting play and overlapping runs to help our full backs, and we also don't get enough bodies in the box on a consistent basis. Often, you see our entire front 4 stood along the 18 yard line and nobody making runs into the box. Makes it even more difficult for AWB and Shaw on the rare occasions they do manage to get in behind.

Andersons Dietician

We don't play with wingers. We play with Rashford n Greenwood who are inside forwards (similar roles to Auba n Henry). So there IS an emphasis on the fullbacks to beat men and get crosses in actually.

Look at Liverpool. Salah n Mane are basically the same as what we have. They aren't proper wingers either. But their fullbacks are top top class. If we want to get to their level and continue to play 433 then we need better fullbacks. Been saying this all season.
This isn’t always true. Greenwood he goes really far in to be an inside forward which in theory should allow Bissaka time and space to get on a through ball to deliver first time crosses or just go at the box. However when this does happen he doesn’t want to do it and checks back or stops play.

Now on the left it’s over the last few games Rashford would stay pinned on the touchline so Shaw could underlap him as most of our more intricate play happens on that side between Martial, Rashford and Shaw. The role on the left is just to get them in behind the backline with quick sharp passing for one to either score or get a cutback.

Our LB’s role seems to be to sit inside to protect midfield and Matic to allow Pogba and Bruno more license. I think in part that is why Rashford also stays wider now so that Shaw can go from his more central position between FB and CB.