Why do we never get penalties any more?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What the hell has happened, do we not attack the box like we used to?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Our attacking play was pretty well-gelled but with Cristiano’s (and Sancho’s, although it didn’t affect us much) arrival everything got mixed up so now we don’t know what’s our best attacking line up is (we don’t even know whenever it’s a front two, three or four!).

Add to that Rashford missing the entire beginning of the season use to injury, Martial, statistically our best penalty-earner, disappearing from the picture completely… and while Cristiano is brilliant, his awful diving technique and reputation works very much against him.

Pogba is in a bad form, Shaw is in a bad form etc.

Siezard

Martial was the one earning the penalties most of the time together with Rashford.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Martial was the one earning the penalties most of the time together with Rashford.
Yep. Would need to check the data, but it felt as if these two earned a good proportion of penalties.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Our attacking play was pretty well-gelled but with Cristiano’s (and Sancho’s, although it didn’t affect us much) arrival everything got mixed up so now we don’t know what’s our best attacking line up is (we don’t even know whenever it’s a front two, three or four!).

Add to that Rashford missing the entire beginning of the season use to injury, Martial, statistically our best penalty-earner, disappearing from the picture completely… and while Cristiano is brilliant, his awful diving technique and reputation works very much against him.

Are you talking about 2003?

GazTheLegend

I'm sure we had a few stonewall penalties denied to Ronaldo earlier in the season, but after that we haven't -deserved- any penalties. Need to be in the opposition box to get them. Last season I'd argue the vast, vast majority of our penalties were the correct decision so it's not like it's a referee thing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Are you talking about 2003?
Very funny. Notice that I didn’t say brilliant or anything similar. All of our attackers had clearly defined roles and we’ve had a good understanding of what it is our best front line (that in different points included one of Martial & Cavani). At the moment we don’t — and while Cristiano was the catalyst for this uncertainty, the blame for the mess in our attack lies mostly on Ole and partly on injuries.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yep. Would need to check the data, but it felt as if these two earned a good proportion of penalties.
Dan James in his first season as well

What is it this season? Just the one we missed against Villa?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Yeah this pretty much sums it up.

Cristiano was a "Oh shit sign him now we'll figure it out later" signing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Apart from the West Ham game when Ronaldo should have had a couple I can't remember any even getting turned down though, just not attacking as well as we have done in previous seasons

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Less dribbling, tippy tappy 1-2's in the box, more crosses and headers/shots i'd imagine.

As others have said Martials style used to earn quite a few as he enjoyed taking people on in the box.

Lentwood

What the hell has happened, do we not attack the box like we used to?
Because the media, Klopp, Lampard and Pep all started putting pressure on referees at the same time, and now they are terrified to give us anything marginal.

Saying that, I can't think of any stonewall penalties we haven't been awarded this season? Perhaps it's also partly down to playing Rashford, James and Martial less? Those players probably won us the majority of our penalties last season, although that's just a gut feeling, I don't have stats on that

Edit: Should have had at least one penalty West Ham game