Why do we have so many unlikeable players?

Ronaldo's Love Child

The other day I was at my mate's house and he was playing Football Manager as manager of Man United. During one of the graphical match segments I found myself getting pissed off with the little stick figure bearing Bruno Fernandes' name only because I think I've developed a hard wired dislike of Bruno Fernandes in real life. Every time Fernandes appeared to do something in the game my mind was telling me "look at that whiny little b****".

And this got me thinking.

Why do we seem to have so many unlikeable players these days?

1. Bruno Fenandes.Being gobby isn't the only prequisite to being a captain. He gesticulates and harangues players and officials like he's a prime Roy Keane yet he gives the ball away more than most and lacks any real composure- bad example to his fellow teammates.

2. Rashford. Body language has reverted back to the season before last where he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on the pitch. Mentally fragile. Poor football intelligence manifests itself in poor decisions on the pitch. In a match, when the going gets tough, Rashford is gone.

3. Martial. Another body language misery mope.

4. Greenwood. I disliked him before the accusations. Another body language depressive. I will never forgive him for one City match where we were losing and the manager substituted him off and he just ambles off the pitch, deep in his own head rather then thinking about getting his teammate on the pitch and try and salvage the match.

5. Sancho & Wan Bisaaka. Not in the same league as the first 3 candidates as they seem to try but their weak mentality grates me.

4. Pogba & Jesse Lingard. Enough said.

tomaldinho1

Wasn't there a thread about how many likeable players we have recently? 2 games in and we need a complete rebuild, everyone's a cnut and Woodward needs to return.

devil in me

Rashford is one of the most popular players in the league. His body language is sometimes frustrating but come on. Pogba and Lingard don't even play for us anymore and AWB is a weird one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ah yeah, feck that local homegrown kid who feeds the kids in the community and scored 30 goals for us last season

astracrazy

Rashford is one of the most popular players in the league. His body language is sometimes frustrating but come on. Pogba and Lingard don't even play for us anymore and AWB is a weird one.
Off the pitch, yeah. On it, not a chance.

Devil You Know

When Ole was doing well, everybody was saying the squad was the most likeable we'd had in years.

Then when things went wrong in the Ole/Rangnick season, it was unlikeable.

And when EtH turned things around, it became likeable again.

Now, it's unlikeable once more.

I think I spot a trend, and it's nothing to do with the actual likeability of the players.

Red_toad

Just bitter twisted group of fans who tend to enjoy poor results as it gives them free reign on slagging off the players.

Nicolarra90

Another body language master :lol:

Well I don't care if they are likeable or cnuts or both. I don't watch football for the players.

The other day I was at my mate's house and he was playing Football Manager as manager of Man United. During one of the graphical match segments I found myself getting pissed off with the little stick figure bearing Bruno Fernandes' name only because I think I've developed a hard wired dislike of Bruno Fernandes in real life. Every time Fernandes appeared to do something in the game my mind was telling me "look at that whiny little b****".

1. Bruno Fenandes.Being gobby isn't the only prequisite to being a captain. He gesticulates and harangues players and officials like he's a prime Roy Keane yet he gives the ball away more than most and lacks any real composure- bad example to his fellow teammates.

2. Rashford. Body language has reverted back to the season before last where he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on the pitch. Mentally fragile. Poor football intelligence manifests itself in poor decisions on the pitch. In a match, when the going gets tough, Rashford is gone.

4. Greenwood. I disliked him before the accusations. Another body language depressive. I will never forgive him for one City match where we were losing and the manager substituted him off and he just ambles off the pitch, deep in his own head rather then thinking about getting his teammate on the pitch and try and salvage the match.

5. Sancho & Wan Bisaaka. Not in the same league as the first 3 candidates as they seem to try but their weak mentality grates me.

I like Bruno. He gives a shit.

I like Rashford. I don't think hes a great player, but i like him.

Greenwood is the only one you have a point on. The others either don't play for us anymore or it's their natural style.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Exactly. And he forgot to mention Antony

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Ours are unlikeable? Try watching three of the most punchable faces in the PL (Haaland, Grealish, Foden) lift every trophy under the sun and then we'll talk about unlikeable.

lsd

The Oracle

Why are you ignoring Antony?

Mike Smalling

The most remarkable thing about this thread, is that Antony somehow avoided making the list.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

As you have also chosen ex players, why have you left out Ronaldo?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why are you ignoring Antony?
Indeed. Antony is the first who comes to mind when I think about unlikeable United players. Doesn’t help that he is a pointless footballer as well.

Dan_F

I could do that for every team in football.

Footballers generally are annoying. Crying at any contact themselves then moaning about other players going down under any contact. There’s so many examples, but basically yes, they’re annoying as feck to watch most of the time.

Shake Jism

Indeed. Antony is the first who comes to mind when I think about unlikeable United players. Doesn’t help that he is a pointless footballer as well.
Our miserable spoilt-brat version of sulky Richarlison.

yamo123x

I like good talented players but they instantly become unlikeable if they dont try and dont give everything for the shirt.
At the minute too much overpaid arrogance in this squad and it is infectious.
Lack of effort is unforgiveable

GazTheLegend

... why would any Manchester United fan dislike Bruno Fernandes and Rashford again???

I mean like... because the opposition fans hate them, surely we should be supporting them even MORE? I hate our fans sometimes, I don't hate our players.

simplyared

Ridiculous that Rashford is in any way associated with this thread. Bruno I can understand to a point but he makes up for his whining because, as another poster said, he gives a shit. Not to forget he's also our best signing since SAF. How the feck can Antony's name not be in the OP and instead you choose Rashford??:houllier:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You completely missed a topic here. What player does off the pitch and on the pitch are two different things. How Rashford can be unlikeable? Or Martial? They are maybe lazy on the pitch which drives me mad too sometimes but off the pitch they look as a really nice guys. Bruno? I watch Bruno's interviews and he strikes me as a modest family guy with a strong work ethic.
Pogba is a big child off the pitch but defo not in a bad way.

Our only unlikeable players for me are Greenwood (well, obviously), Ronaldo (most unlikeable player in world of football) and i must say Maguire. Delusion and lack of self-awareness which he showed in his interviews are really annoying (but again, maybe he is a good lad. Who knows?).

Demon Barber

I genuinely do not dislike any of our players, MG excepted, and find it hard to comprehend the minds of United fans who do. The OP's list included Bruno and Rashford purely because they may seem to whine or sulk a bit when things are not going well on the pitch. Incidentally, Bruno was "whining" against Spurs due to what he and many United supporters saw as inconsistent refereeing decisions.

As has been said, the OP did not mention Antony, or for that matter Maguire or McTominay. They are the usual scapegoats, but are they really unlikeable?

I agree that Pogba and Lingard should be on the list (although not now United players) but what I disliked about them was their sense of entitlement and flaunting of their wealth and status. Lingard underpants ffs!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine a mediocre team of selfless charitable individuals

They'd all be called cnuts who should focus on football

Silly thread

Posh Red

I’m not trying to be a dick, but the ‘bad body language’ thing always seems to be aimed at a certain ‘profile’ of player, if you catch my drift. I noticed this in the past, but now I’m starting to wonder if it’s more than a coincidence.