Why does Rashford keep pointing at his head™?

Withnail

I find it ironic that a celebration that is supposed to signify mental strength and focus, was popularized by a player who, despite his bouts of great goalscoring this season:

1) Goes missing for months every single season since he made his debut.

2) Lacks the tenacity to go hard in ground duels.

3) Will not commit to aerial challenges, like we saw in the final against City when he flat out refused to jump in for a 50/50 aerial duel, and thus just awarded possession to City for free.

4) Often lacks the aforementioned focus in his decision making; takes on shots when he should pass. Or dribbles straight into defenders and hopeless channels when he should pass. A player with focus and footballing intelligence makes the right choices far more often, than "the man who invented the focus celebration".

I'm not saying he hasn't had a good season. Just that I find his celebration odd. There are countless players with a way tougher and focused mentality than Rashford. Yet, they just perform well on a consistent basis and get on with it.

Rashford is a very good footballer. The technical abilities are certainly there. But one of his worst traits is in my opinion his mental fortitude and decision making. So that celebration doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's as meaningless as it would be like if Antony pointed to his right foot every time he scores.

Just my two cents, I'm sure no one will agree.
Awful feckin post JFC.

Oscar Bonavena

Rashford's a bit like Rooney isn't he. Goes on a hot streak, struggles for awhile, then celebrates defiantly after scoring a goal.
I like Marcus but he's not in the same league as Rooney.

If Rooney was going through a bad patch form wise, even within an individual game, he'd get angry and redouble his efforts. The street fighter would come out in him. Sometimes too much, he'd fly into tackles and probably could have got himself sent off a few times. But at least he was doing something!

When Rashford is not playing well, everything breaks down with him. His confidence goes, his energy levels drop, he can't handle any physicality, he won't challenge for the ball.... and because he played so well earlier in the season and scored x amount of goals, he's almost immune from being substituted, no matter how ineffective he's been, on the off chance that he might, maybe, possibly, produce a moment of magic.

Most fans can forgive him going through a bad spell form wise, but you don't have to be playing well to put in a tackle, chase down defenders like your like depended on it, challenge for headers. I just wish he'd do that when he's not playing well, that's all.

Pronewbie

Peep

If Rooney was going through a bad patch form wise, even within an individual game, he'd get angry and redouble his efforts. The street fighter would come out in him. Sometimes too much, he'd fly into tackles and probably could have got himself sent off a few times. But at least he was doing something!

When Rashford is not playing well, everything breaks down with him. His confidence goes, his energy levels drop, he can't handle any physicality, he won't challenge for the ball.... and because he played so well earlier in the season and scored x amount of goals, he's almost immune from being substituted, no matter how ineffective he's been, on the off chance that he might, maybe, possibly, produce a moment of magic.

Most fans can forgive him going through a bad spell form wise, but you don't have to be playing well to put in a tackle, chase down defenders like your like depended on it, challenge for headers. I just wish he'd do that when he's not playing well, that's all.
Mostly agree.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I find it ironic that a celebration that is supposed to signify mental strength and focus, was popularized by a player who, despite his bouts of great goalscoring this season:

3) Will not commit to aerial challenges, like we saw in the final against City when he flat out refused to jump in for a 50/50 aerial duel, and thus just awarded possession to City for free.

4) Often lacks the aforementioned focus in his decision making; takes on shots when he should pass. Or dribbles straight into defenders and hopeless channels when he should pass. A player with focus and footballing intelligence makes the right choices far more often, than "the man who invented the focus celebration".

I'm not saying he hasn't had a good season. Just that I find his celebration odd. There are countless players with a way tougher and focused mentality than Rashford. Yet, they just perform well on a consistent basis and get on with it.

Rashford is a very good footballer. The technical abilities are certainly there. But one of his worst traits is in my opinion his mental fortitude and decision making. So that celebration doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's as meaningless as it would be like if Antony pointed to his right foot every time he scores.

Sad cafe.

stw2022

Rashford's a bit like Rooney isn't he. Goes on a hot streak, struggles for awhile, then celebrates defiantly after scoring a goal.
His struggles last far too long though. Before Christmas he wasn't very good. In the last two months of the season he wasn't very good either.

From December to February he was on fire.

ifightdragons

His struggles last far too long though. Before Christmas he wasn't very good. In the last two months of the season he wasn't very good either.

Exactly. And this has been the case every season since he made his debut.

He has never had a consistently good season in his entire career, which spans 8 seasons thus far.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Can you give me some examples of players like Rashford:

That have started their careers as a youth product and at 18 years old asked to carry the attack at a massive club like Utd. A club, which has also massively underachieved whilst at the same time being an absolutely mess on the pitch (managers with opposite ends of philosophy and quality) and off it (Woodward and Glazers).
Such is the mess at the club that at the relatively really young age of 25, he's still been asked to carried the attack and is one of the most senior players during this whole mess since he's made his debut.

Now I agree Rashford definitely deserves criticism and his game is too wildly inconsistent. He's being handsomely rewarded for the pressure and scrutiny but for the bolded bit, I doubt there are many with 'tougher and focused mentalities' that have had the same level playing field/set of conditions and expectations. I.e For every player that has had good form, they probably had a consistent manager behind them and without the scrutiny of playing at a club like Utd where it's a completely different ball game.
This won't go down well, but the answer is Gerrard.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Rooney was just as streaky. In almost every season apart from one season where it all came together and he racked up his most goals ever. Even his debut season, which everyone still raves about, had a very long run of not being productive.

Withnail

I hope he's not very good and inconsistently scores another 30 goals next year. Not every player is a Haaland, you know?

He's also not a CF and if we had other options he wouldn't have to play there or on the right where he's less effective than the left.

The stick you give the guy is ridiculous.

Brightonian

I hope he's not very good and inconsistently scores another 30 goals next year. Not every player is a Haaland, you know?

He's also not a CF and if we had other options he wouldn't have to play there or on the right where he's less effective than the left.

The stick you give the guy is ridiculous.
Yep, should be end of discussion. Winger playing in team without a proper CF gets 30 goals and 11 assists, aged 25.

Only 1 goal from penalty, and if you watch them back it's frightening how many are significantly solo efforts. The man didn't just score 30 goals, he made 30 goals happen for himself. I'd probably be pointing at my bonce too.

stw2022

He isn't a winger he's a wide forward. Every time he's criticised he doesn't become a midfielder

Rooney was just as streaky. In almost every season apart from one season where it all came together and he racked up his most goals ever. Even his debut season, which everyone still raves about, had a very long run of not being productive.
Rooney always worked to benefit the team, even in his down patches he was effective as a foil for others. At times we would be better off playing with 10 when Rashford is out of form.

It's a valid criticism of Rashford that he needs to learn to at least look like a footballer when he has an off day. Otherwise it's hard to see how we build a winning team with him in it. Nobody can be left to "play themselves into form" for months on end.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yep, should be end of discussion. Winger playing in team without a proper CF gets 30 goals and 11 assists, aged 25.

Only 1 goal from penalty, and if you watch them back it's frightening how many are significantly solo efforts. The man didn't just score 30 goals, he made 30 goals happen for himself. I'd probably be pointing at my bonce too.
Being devil’s advocate here but would you read anything into how often his goals are solo efforts? Wouldn’t it maybe be better if there was a bigger share of goals which featured linking up with his team mates?

Withnail

Being devil’s advocate here but would you read anything into how often his goals are solo efforts? Wouldn’t it maybe be better if there was a bigger share of goals which featured linking up with his team mates?
It would be better obviously but we haven't exactly had a functional forward line. We've no CF to speak of and Antony's not exactly creating all that many goals or assists from the right.

Playing devils advocate to yours if you were Rashford, would you pass the ball to Wout, Sancho or Antony vs trying to bang one in yourself?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It would be better obviously but we haven't exactly had a functional forward line. We've no CF to speak of and Antony's not exactly creating all that many goals or assists from the right.

Playing devils advocate to yours if you were Rashford, would you pass the ball to Wout, Sancho or Antony vs trying to bang one in yourself?
Well Sancho is supposedly a player who excels at linking up with team mates in the final third. So it’s hard not to wonder if Rashford’s increasing tendency to play with his head down might be a factor in Sancho’s struggles.

LInkash

To add to that, in the limited time that we had a proper centre forward, ie when Martial was fit, Rashford linked up well with him and when Martial scored, it was often Rashford that assisted him.

Withnail

Well Sancho is supposedly a player who excels at linking up with team mates in the final third. So it’s hard not to wonder if Rashford’s increasing tendency to play with his head down might be a factor in Sancho’s struggles.
Possibly so. I'd really like to see how it would all fit together with a proper CF ahead of Bruno with Rashford and Sancho/Antony(if he can add a bit more creativity) on either side.

Rashford has shown he can link up well with Shaw and as @LInkash said himself and Martial did used to do it quite well.

imamuppet

Stick to dragons :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Surely he does it to annoy Wolves fans online who go nuts everytime it's mentioned shouting Neves did it first

Woziak

Rashford is 25, already done an awful lot in his career that most players who retired 50 years ago did not achieve, when Pep asked if he could have one united player, he always says Marcus, our frustration as a fanbase is that he has genuine world class ability but can’t produce it season in season out but has moments and generally big game mentality.

He needs a settled 11 and a settled front 3 to get the most out of him. I think he played his best football in ages this season between November and February because he was settled, with his now EX GF, Shaw was playing left back, Martial and Antony generally playing in the three and plus he had a very good Ericsen creating patterns of play with Shaw, Bruno, Casemeiro and then springing Rashford in the final third, at the end of the season we had an unfit shaw, a hugely detoriated Ericssen and No CF bar Weghorst and the right wing producing nothing but air shots and two very expensive right wingers not producing much at all!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rooney always worked to benefit the team, even in his down patches he was effective as a foil for others. At times we would be better off playing with 10 when Rashford is out of form.

It's a valid criticism of Rashford that he needs to learn to at least look like a footballer when he has an off day. Otherwise it's hard to see how we build a winning team with him in it. Nobody can be left to "play themselves into form" for months on end.
This is nonsense. When Rooney was out of form I agree he ran a lot and sometimes contributed something but he generally had the touch of a drunk donkey and there were definitely periods where he struggled to get into the game when he was out of form. Pretty sure it's only Ronaldo and Nani for that one year that I can remember going the whole season basically contributing every game even when they weren't really in form.

Van Persie had a long dry spell in that title year if I remember rightly, Ruud used to have dry spells, Tevez too (maybe 07/08 he was consistent though?), Cole used to get plenty of stick, I imagine Yorke wasn't always consistent either though must admit that's stretching my memory.

cheekybackheel

Pretty much spot on this, we'll said.

For me, Rashford hasn't quite done enough yet. He often shows flashes of pushing on and becoming an amazing world class player, but I wouldn't put him in that bracket because he doesn't do enough overall.

Only the season before this, everyone was calling for his head, I was one of them, and that's a reflection on what he's like on the pitch. He's too hot and cold for me, yes he's had a great season, probably one of his best. But he's also the type of person who could potentially dine out on that for another season, whilst not really doing much.

In a strange way he sort of reminds me of John Barnes playing for England. Barnes performances for Liverpool were great, week-in week-out. But stick him in an England shirt and he'd be so up and down it was unbelievable. You always hoped Barnes would perform some magic, like he did against Brazil with his wonder goal, but it never really happened. He managed to dine out on that Brazil goal his entire England career.

I'm hoping Rashford doesn't do the same with this season, I'm hoping he uses it to push on and become a mainstay week-in week-out and not just a flash in the pan now and then.

Trex

Some fans deserve the worst.... He carried our attack this season yet all the mourning. 30 goals higher than any united forward the past 10 years, was united player of the month for three months on the bounce. Very easy to be over critical, I hope you do your job 1/10 of the level Rashford does his. Hope you're among the top 20 professionals your the field the last year.

This is nonsense. When Rooney was out of form I agree he ran a lot and sometimes contributed something but he generally had the touch of a drunk donkey and there were definitely periods where he struggled to get into the game when he was out of form. Pretty sure it's only Ronaldo and Nani for that one year that I can remember going the whole season basically contributing every game even when they weren't really in form.

Van Persie had a long dry spell in that title year if I remember rightly, Ruud used to have dry spells, Tevez too (maybe 07/08 he was consistent though?), Cole used to get plenty of stick, I imagine Yorke wasn't always consistent either though must admit that's stretching my memory.
That's just your memory playing tricks I'm afraid. Yes they all had good and bad periods but what they never did was coast around or abandon the basics. Ferguson wouldn't have allowed it.

All our team have been allowed to slack off in recent years. ETH had bigger priorities this season but I'm sure that will change, you'll see more consistency or players will be benched.

Scottynaldinho

criticalanalysis

This won't go down well, but the answer is Gerrard.
That's a good example; Liverpool's most influential player of the last 25 years. The point is though, there's not 'many' that have got on with it and have produced on the highest stage in similar conditions.

Swiss_Red89

He just had the best scoring season of a United player in 10 years. United player of the year. One of the main reasons for us winning the League Cup. Without his goals we probably wouldn't be in the Champions League. Also scored three very good Goals at the World Cup for England. I could go on...

But some of his haters still can't give it a Rest.
He deserved every critisism last summer. But this year he deserves nothing but praise and respect for turning it around.

I swear some of you guys are so negative and toxic.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That's just your memory playing tricks I'm afraid. Yes they all had good and bad periods but what they never did was coast around or abandon the basics. Ferguson wouldn't have allowed it.

All our team have been allowed to slack off in recent years. ETH had bigger priorities this season but I'm sure that will change, you'll see more consistency or players will be benched.
You really think Rooney's touch was good when he was out of form? Not sure it's me with the dodgy memory if so.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Rooney's touch was fecking dreadful for the majority of the 2011 campaign.

Oscar Bonavena

You really think Rooney's touch was good when he was out of form? Not sure it's me with the dodgy memory if so.
Rooney's touch was fecking dreadful for the majority of the 2011 campaign.
Yeah when he wasn't on it, he really wasn't on it.
That may all be true of Rooney. He wasn't perfect. But no matter how badly he might have been playing or how out of form he might have been, at least he got f**king stuck in.

It's hardly asking a lot, is it?!

Withnail

That may all be true of Rooney. He wasn't perfect. But no matter how badly he might have been playing or how out of form he might have been, at least he got f**king stuck in.

It's hardly asking a lot, is it?!
Getting stuck in? Was the ball bouncing off his shin everytime when he had a poor game made any better by kicking someone?

The point is people have short memories. All players go through dry spells and patches of poorer form in a season. Rashford's just had the best season of his career and scored 30 goals, while often being played at CF and on the right, where he's less effective than on the left, because we're short of quality up top. He's carried us this year and without him we wouldn't have made top 4 or won a cup. The criticism is fairly ridiculous.

That's a great return from a wide forward and wouldn't be an issue at all if we had a proper CF and someone on the right who could chip in with 15 - 20.

He still did the basics. Made the runs, tracked back, got in the right places. When Rashford is out of form he looks like he doesn't want to be there. It possibly has something to do with why his drops in form are so drastic and last such a long time. Previous managers let that happen but ETH surely won't.