Why do you support Manchester United?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Motivation for this thread driven by some of the threads around here such as the youth development thread.

As a fan, winning is obviously important. But at least for me, there are other things that i love about United, some of which I don't think I would sacrifice just in the name of winning.

Take developing youth. I accept that we will most likely never have a class of 92 again. We will be spending more on proven talent. But there's nothing quite like seeing a young talent break through into the team. That feeling and identity. I'd never want United to stop trying to develop youth. If we have a particularly bad crop, that's not me saying we should just play them and not buy. No. We must be pragmatic and if youth fails be prepared to spend. But doesn't mean we should give up entirely on youth forever. Also, if we believe we have a talent who could become something big, the day we don't give him a shot in the first team and instead buy a ready player for £25m to perform right now in the name of winning will be a sad day for United. Obviously there's unique situations where you just need to win but I'm talking more holistically.

Another is our style of play. Watching United used to be incredibly exciting. But since the back end of Fergies tenure it hasn't been. There's a fine line between winning at all costs and sufficient attacking football. I don't pretend that playing attractive football is more important than winning the league, but I do maintain that it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'd be happy we won the league but I wouldn't be anywhere near as excited for example. On one hand I'd be happy we won. On the other, there would be a huge void where I actually enjoyed sitting down and watching a display of great football and on the odd occasion, a demolishion of a team.

So why do you support United? What elements of our history and ethos make United extra special for you?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Excitement, never say die spirit, the unpridictable nature of the side, remember on the saf days when we never knew from week to week if we would loose 6-3 to Southampton or spank arsenal 6-1?
These days? Habit I suppose and the vague hope that it might get enjoyable again one day.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Back home in Nigeria in the late 90s early 2000s we were always on TV. They showed the other teams highlights but United games were always shown live. It was natural for me. I was between 8 and 10 then so I got hooked and never looked back since.

rpitchfo

All teams love to see a local lad come through the ranks - I don't know why people act like this is something unique for United.

Attacking football comes from the fact we have generally been a successful and well resourced football club - better footballers in general play for more attacking teams.

All clubs are special in the own right - steeped with tradition and history - it's what makes football so magical.

I support Manchester United because a friends dad was a big fan and he would take a group of us (when we were 6 or 7) to watch the odd cup game in the mid 90's.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Because United were popular and won a lot of things. And Beckham, who was popular too, was a United player.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
When I was 9 I knew nothing about football, and my schoolpals worked out United were the best top division club that none of them already followed, so they told me I was United.
c1963.
Actually playing though they told me I was Howard Kendall, although as the only kid that didn't go on North End I had no idea who he was.

superdry

touched by a genius
Woke up one morning and I was a united fan. I can't remember much about it, I was only seconds old at the time.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Early to mid '90s in South Africa - United were most often the team on telly. My dad and (older) brothers are all Liverpool supporters. Luck I guess. Started watching us in '93 & started supporting "that team" on tv. It could easily have been any other team. Right time, right place I guess :lol:

Haven't looked back since.

& obviously as mentioned in the thread already - most clubs have traditions and youth etc - so it wasn't a "let me do research on all clubs and decide who I support based on my checklist"....I first saw the team on telly, not knowing much about football (I was 9-10 years old at the time). So I started supporting United and then fell in love with everything about the club as I started finding out more and more about the club & football in general (especially SAF!).

mu77

1977 uefa cup - french relatives going mental - "allez le vert" and all - united supporters singing you could hear it over the radio clear as a bell. as a FNG to football the fans got me hooked. would buy a paper that had scores and a little write up of the 1st div. then we started to get match of the day. then that went off the air and had to find ways to keep up.

VanGaalEra

My family hates United (Dad supports Leeds and everyone else is pretty much also Leeds/Arsenal fans).

My first game I watched and supported United was a 3-1 defeat to Gothenburg (whatever happened to them?).

Green_Red

Im gonna blame George Best. Im pretty sure hes a big part of the reason most Irish people ended up following United in the 60s. Thats what Im guessing anyway. I never asked why, I just accepted that United was the team in our family.

SalfordRed1960

Excitement, never say die spirit, the unpridictable nature of the side,
You could probably add anticipation, buzz, atmosphere to that list. For those that went to the games in the 70s and early 80s, there was an enormous feeling of empathy amongst the fans,a United front. We may have been shit on a stick, but we were Man United and we expected any particular year to be our year. Every match was our time to turn up. Rarely happened, but when it did, the atmosphere was electric. On paper always the undergo, in spirit we were the top dog and everyone hated us. I would argue that very few managers, maybe the Doc, got a high level of support from the fans, the club owners were also never really supported by the fans for various reasons, it was the team that got full attention of the fans.

Total opposite to what is happening on the caf these last few years. Fans don't have a success anticipation and do not seem to enjoy a win. There are very little positives and the negatives are exaggerated.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
My family hates United (Dad supports Leeds and everyone else is pretty much also Leeds/Arsenal fans).

My first game I watched and supported United was a 3-1 defeat to Gothenburg (whatever happened to them?).
Do you still have a family?

HabeasC

When I was growing up, the two big teams fighting for the league were Arsenal and United. Dad was/is an Arsenal fan and I, wanting to rebel at that young age, decided United would be the team for me.

It also helped that I loved watching us play and liked the narrative of Becks, Scholes, Giggs and the Nevilles.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
my favourite noodle manufacturer is an official partner. where the noodles go, i go.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
My dad supports United, it helps that we were very entertaining and successful when I was growing up; last minute goals, winning whilst playing exciting risky football. I also idolised David Beckham and spent a lot of time practicing my crosses and free kicks.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't have a choice. I was born in West Yorkshire but my mums side are all from across the Pennines and are all United fans. My Dad is from Sheffield and is a Wednesday fan, but he's more into rugby than football, so it was United from the off thanks to my uncle and my older cousins. I have a soft spot for Wednesday, I look out for their score and whatnot, but there wasn't even a decision to pick a team. I'd been to a few United games before I was big enough to even see what was going on, around 1989/90. I just cheered and groaned when everyone else did. I sometimes saw the ball when the goalkeeper hoofed it into the air. My favourite bit was the burger and the can of pop.

Crashoutcassius

Family, Roy Keane

I am proud of the clubs traditions of youth development and attacking football though. Barce and Ajax are the ultimate ethos clubs and I love that about them too. All clubs just doing the same thing and trying to buy titles and sacking managers if they lose a few games in a row seems boring to me

Precaution

Mate was a massive fan at the time when i was getting into Football, i was a huge Beckham fan and a friend of mine had VIP access to the Exec box (i was also very young) and got to meet SAF and for some reason Eamonn Holmes but what i loved was our swashbuckling style and the icing on the cake was Cantona, it got me hooked.