Why does the cafe hate united legends?

Grib

What's this about? The main two names that come to mind are Keane and Gary

Both seem to have a fair amount of caf memebers carry serious resentment towards them

Why? They dedicated their professional life to United and were a big part of our success during that period, yet now people seem all too happy to slate them at any opportunity.

Why, what is the gain? They have some flaws, and what, who doesn't? Are people giving them grief really that much holier than you, doubt...But seems like some feel the need to use our players as examples to show how morally superior they are compared to the next person

Don't know, just seems a weird thing we have going on here and I'm sure there are other examples other than the two I mention, but how can ex players in particular still get so much stick?

I'm not some angel, everyone can get pissed at players in the moment. I'm guilty myself of having the wrong view on the carricks, fletchers, valencias before realising (late or after their careers) that they were great united players. Yet we have legends getting continually slated many many years after their retirement?!

What gives

/rant

RC89

Because they now do punditry/commentary work and can come across as twats? (Moreso Gary for me)

BaneIsPain

I think hate is a strong word. No one should be free from some criticism because of his past achievements.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imagine loving a legend unconditionally like Liverpool do with Dalgliesh

Grib

Because they now do punditry/commentary work and can come across as twats? (Moreso Gary for me)
I get that re Gary for example but I still struggle to understand why he gets so much grief for it

We know he's united through and through but he also played a big part in our most prolific periods ever, but it appears like because he's over impartial or just a bit of a twat (or whatever) his contribution is forgotten

Just feels like you read some threads and would think.x y or z didn't actually do shit for us you know?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
With Keane, it’s probably because people pick Fergie and anyone who goes against him, loses.

With Gary it’s because he’s always on tv so he’s bound to say something the masses don’t like

RC89

I get that re Gary for example but I still struggle to understand why he gets so much grief for it

We know he's united through and through but he also played a big part in our most prolific periods ever, but it appears like because he's over impartial or just a bit of a twat (or whatever) his contribution is forgotten

Just feels like you read some threads and would think.x y or z didn't actually do shit for us you know?
He'll always be a club legend. It's his self righteous commentary for me that does it. You don't get people going in at Rio for example for his punditry.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Neville seems to almost fall over himself to avoid saying something positive about us when commentating. Keane can be a bit contrary and (in some people's opinion), a bit 'angry old man' (when it's normally justified and he looks for 100%).

Both good players (one great) but we can separate the player from the ex player.

What you're probably seeing is the 'anti' posters are more vocal. Same as the 'Ole out' posters... you'd swear it's 50/50 when in reality it's a minority who post a lot.

Grib

Should being a club legend make someone immune from being dislikable?
Of course not, but for say Gary, he's just doing a job. We see in ref threads that ref suposedly supports x and then is harder on them so as not to be seen as being biased

Such things are human nature

And I'm not saying anyone is beyond reproach, but it does feel like a lot of people carry some kind of grudge against these ex players

Grib

Imagine loving a legend unconditionally like Liverpool do with Dalgliesh
That's not what I'm saying and comparing Dagliesh to people griefng Nev for his sky work or Keane for being failed manager and having an opinion is a bit out there but okay

But what you say also adds to my original point, do people feel the need to continually slate our ex players so they can show their moral high ground? No problem with someone being upset or annoyed at someones comments, behaviour etc but there are threads were people are constantly gone at, that's what I find weird and want to understand

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Keane is fairly normal chap. Bit unhinged but he isn't a cunto like Giggs or something.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Personally, I like Phillip -- it was his wanking on public beach in Valencia that semented his legendary status as a United legend.

Grib

I think hate is a strong word. No one should be free from some criticism because of his past achievements.
Maybe it is yeah, but it just feels like the impression personally. So much activity in those two players threads in particular and a lot of it seems to be negative

Maybe I read it wrong and as said before, no one is above reproach, but these guys in particular are only guilty of having offending opinions vs us

Grib

He'll always be a club legend. It's his self righteous commentary for me that does it. You don't get people going in at Rio for example for his punditry.
In jermine jenas words 'yeah, no' I get that 100% and I'm not arguing against your point, just saying I don't understand why it feels so constant, like he's hated/dispissed/whatever for punditry despite what he did on the field that matters more than drivel he spouts on tv

James Peril

What I have against Keane is that he sold his soul when he went against Sir Alex, even talking down on him still today. Subtle digs, pathetic. In the future, everyone will know about Sir Alex, nobody will remember Roy Keane. Secondly, he is selling out by being a caricature of himself on TV, which goes against the proclaimed don’t care-persona he’s had for 25 years. Bashing Villa for celebrating not relegating is perhaps good for broadcasting, but it also makes him the clown of the show. Getting Piers Morgan-vibes, without the intelligence, vocabulary or delivery.

sparx99

In jermine jenas words 'yeah, no' I get that 100% and I'm not arguing against your point, just saying I don't understand why it feels so constant, like he's hated/dispissed/whatever for punditry despite what he did on the field that matters more than drivel he spouts on tv
He commentates on every other game of ours so he keeps it constant.

Grib

What I have against Keane is that he sold his soul when he went against Sir Alex, even talking down on him still today. Subtle digs, pathetic. In the future, everyone will know about Sir Alex, nobody will remember Roy Keane. Secondly, he is selling out by being a caricature of himself on TV, which goes against the proclaimed don’t care-persona he’s had for 25 years. Bashing Villa for celebrating not relegating is perhaps good for broadcasting, but it also makes him the clown of the show. Getting Piers Morgan-vibes, without the intelligence, vocabulary or delivery.
This is more what I don't understand, and not having a dig at you, just trying to understand

I assume you didn't have a problem with him when he was playing? If not why does his punditry and grief with feeling let down by SAF make your reaction be 'I don't like him because x' ?

el3mel

Keane is quite funny when you don't take his words seriously.

Neville talks a lot of nonsense though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't hate them. Off the pitch they are just not exeptional. Cantona at least still has great charisma and a sense of humour. I guess Neville gets too much time as a pundit to spout rubbish. Keane spends too much time trying to come off as well hard. Giggs is just dull and well you know did some cnutish things. I still think Beckham is a class gentleman. Evra and Ferdinand always come well off as well.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I think if you read what players who have been managed by Keane say about him, he's a pretty nice and caring bloke. The Roy Keane you see in front of cameras is the character Roy Keane; there's a bit of the real Roy in there but it's very exaggerated.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Personally, I like Phillip -- it was his wanking on public beach in Valencia that semented his legendary status as a United legend.
Erm. Havn't heard this story?

Smores

People hate any of our own who don't express the same fan bias as they do. It's as simple as that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Sooner you stop watching talking heads on TV, the sooner you'll be happier.

Keane, Gaz, even Scholes owes us nothing, they're not footballers anymore and now they're on different payroll.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fans would naturally develop a dislike to anyone who talks badly about Manchester United. Majority of these ex-players can never manage a nice word. I don’t see anyone ‘hate’ Rio or Evra - because they unapologetically love us (openly). Just like Micah Richards unapologetically loves City.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Keane's a funny one. After spending years coming across as a bitter, bitter old fart who I had no time for, Micah Richards has brought the best out of him and seems a lot more rounded, level headed. In the middle of a complete 180 with him.

Gary Neville is dead to me during commentary. Punditry isn't so bad, but he tries so hard to be impartial when commentating its actually a bit of a joke.

Ferdinand's always been class. Scholes can run his mouth a bit.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I think most here are happy to value players for what they have done on the pitch but then are also happy to accept that what they do off the pitch can taint things.

You can't blindly stand by and defend someone just because they broke records for United. Especially not if their off field (or on field, Keane for example) actions bring shame to their name or the club.

Look at the way so many Liverpool fans stuck by Suarez for example. It just makes you look stupid and obsessed, like some deranged cult member.