Why do we make so many mistakes?

UpWithRivers

Yeah there is the De Gea thread but its not just him. Everyone is at it even Pogba. And not only mistakes that lead to goals but just misplacing passes and being prone to the press etc. Every single goal since the restart has been a result of a mistake. Its ridiculous and I cant put my finger on why. Normally you can put it down to just a mistake or poor from but with so many players doing it and so often there has to be a reason. Just tiredness? Tactics i.e. told to take more risks? We are shitter than we think? What do you say?

PoTMS

Our defence plus GK is bobbins. We play out the back despite being shit at it. Our players don't deal well under pressure, mentally and physically. Play the high press against us and we shit ourselves. Somehow we don't get made to pay for it as much as we probably should do hence us having the second joint best defensive record in the league. But anyone with a set of eyes can tell you we are shaky at the back. Could not give a feck if a single one was binned off.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’re just a really complacent and it seems mentally weak side. It’s been this way ever since Sir Alex retired. We go on great runs then the wheels get wobbly until they fall off and we go from looking amazing to dreadful within the space of a week.

It’s bemusing.

meamth

Tiredness will force mistakes to happen.

When you lost that extra gear, muscle soreness, it's bound to happen.

Ace of Spades

Tiredness will force mistakes to happen.

When you lost that extra gear, muscle soreness, it's bound to happen.
This, fatigue is bound to set in. This is what I was worried about with the games coming thick and fast. We have poor depth in the squad, and unfortunately we need to play that first 11 constantly to get results as the drop in quality from that is quite bad.

I just hope we can get over the line, get the results in the next two games, and I don't even care about the EL.

Orange Tree

Fatigue. We lost a lot of second balls against Southampton, and Palace, and again Chelsea.

Wouldn't surprise me when same thing happens again against West Ham and Leicester.

SER19

Can't remember a season where there's been so many individual mistakes

peridigm

Fatigued beyond reasonable expectations. The FA should be examined for their ridiculous scheduling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Our defence plus GK is bobbins. We play out the back despite being shit at it. Our players don't deal well under pressure, mentally and physically. Play the high press against us and we shit ourselves. Somehow we don't get made to pay for it as much as we probably should do hence us having the second joint best defensive record in the league. But anyone with a set of eyes can tell you we are shaky at the back. Could not give a feck if a single one was binned off.
This thread isn’t about the defence.

Everyone was making a dog’s dinner of simple passes today. I literally can’t think of one United player who didn’t make at least one embarrassing schoolboy error today. Go through the whole team in your head. Think about their individual performances. Every one of them made some abysmal mistakes.

It’s an interesting question. Are we unique among the big teams in getting the basics so horribly wrong, so often? I’d like to think not and that there’s a bias here, where we don’t notice/remember other teams playing as badly as we did today. I could be wrong, though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our players are dumb cnuts, and the fatigue won't help. But it's mostly that our players are dumb cnuts.

How many intelligent players do we have honestly? Martial, Mata, erm.... I'm struggling here..

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I still think most teams are in early season mode just out of pre-season - just the nature of what's happened. It's just not normal for anyone.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I didn't like the way we kept insisting on dribbling out of our own 18 yard box. Our passing was so off today, you just knew it was coming.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lack of concentration and could also mean due to fatigue & could also due to lack of competition to challenge the player's spot. Let's see if next season we can improve this by signing some players to rotate & give our players more rest. If it still doesn't reduce the mistakes, well, simply not good enough.

As for DDG, a keeper shouldn't need to be rotated. Schmeichel made a point about DDG needs to adjust a little bit since he used to play in front of shite defense. However, he already started making mistakes since last season and last season our defense were shite and so much worse than now. May be we need to start benching him to push him.

Last edited:

U99ted

It’s an interesting question. Are we unique among the big teams in getting the basics so horribly wrong, so often? I’d like to think not and that there’s a bias here, where we don’t notice/remember other teams playing as badly as we did today. I could be wrong, though.
Chelsea lost 3-0 to Sheffield United barely over a week ago. Leicester lost 3-0 today and 4-1 to an almost relegated side that we stuck 5 past.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don’t think people realise how much fatigue effects you performance especially at the top level.

At premier league level the players are all pretty similar, just 5-10% difference in a performance can lead to huge errors.

unfortunately Though not sure we can make that same excuse for de Gea.

PoTMS

This thread isn’t about the defence.

Everyone was making a dog’s dinner of simple passes today. I literally can’t think of one United player who didn’t make at least one embarrassing schoolboy error today. Go through the whole team in your head. Think about their individual performances. Every one of them made some abysmal mistakes.

True. Although I think Martial was the only one that wasn't appalling.

meamth

Our players are dumb cnuts, and the fatigue won't help. But it's mostly that our players are dumb cnuts.

How many intelligent players do we have honestly? Martial, Mata, erm.... I'm struggling here..
Matic is stupid. Obviously.
Pogba is also stupid.
Bruno?? He has football IQ below 0.1.
Maguire can't even speak english.
Lindelof? He can't even memorize ABC.
AWB can only slide tackle, he has no understanding of the game.
James only knows how to run, he doesn't understand anything about playing football.
Mason Greenwood???? Probably still trying to learn his first word.

Paul_Scholes18

I think it is mental and dealing with the pressure. We are not coping with it well enough.
Also not knowing how to pass the ball around efficiently is a reason for midfielders errors.

Ekeke

Not enough players who are concentrating and looking for danger. Matic was closed down and lost the ball twice, like Fred and Andreas were for goals earlier in the season

Bristol_Red_87

A few people have touched on this but you can partly blame the lack of quality on the ball (remove Fernandes) as well as Ole's desire for us to play the ball out from the back.

Our backline, with the exception of Maguire, are very average at playing out from the back. Any team that deploys a high press will force mistakes, and we've seen this kind of thing happen with alarming regularity over the past couple of seasons.

Put quite simply, we lack the all round quality to play through a side, unless we can beat the first press and get it into Bruno.

Ole probably knows this, but if that's the way he wants to play, he'll probably be willing to fall on his sword in doing so.

He is clearly looking to develop us to be more than just a counter attacking side, but he doesn't really have the calibre of players to pull it off as yet, certainly not against sides who press high (Bournemouth and Southampton caused us problems, it would be rude not to expect Chelsea to do likewise).

Its easy to see...watch how many touches the likes of City and Liverpool take when they look to play through a side.

We take at least 3 times as many, by which point the door to Rashford and co has been closed, player in possession takes another touch, and all of a sudden, we have lost the ball in our defensive third.

I fully expected us to deploy a similar strategy today, as neither of Chelsea's CB's are good on the ball. However, Lampard recognises this, so most things went long up to Giroud with support getting around him to pick up the pieces. Not pretty, but ultimately effective.

Reactions: Sultan

He'sRaldo

Teams nowadays are coached to set traps and force mistakes, so the team needs to be very well drilled on and off the ball to avoid them.

The technique of the majority of our players is good enough to play one or two touch football, so why aren't we?

lsd

The Oracle
Weak mentality will lead to mistakes simple as that . When the heat is on we fold too easily and make so many stupid mistakes

UpWithRivers

A few people have touched on this but you can partly blame the lack of quality on the ball (remove Fernandes) as well as Ole's desire for us to play the ball out from the back.

Our backline, with the exception of Maguire, are very average at playing out from the back. Any team that deploys a high press will force mistakes, and we've seen this kind of thing happen with alarming regularity over the past couple of seasons.

Put quite simply, we lack the all round quality to play through a side, unless we can beat the first press and get it into Bruno.

Ole probably knows this, but if that's the way he wants to play, he'll probably be willing to fall on his sword in doing so.

He is clearly looking to develop us to be more than just a counter attacking side, but he doesn't really have the calibre of players to pull it off as yet, certainly not against sides who press high (Bournemouth and Southampton caused us problems, it would be rude not to expect Chelsea to do likewise).

Its easy to see...watch how many touches the likes of City and Liverpool take when they look to play through a side.

We take at least 3 times as many, by which point the door to Rashford and co has been closed, player in possession takes another touch, and all of a sudden, we have lost the ball in our defensive third.

I fully expected us to deploy a similar strategy today, as neither of Chelsea's CB's are good on the ball. However, Lampard recognises this, so most things went long up to Giroud with support getting around him to pick up the pieces. Not pretty, but ultimately effective.
Really? Lindelof and Maguire are good ball playing CB's. Their weakness lies with speed. Matic is and Pogba are more than capable of playing one touch football. Fernandes also. So who/what type of player do we need?