Why don't we win at Anfield anymore?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Yup! 22.03.2015

And it is the first time since then we are meeting at Anfield in March :wenger:
We beat them in January 2016.

I think LVG actually had a 100% win record there.. Which also means that we've never dropped points there with a dutch manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cause Liverpool have been better than us over the last half decade.

Real Name

There was a few games back even Ten Hag said the first half was rubbish.. we cannot keep conceding 1 v 1's and not getting punished. We have conceded clear cut chances in games and its not sustainable.
Imagine that. We concede clear cut chances in football games. That really happens?
No club has that good of a defense to not concede chances. When our defense let the chance slip there is De Gea to save and if nobody saves the chance we concede. It's that simple.
You'd thought we've been scrapping wins if you read your posts.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think last few years we have gone in with a not very good team and an inferiority complex. Now we have a much better team, better coaches than then, a better manager than then and we fear nobody.

romufc

Imagine that. We concede clear cut chances in football games. That really happens?
No club has that good of a defense to not concede chances. When our defense let the chance slip there is De Gea to save and if nobody saves the chance we concede. It's that simple.
You'd thought we've been scrapping wins if you read your posts.
Every team concedes chances, I agree but we are conceding too many at the moment, if you do not think so then that is your opinon, you are allowed to.

In my own opinion, I feel we need to start the games alot stronger in terms of dominating the games and not letting the opponents at us wave after wave.

All I said its not sustainable and better teams will punish us.

Lights Out

I remember in the 80’s when we were shite and they were dominating football and we’d always seem to get a decent result there.

One year we only won one away game all season and it was at Anfield! :lol:

bringbackbebe

One thing I'd like more than a comfortable win is for us to be in the backfoot for most of the game, only to do an O'Shea under dubious circumstances in the final minute of added time. Will serve them right based on their constant posts about referee favoritism.

Real Name

Every team concedes chances, I agree but we are conceding too many at the moment, if you do not think so then that is your opinon, you are allowed to.

In my own opinion, I feel we need to start the games alot stronger in terms of dominating the games and not letting the opponents at us wave after wave.

All I said its not sustainable and better teams will punish us.
In which games those waves and waves happened?

Also do you have some data to support the notion about us conceding too many chances?

What better teams will punish us?
We've beaten Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Arsenal so far this season. I can get better teams will punish us in August or September when we were still getting the grip of things but not in February. As I said according to you we're smash and grabbing wins for weeks now and we're due a destroying of some sort..

OldSchoolManc

What is the point for Liverpool of even playing this one.
It’s so guaranteed, Klopp should rest half the team.

romufc

In which games those waves and waves happened?

Also do you have some data to support the notion about us conceding too many chances?

What better teams will punish us?
We've beaten Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Arsenal so far this season. I can get better teams will punish us in August or September when we were still getting the grip of things but not in February. As I said according to you we're smash and grabbing wins for weeks now and we're due a destroying of some sort..

I am taking the teams we are competing with and Liverpool who are 6th.

https://footystats.org/clubs/manchester-united-fc-149
https://footystats.org/clubs/arsenal-fc-59
https://footystats.org/clubs/manchester-city-fc-93
https://footystats.org/clubs/liverpool-fc-151

We have a xG of goals against of 1.54 per game which is more than Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Brighton, which shows we concede plenty of good chances per game.

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t know what’s more scarier - playing them at Anfield or being sentenced to death row?

Real Name

I am taking the teams we are competing with and Liverpool who are 6th.

https://footystats.org/clubs/manchester-united-fc-149
https://footystats.org/clubs/arsenal-fc-59
https://footystats.org/clubs/manchester-city-fc-93
https://footystats.org/clubs/liverpool-fc-151

We have a xG of goals against of 1.54 per game which is more than Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Brighton, which shows we concede plenty of good chances per game.
The fact we're worse in xG of goals against than 4 clubs means we concede plenty of good chances?
What is our xG of goals against form overall?

romufc

The fact we're worse in xG of goals against than 4 clubs means we concede plenty of good chances?
What is our xG of goals against form overall?
https://footystats.org/england/premier-league/xg

Yes, thats what xG means. The higher the xG the higher the volume of clear cut chances conceded.

We are 6th in the PL on xG against, Chelsea have a lower xG against than us, we are same level as Villa / Southampton in terms of the chances we concede to teams.

We are also 6th in terms of xG for. So again, I say it, it is not sustainable how we are playing.

I rate the job Ten Hag has done but last few weeks, I have seen people get carried away because of the results, saying things like best trio in Varane, Martinez, Casemiro in the PL, yet we are conceding chances similar to Southampton and Villa.

tomaldinho1

Yes, thats what xG means. The higher the xG the higher the volume of clear cut chances conceded.

We are 6th in the PL on xG against, Chelsea have a lower xG against than us, we are same level as Villa / Southampton in terms of the chances we concede to teams.

We are also 6th in terms of xG for. So again, I say it, it is not sustainable how we are playing.

I rate the job Ten Hag has done but last few weeks, I have seen people get carried away because of the results, saying things like best trio in Varane, Martinez, Casemiro in the PL, yet we are conceding chances similar to Southampton and Villa.
That’s not how xG works. For example Team A xG of 1 versus Team B xG of 0.5:

Team A could have had lots and lots of long range efforts that add up to 1 versus Team B who had a single chance all game but it was a one on one. Most people would say Team A had no clear cut chances but Team B had 1 clear cut chance.

Real Name

Wanted to ask you what counts as xg goals against but @tomaldinho1 answered my question.
And I believe my eyes too, even though we tend to start slowly clubs have about 2 to 3 clear cut chances at most and there are certainly no waves and waves of attacks of how you put it.

Chief123

It's been a long time since our last victory at Anfield. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever win there again.
Yeah no chance we are winning this. I think they’ll beat us 6-0 but I’d happily take a 5-0 right now.

Fahad Jawaid

We have been very lucky with all home draws, will get a reality check against the mighty Reds. I am expecting a humbling against arguably the best team in the world.

tomaldinho1

No doubt in my mind a 10-0 win for Liverpool and an excellent display from all of their players, no GK howlers, no O.G's from VVD, no missed penalties, just flawless to a man.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Even when we were the best team in the world we lost against them at Anfield. No chance we're winning the next one. The loss against Madrid have woken them up defensively. Two clean sheets in a row.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
What's our record at Anfield is the last decade?

Danillaco

Unfortunately, this game is done and dusted.

Klopp's name backwards is Ppolk which is "winner of heavenly grin" in Dutch and ETH knows his vocabulary.

So, we should forfeit the game, accepting a 0-3 loss to avoid any further humiliations.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
They are the best team that football has ever seen so it’s no surprise we can’t go to Anfield and win. We should just concede the game now as far as I’m concerned.

Irwin99

We almost always played shite at Anfield even when they were terrible and we were competing for all trophies. For example, the 2006-2009 team won at Anfield twice but both were cagey 1-0s where we pretty much parked the bus for most of the game.

It's no wonder that shitty, disjointed, sloppy performances no longer translated to wins at Anfield once Liverpool got their act together and we descended into mediocrity.

A nice boring 0-0 will do me nicely on Sunday but I'm afraid they'll blitz us like they did Real Madrid except we won't have the nous and ability to get back from 2-0 down.
That rio ferdinand performance in the 1-0 game with the Tevez goal :drool: . Surprised no one's made a youtube compilation of it.

Alek M

Da manic one
I can see a nice 3-0 win. Catching them on counter. This team is ready for the fight. First time for Case, Antony, Licha, Weg in this game. It will be a lot of fun!

Mailo

Yea. Without a doubt. No point in playing this game. Just give them 6 points. Yes, its a 6-pointer.
I agree completely. This will be a galvanizing bashing by Liverpool to revive their season and push us out of top 4.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah, I see what you're doing.

Yeah it's shit that we never win at Anfield. It's also shit that for my birthday I won't get a gobble from the missus before seeing on the news that Putin's head randomly fell off.

Gazza

Darwin Nunez is in sparkling form for them, he almost scored a goal yesterday but didn’t. Worried about this one.