Why is red vs blue a colour clash?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
at this euros, we’re not seeing any red vs blue games, teams are always wearing their white away kits.I don’t understand why? We would never wear white against Chelsea or Everton.

jasT1981

Old tradition I believe dating back to when everyone had Black and White TVs. Red & Blue looked the same. Bit outdated now.

I've also heard colour blindness being mentioned in the past for this.

But surely couldn't be correct in todays times, could it?

decorativeed

UEFA and FIFA denote both red and blue as dark colours. They don't let two teams play each other while both wearing dark colours, so one team must wear a light colour such as yellow or white.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Spain vs Italy in 2012 was red vs blue.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I saw something on twitter about it being for colourblind fans watching on TV. Apparently the two colours are hard to distinguish if you’re colour blind.

no idea how true that is

led_scholes

I m sure in Moscow it was red vs blue.

Before it was red vs white indeed.

decorativeed

I'm presuming the reason we've got two light kits on the pitch today is because both teams have blue away kits.

abundance

Supports
Inter
It's not only for spectators for what I know.

It's also to help the most referees and linesman to distinguish whose leg torsos or asses are when players pile up on the ball.
Different brightness on top of different hue makes it easier at a glance.

And that's why the whole kit must be contrasting also.
A team in white shirt vs one in red shirt, and both with white shorts, wouldn't make much difference for the spectators to tell who's who, but it may for an official in awarding a corner I suppose.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I didn't think red blue was an issue for colour blindness. I know brown and red is from snooker but not red and blue. Mark William's once potted a brown believing it to be a red. In snooker though the blue is quite light so that probably makes a difference

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The England vs Ukraine game last night kinda kills the “light vs dark” theory. I can only assume it’s solely based on the preference of the teams?

decorativeed

The England vs Ukraine game last night kinda kills the “light vs dark” theory. I can only assume it’s solely based on the preference of the teams?
It's stuff like that which confuses everyone. The rules do seem to be arbitrarily applied. My theory was that both teams have blue change kits, but the designated away team - England - would have still have been playing against a team in yellow, same as when Ukraine and Sweden played.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's for color blind people. There's different types
If this was really such a big consideration, surely they'd make one team play in stripes or something, to really distinguish?